Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ From what it looks like, Murakami has a great chance at medalling this year. I mean her PCS is skyrocketing for someone who just came out of juniors with less hype than what Kim and Asada got when they got out of juniors.
    I agree, but because we aren't sure if she'll even be on the team, it's hard to say. For example, I don't think Akiko will medal at worlds but do think it is possible that she might beat Kanako at nationals and be named to the World team instead so we shall see.

Also, if Mao keeps imploding, are we sure JSF just wouldn't send Miki, Kanako, and Akiko instead? I know for the Olympics it was one thing, but honestly, if Mao doesn't have it together she really should not be competing at all this season and it would seem silly to send her if 3 other ladies are skating well and she isn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I agree, but because we aren't sure if she'll even be on the team, it's hard to say. For example, I don't think Akiko will medal at worlds but do think it is possible that she might beat Kanako at nationals and be named to the World team instead so we shall see.

Also, if Mao keeps imploding, are we sure JSF just wouldn't send Miki, Kanako, and Akiko instead? I know for the Olympics it was one thing, but honestly, if Mao doesn't have it together she really should not be competing at all this season and it would seem silly to send her if 3 other ladies are skating well and she isn't.
    It also depends on how Kanako and Akiko do in GPF. I imagine it's hard choice for JSF regarding Mao, but I think if she's in not good condition by nationals, I think there won't be a big fuss about it. Mao has always been someone who abided by the rules.

vCash
    ^ Akiko is fairly consistent, and Kanako has had strong performances in the past. But even Akiko has been increasing her reputation in front of the judges (her PCS have also risen). I'd put my money on Akiko for now.

vCash
    ITA. I think Miki has a great shot at another World title, and Flatt, Nagasu, Gao (whoever is on the World team) could have a good shot at medaling. The field is so totally wide open now, with Laura, Carolina injured, Mao imploding, Yuna and Joannie as question marks, Mirai still recovering, Rachael working hard on the 3lz-3lo, Alissa's seeming comeback, Ksenia being a force on the senior circut, and the last spot on the Japanese World team undetermined (likely a battle between Murakami and Suzuki).
    The fact she is already training it is very unlikely Kim wont be at Worlds and she only has to show up at 75% to beat Ando and 65% to beat most of those others you named. So unless Kim formally retires nobody you mentioned has a good shot. If the field stays as weak as it has been this season I would be surprised if Joannie doesnt show up too. And last year Mao was this bad and had her act together bigtime for the Olympics and Worlds, skating at a level none of those you mentioned can hope to aspire to right now. So we will see what happens this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The fact she is already training it is very unlikely Kim wont be at Worlds and she only has to show up at 75% to beat Ando and 65% to beat most of those others you named. So unless Kim formally retires nobody you mentioned has a good shot. If the field stays as weak as it has been this season I would be surprised if Joannie doesnt show up too. And last year Mao was this bad and had her act together bigtime for the Olympics and Worlds, skating at a level none of those you mentioned can hope to aspire to right now. So we will see what happens this time.
    Yuna is going to have to change her usual layout for Worlds though do to the new 2a rules, meaning unless she brings back the 3lo she will have to leave out the 3lz-3t or the 2a-3t and that will give her less of an advantage. Also we don't know how the judges will score her, it seems like in general scores this season are much lower than in past seasons...

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Yuna is going to have to change her usual layout for Worlds though do to the new 2a rules, meaning unless she brings back the 3lo she will have to leave out the 3lz-3t or the 2a-3t and that will give her less of an advantage.
    She could do:

3Lutz+3toe
    3flip
    2Axel
    3toe+2toe+2loop
    x3Salchow
    x3Lutz
    x2Axel+2toe

This layout wouldn't be too different points-wise from her old layout. Kim's layout isn't what really gave her an advantage; her quality of execution did.

vCash
    For Yuna, it really depends on her motivation and how well she is adapting to this coaching change. But if no one steps up by then, it's going to be pretty easy for her. I am hoping Joannie will come back, Mao will start to regain her form, and others like Mirai will start to show more of their potential or else it's going to be a snoozefest.

vCash

Lepisto on GP circuit

Is she competing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    They can't skate clean because their program contents are beyond their capabilities. Same thing could be said to many "inconsistent" skaters, like Lambiel, Chan, Rochette, Cohen...
    Well that's nonsense, since the only jump Susanna missed in her LP at the Olympics was the salchow, that she doubled and can clearly do in her sleep.

Korpii also went clean in 2006 Euros to make the Olympic team.

I won't even bother point out Lambiel's perfect FP at worlds 2006...oops, just did.

vCash
    At the moment the challengers seem to be:

Miki / Mao (despite the horrendous start) / Suzuki

Nagasu / Czisny ( I refuse to believe any judge would let Flatt medal)

Makarova (more top 6 than medals), Korpii (very unlikely that she'd ever go clean)

Phaneuf (has the capacity)

___
    MIA: Kim, Rochette, Lepisto

Since I love a good underdog, a Podium of Korpii (on the senior scene since 2005), Suzuki (since 2002), Phaneuf (2004) and or Czisny (2004) would be EPIC. With the exception of Suzuki, they are all serial under performers who have only ever shown flashes of their capabilities (Cynthia 5th at Worlds, Korpii 4th in the Worlds SP, Czisny on the GP and Suzuki on the GP circuit too.)

vCash
    I can't help wonder if Christina Gao makes the World team, which at this point seems like it could totally happen, if she might be able to sneak up onto the World's podium Meissner style ala 06, bring the 3-3s and take advantage of the open field. She is easily capable of getting the highest TES and if she goes clean her PCS won't be huge but should be sufficient enough to keep her on the medal stand.

vCash
    I can't help wonder if Christina Gao makes the World team, which at this point seems like it could totally happen, if she might be able to sneak up onto the World's podium Meissner style ala 06, bring the 3-3s and take advantage of the open field. She is easily capable of getting the highest TES and if she goes clean her PCS won't be huge but should be sufficient enough to keep her on the medal stand.
    Your scenario of Miki Ando winning Worlds and Gao medalling would require Kim to not show up at all (in addition to Rochette not showing up, Mao continuing to suck and probably missing the Japanese team, and everyone else continuing to skate their worst as most people have this season so far). After all just imagine how many falls over both programs Yu Na Kim would have to have to lose to Christina Gao, 5 or 6.

vCash
    Your scenario of Miki Ando winning Worlds and Gao medalling would require Kim to not show up at all (in addition to Rochette not showing up, Mao continuing to suck and probably missing the Japanese team, and everyone else continuing to skate their worst as most people have this season so far). After all just imagine how many falls over both programs Yu Na Kim would have to have to lose to Christina Gao, 5 or 6.
    Maybe Brian will be the one to get the last laugh. (Sorry just had to say that. )

vCash
    I had in mind a podium with Miki, Yuna, and Christina. Akiko, Kanako, Mao all so far seem hit or miss with their jumps this season, and one of them won't even be there. Imagine if Christina finishes ahead of Yuna at Worlds, I bet that would make Orser feel pretty good about himself! And I mean honestly, there's a chance Gao could be the JGPF champion and US champion come Worlds and if she is (or even manages to medal at both events), if she skates well her PCS should get a big boost. I mean, Mirai smashed her former personal best by like 22 points at the Olympics, these things can happen.

vCash
    I believe I read in another thread that Kim is in training and may compete at Worlds. If so, and if she skates anywhere near her best (neither of which is a given at this point), I think she has a lock on gold. Otherwise, I think Lepistö with a SP with a 3T+3T, 3R, 2A and an LP with a 3Z, two 3R's (one in combo), a 3S (in combo), and a 3T+3T, plus super-high PCS, is right up there with the best of them. She won a bronze medal at Worlds without landing all of her planned content.

As for Korpi, skating her programs clean and as planned apparently means landing a 3T+3T in both the SP and LP. The 3T has been her weakest jump (other than the 3A, which she's reportedly practiced but never attempted in competition), and she didn't even attempt it last season. If she can skate clean land all of her jumps, then she's potentially got a killer SP and an LP with seven triples (including two 3R's), and her PCS will go up. On the other hand, without the 3T's, she'd have a two-triple SP and a five-triple LP and would probably end up in the lower half of the Top Ten. That said, I'd love to see her master the 3T this season and skate clean at Worlds.

vCash
    I had in mind a podium with Miki, Yuna, and Christina. Akiko, Kanako, Mao all so far seem hit or miss with their jumps this season, and one of them won't even be there. Imagine if Christina finishes ahead of Yuna at Worlds, I bet that would make Orser feel pretty good about himself! And I mean honestly, there's a chance Gao could be the JGPF champion and US champion come Worlds and if she is (or even manages to medal at both events), if she skates well her PCS should get a big boost. I mean, Mirai smashed her former personal best by like 22 points at the Olympics, these things can happen.
    It's not like Yuna to come unprepared, especially since she's building up for this one event. But I do think you have a point. If the field remains this weak come March, it is likely that Gao will play a factor if she gets to go this year, because frankly she has competing and doing well in a far deeper field than the senior ladies this year. If Mirai doesn't step up by Nationals, I can see Gao taking it.

vCash
    The Olympics were very inflated, so there's not much of a comparison that can be made. Besides that, I don't think Gao should be on the team this year. She certainly has demonstrated that could do well on the World team, but I don't think it would be a good idea to send her with her lack of experience. She does seem prone to nerves in competition, and I don't think it's smart to send a girl who's never had experience on the international senior level. Same goes for Zawadzki. But I would definitely count them in for next year.

vCash
    I had in mind a podium with Miki, Yuna, and Christina.
    Yu Na would have to skate pretty awful to finish behind either Miki or Christina. That is my point. Even though both are World Champions the judges view Yu Na at a whole other level than Miki Ando. Unless Yu Na announces she is not going to Worlds someone like Ando certainly does not have a great shot or even a good shot at winning as you keep repeating. And if Yu Na skates well enough to medal (even if not great for her) the judges will for sure give her the gold unless someone like Mao or even Rochette shows up and skates lights out.

And frankly I would be very surprised if Gao was on the World podium at all this year inspite of he open field. Murakami is clearly above Gao at this point even with Gao improving, and even she isnt likely to medal at Worlds. In fact I still dont see her even making the U.S team but I do concede she could make it, but I wouldnt bet on it at this point.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 11-17-2010 at 01:49 AM.

vCash
    Yu Na would have to skate pretty awful to finish behind either Miki or Christina. That is my point. Even though both are World Champions the judges view Yu Na at a whole other level than Miki Ando. Unless Yu Na announces she is not going to Worlds someone like Ando certainly does not have a great shot or even a good shot at winning as you keep repeating.

And frankly I would be very surprised if Gao was on the World podium at all this year inspite of he open field. Murakami is clearly above Gao at this point even with Gao improving, and even she isnt likely to medal at Worlds. In fact I still dont see her even making the U.S team but I do concede she could make it, but I wouldnt bet on it at this point.
    I didn't mean in that order, if Yuna is back to her old form she should easily win, but we don't know what she'll do there and it will be her first competition in a year so it's hard to tell what she will do.

Murakami is not clearly above Gao, Christina put up a 58+ score in the SP at JGP Graz which is higher than both of Kanako's SP scores this season, and she scored 108 and 109 for her FS that had mistakes and one less element than a senior FS, Kanako beat that by like 2 points at SA but take out the spiral and she's below that. Christina has also been more consistent with her jumps thus far, their spins are comparable, and Gao probably has jumps that are more prone to +GOE. They are very comparable and if anyone is ahead at this point I'd say it's Gao.

Further, if Christina is clean at nationals and hits 3f-3t in the SP and FS I don't see her not being on the World team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    The Olympics were very inflated, so there's not much of a comparison that can be made. Besides that, I don't think Gao should be on the team this year. She certainly has demonstrated that could do well on the World team, but I don't think it would be a good idea to send her with her lack of experience. She does seem prone to nerves in competition, and I don't think it's smart to send a girl who's never had experience on the international senior level. Same goes for Zawadzki. But I would definitely count them in for next year.
    If the Olympics were so inflated, how do you explain Mirai's SP score at Worlds?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast