Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Varies by country a great deal.
    In the US, though- Evan. I saw Olympics with my SIL who is a professional modern dancer with a lot of experience - and she liked Evan's attack, thought he stood out and had complete, convincing movement. And that was before the results.

vCash
    Quite a few Canadian skaters/teams..

Bourne and Kraatz.
    Elvis Stojko.
    Sale and Pelletier (although they might have fallen out of public favour lately. I'm not sure.)

Evan Lysacek too.

Edit: Ohh and how could I forget PChiddy?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    I'm talking about those skaters who just can't catch a break no matter what.

Who would be examples of this, IYO??
    (I assume you mean can't catch a break in the online world)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Who would be examples of this, IYO??
    (I assume you mean can't catch a break in the online world)

Some who come to mind are Plushenko, Chan, Lysacek, Emily Hughes, Mira Leung, Bonaly, J Baldwin, Slutskaya to some extent, Sale and Morozov and Shpilband (last 2 for their choreo/coaching)

Yes they have their fans - but online - well at least FSU - whenever their names come up, numerous hate-filled posts seem to follow.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 11-15-2010 at 12:09 AM.

vCash
    Oda for his inability to count takes a lot of blows online, but otherwise I'd say he's popular.

vCash
    My comment is about fans in general.

The difference between casual fans and those who get on forums are the ones who get on forums are extremely passionate about skating and want to find others they can discuss it with in great depth.

The casual fan, whilst they will watch it and have a general like for it, can take it or leave it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Casuals seem to remember Sarah Hughes fondly.

vCash
    Patrick Chan, though maybe the online hate will decrease now that he's doing the quads about which his quotes caused much of the hate...

Jamie Sale - people online don't seem to hate David as much as Jamie, but the public seems to adore her so much (and him not quite as much). Me: I want to smack her upside the head.

Carolina Kostner in a smaller way.

vCash
    Rachael Flatt and Alissa Czisny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Rachael Flatt and Alissa Czisny.
    Since when has Alissa been disliked online? Aside from DrFinkelstein's (where'd he go, btw) disdain for her Chiclet teeth and supposedly nasty true self, I don't recall anyone else expressing a clear dislike for Alissa. She takes some criticism for being a headcase, but she is indeed one so that criticism is justified. There was also some flak when she won Nats and made the World team last year (including from me), but that was mainly directed at the judges who placed her in a position that she couldn't possibly live up to given her competitive history.

I mean, if Alissa is popularly disliked online, Rachael must be one of the most vilified skaters in history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Since when has Alissa been disliked online? Aside from DrFinkelstein's (where'd he go, btw) disdain for her Chiclet teeth and supposedly nasty true self, I don't recall anyone else expressing a clear dislike for Alissa. She takes some criticism for being a headcase, but she is indeed one so that criticism is justified. There was also some flak when she won Nats and made the World team last year (including from me), but that was mainly directed at the judges who placed her in a position that she couldn't possibly live up to given her competitive history.

I mean, if Alissa is popularly disliked online, Rachael must be one of the most vilified skaters in history.
    I meant the headcase thing and her national title, she's gotten a lot of criticism. Sure most people agree she's pretty and nice and a great spinner, but many online posters seem to get VERY frustrated by her.

vCash
    I meant the headcase thing and her national title, she's gotten a lot of criticism. Sure most people agree she's pretty and nice and a great spinner, but many online posters seem to get VERY frustrated by her.
    Being very frustrated with her does not equate to people actively disliking her.

Lots of parents get frustrated with their kids and criticize them plenty, but that hardly means that they dislike their children (at least I hope not!).

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    Casuals seem to remember Sarah Hughes fondly.

I think she should be the poster child for this thread.

vCash
    I would add Sarah Hughes, Virtue/Moir(disliked rather than hated). No one doubts V/M talent technique wise but some as myself have issues with the other aspects of their performance and skating.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Patrick Chan, though maybe the online hate will decrease now that he's doing the quads about which his quotes caused much of the hate....
    I don't think people online dislike his skating. It's his comments and or his scores that draw the ire of posters.

vCash

The only real "venon" (frustration not being being the same as venon, IMHO) surrounding ACzisny was her 2009 Nationals win and being sent to 2009 Worlds.
    The venon seemed to be the same that comes out towards judges and FS officials continually...Alissa's results and her assignment just happened to be what triggered it at that time.
    I guess there has certainly been a lack of confidence in her generally...some express it more harshly than others.
    I notice this is true about a lot of skaters here.

Rachel seems to invoke apathy more than venom for those who aren't big fans of hers.

Like art (and PCS scores), "venom" is in the eye of the beholder.

vCash
    The Hughes Sisters.

The GP just thinks of them as "those two Olympics-winning sisters." It's all fogged-up in their minds: She's a Hughes - She's skates - she's been on TV - Must both be Olympic gold medalists.

Related to Hughes name: Robin Wagner. I don't think that the GP has any idea how much the internet skating fans loathe that poor lady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    ..... Virtue/Moir(disliked rather than hated). No one doubts V/M talent technique wise but some as myself have issues with the other aspects of their performance and skating.
    Really? I hope that they don't have "Vomitorium Mouth" like Chan, do they?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Michael Weiss.

BTW, my DH (who knows almost nothing about skating) does not know John Baldwin's name, but knows he messes up the jumps every time. He also calls him "that guy who would never get that girl in real life". Bahaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    Michael Weiss.....
    Still? I thought that had ended a long time ago.

Yes, I recall the late 90s/early '00s when he and the family were all about the p.r. and show-boating, sticking his kids in front of the cameras, etc. Michael and the family have totally matured, not just because of the Foundation and such.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast