Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abbott wins 3rd title

87 68.50%
  • Rippon wins 1st title

25 19.69%
  • Mroz wins 1st title

5 3.94%
  • Lysacek surprises many by returning and then performs well enough and wins 4th title

5 3.94%
  • other

5 3.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    ^ You completely lost me when you claimed Rippon is a better skater than Abbott. I don't get that AT ALL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Maria hovered around the podium for years. It was clear she was always probably going to get there at some point if she stayed long enough.
    2 years, to be exact: 4th in 96 and 5th in 97.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    For judgejudy27, "better skater" usually means better competitor in the major international competitions (Worlds, Olympics). Although Rippon and Mroz are both still unproven in that regard.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    The odds of Jeremy ever winning a World medal are quite small at this point.
    With all due respect, you also predicted that Evan would never see another World podium after his bad 2008 GP season, but things didn't quite turn out that way. So why the dire predictions for Jeremy? If he's on, he'll be in the mix for World medals. He just needs to pace himself to peak at the right time this season. Hopefully he and Adam can push each other to great success!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    you also predicted that Evan would never see another World podium after his bad 2008 GP season, but things didn't quite turn out that way.
    Being Mr. Know-It-All isn't the same thing as actually knowing it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For judgejudy27, "better skater" usually means better competitor in the major international competitions (Worlds, Olympics). Although Rippon and Mroz are both still unproven in that regard.
    Funny how that comparision did not hold true for you and others when comparing Evan to Abbott though.

And you are right Rippon and Mroz are unproven in that regard. What we do know is Jeremy is hardly that strong in your new definition of better skater (World and Olympic showings). Rippon at his 1st Worlds missed matching Abbotts best placing in 4 combined World and Olympics by 1 spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    With all due respect, you also predicted that Evan would never see another World podium after his bad 2008 GP season, but things didn't quite turn out that way. So why the dire predictions for Jeremy? If he's on, he'll be in the mix for World medals. He just needs to pace himself to peak at the right time this season. Hopefully he and Adam can push each other to great success!
    So I was wrong on Evan, as were 95% of the posters on FSU. You know someone started a poll about the medalists at the 2009 Worlds in late 2008 and Evan had about 4 votes out of over 100 at that point.

International judges highly respect Evan and he was always a huge threat to the best in their eyes when he was on and his usual consistent self. He lost that in late 2008 and was struggling with his confidence and downgrades, but once he found it back it was easy for him to be right at the top again. I like most all others did not think this highly talented and very determined skater would ever get it all together again but he did.

Abbott on the other hand is not seen and never has been seen by international judges as even being close to the likes of Takahashi, Chan, and many others. Just look at the SP of Worlds last year. And that is only accessing his chances if he were to actually put it all together, which is already an unlikely enough proposition for him. Add to that he is already 25. A world medal at any point for him in the future now is a real long shot although he has a tiny shot of sneaking out a bronze sometime maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    2 years, to be exact: 4th in 96 and 5th in 97.
    and 4th at the 98 Olympics too. So basically almost 3 whole seasons, even counting her years of World and Olympics only. And she was a contender in 94 and 95 too, she just didnt make it to Worlds with the tight competition and limited spots in Russia. At the 94 Europeans she beat the eventual World bronze medalist, and in 95 she would have been a contender at Worlds too.

vCash
    and 4th at the 98 Olympics too. So basically almost 3 whole seasons, even counting her years of World and Olympics only. And she was a contender in 94 and 95 too, she just didnt make it to Worlds with the tight competition and limited spots in Russia. At the 94 Europeans she beat the eventual World bronze medalist, and in 95 she would have been a contender at Worlds too.
    That's a pretty loose definition of "hovering around the Worlds podium" but whatever works for you.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Maria had been close to medalling at the 96 Worlds, 97 Worlds, and 98 Olympics. In 96 she should have but was robbed by an overscored Slutskaya so came 4th. In 97 and 98 Oly she missed the bronze by .1 of one judge or one tiny mistake. If that doesnt meet your standards for hovering around the podium for years then whatever.

vCash
    My "standard" is pretty simple. In order to hover around the Worlds podium for years, you actually have to be participating in the event for years. No coulda/shoulda/woulda.

vCash
    Abbott - If he delivers competent performances, I think US judges will give him his 3d title. So far, he's started out well - 2d at NHK to Dai. He looks well-paced and more consistent thus far

Rippon - Starting w/ the JPN Open, I would've figured him to be a serious contender for the title but he's been sliding in the wrong direction this season. He seems to get upset with himself very easily. I hope the 3x problems are a blip. I wonder if practicing the Quad is throwing off his 3x technique

Mroz - Despite the great performance at CoC, I think for Brandon to slot higher than Abbott or Rippon, he will have to hit one out of the park and expect either Abbot or Rippon to go subpar. However, the judges showed that they will reward Brandon for good performances ['09]. I think the fact that he's one US man going after the Quad puts him in good stead with the judges and the USFSA.

Mahbanoozadeh - He's slowly moving up but it would take mistakes by the other 3, and great performances by him, to climb onto the team IMO. He will probably be rewarded with a trip to 4CCs.

FTR, I'd like to see Carriere regain some of his past top 10 Worlds composure.

Of course, there is time for all of this to turn around. Want to see Mroz and Abbott at their next GPs

vCash
    My "standard" is pretty simple. In order to hover around the Worlds podium for years, you actually have to be participating in the event for years. No coulda/shoulda/woulda.
    1996, 1997, 1998 (at the Olympics, that years biggest event) is years. End of.

vCash
    If Ryan comes back, I'm rooting for him to get his first National title. I'd be a happy panda

Title-less
    vCash
    Jeremy has a good shot of winning again but I'm kinda hoping someone else will take this title.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Johnny does have a World medal, not gold, but a medal. He has also other finishes of 4th and 5th at Worlds. Jeremy thus far has just a single 5th place showing at Worlds. And Johnny has been dominant on the grand prix circuit in both the 04-05 and 07-08 seasons winning all 4 of his regualar grand prix assignements those 2 seasons.
    Jeremy was also 2008-2009 GPF Champion. That should count for something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Jeremy was also 2008-2009 GPF Champion. That should count for something.
    Definitely. However overall Weirs international record is still clearly superior to Abbott at this point with his World medal, his other top World/Olympic finishes, and all his grand prix wins and medals. He was at one point a proven force on the international level and a bonafide major contender, whereas people just hope Abbott can become one.

vCash
    He was at one point a proven force on the international level and a bonafide major contender
    When was this, exactly?

vCash
    2008-09 season, when he won the GPF?

vCash
    2008-09 season, when he won the GPF?
    That was Abbott, my dear Nomad! Abbott! I'm asking about Weir (to whom judgejudy27 was referring).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast