Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fluorescein View Post
    Even walking thru the scanner doesn't mean you won't get your "junk" touched as well. Read Dave Barry's column linked above.

I'm with milanessa. The TSA charade is intended to create an illusion - and obviously it works.
    Yes. My husband went through the scanner and got a pat down afterwards because he had a mint in a foil wrapper in his chest pocket.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    So when the next terrorist attempt involves a tampon like device all of you people are ready to lay back on a table, spread them and let some stranger off the street stick their fingers up you??
    I'm betting the terrorists have moved on to the drug mule trick....swallow condoms full of explosives, and head to the toilet on the plane. Of course, the initiator will still be tricky.

I think we need to harness some of nature's superpowers. There's got to be a bug or animal of some sort that can be trained to sniff out explosives even better than a dog....

http://www.cracked.com/article_18837...-possible.html

vCash
    As for those who (unlike this guy) are TRULY protesting/yelling about the invasion of privacy blah blah blah ... maybe we can have flights for those who want to not die in a sky terror episode, and those who want to whine about having their boxers, turbans, shoes, or what-not searched.
    yes please, I'd like that flight.

you know, I generally enjoy your posts, but you've really touched a nerve here. god knows I'm no tea-partyist, and I'm not even particularly modest, but I'm horrified as a law-abiding citizen that my government believes it has the right to undress me while I go about my lawful business.

sure, I want safety, but 100% safety is not possible. life is risky. get over it. I'm not willing to trade that much dignity for the illusion of safety. beacuse these machines don't make us safer, not when the money spent on them- (I've heard diffferent figures- but generally between $150,000 and $200,000, or ten times what a metal detector costs (oh, and by the way, Chertoff, who made to the decision to use them, invested heavily in the company that makes the machines. was he thinking safety, or ka-ching?)- the money spent on them could be better spent on screening cargo- most of which is not scanned before loaded onto a plane).

yes, bad people want to kill me for the crime of having been born American. and guess what? even if we start randomly pulling peple aside for cavity searches, and one of them will almost certainly succeed in blowing up a plane. and yet I'm more frightened of you, because you see nothing wrong with trading in my right to not be sexually assaulted so that you can pretend that you are safe.

oh, and by the way, there's no opt-out for children. so either your kid will be photographed naked (and doused with radiation in the process), or molested by a stranger. we may disagree on whether that's acceptable for an adult, but if you think it's ok to put a kid through this so, again, you can pretend that you're safe, you're sick.

Does Mr. "Don't touch my junk" really think that the TSA agents get some sort of thrill from feeling up strangers? It's their job. And it's a sucky job. They have to put their hands on hundreds of strangers a day.
    one of the more interesting arguments I ever heard against torture was about what it does to the torturer. the problems were: some became terribly distraught by what their 'job' entailed. and some got to like it.

Besides, if you don/t want to be patted down, then just walk through the scanner. Or don't fly.
    if you're that frightened by the thought of terrorism, don't fly. also, don't ever leave your house. they could be anywhere.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Not too sure how I feel about the new body scanners, but for me it is a non-issue. I have an artificial heart valve and a pace maker, so I have no choice in the matter. It is a pat down for me whether I like it or not if I want to fly.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    if you're that frightened by the thought of terrorism, don't fly. also, don't ever leave your house. they could be anywhere.
    If you're that frightened by the thought of "having your junk checked/touched", don't fly. Also, don't ever leave your house. Junk touchers could be anywhere.

Again, flying is a priviledge. Not a right. Noone has to fly.

vCash
    wrong. travel is a right. and I can't swim to Cambodia.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Flying is a form of transportation, not a privilege.

Or did you mean flying is becoming a privilege to those who don't mind a little groping and a loss of dignity?

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    wrong. travel is a right. and I can't swim to Cambodia.
    Who said anything about "travel being a right"? We were talking about flying. You have the right to travel anywhere you want. There are boats, trains, buses, taxis, cars, horses, mules....and legs.

Noone has to fly anywhere if they don't want to be searched.

Everyone has the priviledge to drive a car. But noone has the right to drive a car drunk. Innocent people get killed.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 11-16-2010 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    If you're that frightened by the thought of "having your junk checked/touched", don't fly. Also, don't ever leave your house. Junk touchers could be anywhere.

Again, flying is a priviledge. Not a right. Noone has to fly.
    Some perv on the street is not the same as government-mandated junk touching. And yes, in this day and age flying is absolutely a necessity for many people, whether for work, to be with our family, to receive medical treatment, or whatever. I'm really shocked at the number of people who blithely accept this as something that improves our safety. I'm no terrorist and I can sit here for a minute or two and come up with about 30 different ways to get around those scanners. But now that we've made Grandma bend over and take one for the team, I guess we can all relax!

vCash
    Have any of you actually seen the images from the scanners? Because no one is being "photographed naked."

I don't enjoy being groped at the airport, either, so I use the scanner.

And I get that some people who use the scanner also get checked by hand. That also happened with the metal detector.

So some of you who don't want to use the scanner, but don't want the body search, what do you propose? Go back to the metal detectors? (I would be fine with this.) But it seems as if some of you think we should have minimal checking to get on flights. I don't agree with that. As for the "a terrorist is going to get on eventually," I agree. But I would like to make it a bit difficult for them.

The next one might not be as incompetent as the Shoe and Underwear bombers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I don't enjoy being groped at the airport, either, so I use the scanner. So some of you who don't want to use the scanner, but don't want the body search, what do you propose? Go back to the metal detectors? (I would be fine with this.)
    Actually, "unclothed images" don't concern me much at all. I worry more about possible health risks from the scanners -- even if there are only very small doses of ionizing radiation, for frequent flyers, the cumulative dosage could add up to something that might cause problems (especially those who have specific susceptibilities). From CNN:
    While the TSA says the machines are safe, backscatter technology raises concerns among some because it uses small doses of ionizing radiation. The use of millimeter-wave technology hasn't received the same attention, and radiation experts say it poses no known health risks.

The risk of harmful radiation exposure from backscatter scans is very small, according to David Brenner, director of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University and a professor of radiation biophysics.

But he said he is concerned about how widely the scanners will be used. .. Skin cancer would likely be the primary concern, he said. Each time the same person receives a backscatter scan, the small risk associated with the low dose of radiation is multiplied by the number of exposures. Brenner said the risk to an individual is "very small indeed" for a single scan. He said he is most concerned about frequent fliers, pilots and young people, because children are more sensitive to radiation.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I have a solution. Mandate that all TSA screeners have a degree in proctology/gynecology. Problem solved. Degrees paid for at taxpayers expense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Have any of you actually seen the images from the scanners? Because no one is being "photographed naked."
    Yes, I've seen them, and they look pretty naked to me. Sure it's fuzzy, but you can see every contour of the body. I'm not a prude or anything, but they are naked enough that it feels very much like an invasion of privacy to me. Also, whatever the fuzziness of the picture I find the whole experience of the scanner very undignified - having to stand there in front of uniformed guards and a slew of random people, with my legs spread apart and my arms in the air like some sort of convict so that a stranger can examine my a** crack takes away my dignity. I was actually shaking with anger at how I was treated when I encountered one of these scanners at the tail end of 30 hours of flying back to the US.

If you agree this kind of security isn't likely to keep terrorists at bay, is this treatment of people worth it to "make it a little bit difficult" for terrorists? If they've gotten past all the intelligence, the CIA, etc., the TSA guys are going to be the ones to catch them? My sister is a forgetful packer and routinely gets boxcutters and very sharp fiskar scissors through security. You could probably do a lot of damage with a filed/sharpened credit card. By the time a terrorist arrives at airport security they'll know exactly how to get past it and in my opinion they're probably attracted to the challenge - otherwise why not target crowded events, ferries, trains, etc. that have little to no security?

So some of you who don't want to use the scanner, but don't want the body search, what do you propose? Go back to the metal detectors? (I would be fine with this.)
    Yes, I much preferred that level of security, dubious though I am that either form of security measure really stops much. At least you can't just walk on with a gun and blow people away. But I draw the line at being effectively strip searched.

vCash
    yes, I have:

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/uploaded_ima...808-726403.jpg

cnn felt the need to blur out the groin area in its stories on the issue. I will never willingly consent to have one of these images made of me. your mileage may vary.

So some of you who don't want to use the scanner, but don't want the body search, what do you propose? Go back to the metal detectors? (I would be fine with this.)
    they still use metal detectors. and I'm fine with that.

But it seems as if some of you think we should have minimal checking to get on flights. I don't agree with that.
    neither do I. just to be clear, I want security. I just want smart security. I'm not advocating that we get rid of metal detectors. I don't believe the strip-search machine provides enough of a security upgrade to metal detectors to justify their use, or the expense.

As for the "a terrorist is going to get on eventually," I agree. But I would like to make it a bit difficult for them.
    yes. what is the best way to go about this?

vCash
    some slightly good news, now they're saying that children under 12 will not have to submit to the pat-down. of course, children over the age of 12 are still screwed. oh, and of course, now the terrorists will just strap the bomb onto a child.

vCash
    I must agree with the folks that say if you don't want to play the TSA game, find another way to travel. It is not my right to fly or to tell the airlines how to run their airline or how much to charge etc...It's the same with this damn toll booth I pay every day. I don't have to pay it; I can find another way to work. It's just faster and more convenient.

I hated flying after the whole 'take off your flip flops off and step forward' routine...and you can only have one plastic baggie or some such nonsense but if I have to fly I need to play by their rules (as silly as I may think they are) or transport myself another way.

I hope this douche enjoys his 15 minutes.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I hope this douche enjoys his 15 minutes.
    Funny, the story has been covered thoroughly today, but I haven't seen him. Maybe he's not doing interviews.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I don't think he was looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

vCash
    So when the next terrorist attempt involves a tampon like device all of you people are ready to lay back on a table, spread them and let some stranger off the street stick their fingers up you??
    I don't think anyone said they'd be ok with that. Patdowns are not a gateway to TSA agents giving you rectal exams and handy-j's. They are not going to implement something that would cause mass hysteria like that, and that is just gross. If you are talented enough to get that weapon in that way, then props to you, and go on the plane with your bad self. But don't come crying to me when the weapon detonates inside you and literally tears you a new one...

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I don't think he was looking for his 15 minutes of fame.
    I think he was looking for his 15 mins of fame. I believe he had an agenda before he even went to the airport. Oh, and he just happened to tape the whole thing from the start. Then he illegally left the airport terminal(which he may also be slapped with an $11k fine), and ran home and posted it on youtube to prove his agenda.

And yes he has done interviews. From what I saw, I don't think any TSA agent would get a thrill touching his junk. Really creepy looking/talking guy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast