Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Buzz, there's a part of me that thinks that FIFA may know that Qatar can't hack it and since that both England and the USA would need very little notice to host, FIFA has nice back stops should they feel the need.

vCash
    Barcelona has ended their 111 year history of not accepting commercial sponcership of their team shirts by signing a $125m deal with the Qatar foundation. Barcelona lost about $64m last season and I guess money talks everything else walks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/9276343.stm
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Well KHenry14 it would seem that the idea of moving the WC to January to avoid the terrible heat is gaining momentum less than a week after Qatar was given the WC. Now Michel Platini has given his support to the idea of a Winter WC. I guess that this could bring the tournament in conflict with not just the European leagues but also with the Winter Olympics seems to be bother no one. Are these crazy fools trying to ruin the WC?!

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/62...-cup-in-qatar-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Well KHenry14 it would seem that the idea of moving the WC to January to avoid the terrible heat is gaining momentum less than a week after Qatar was given the WC. Now Michel Platini has given his support to the idea of a Winter WC. I guess that this could bring the tournament in conflict with not just the European leagues but also with the Winter Olympics seems to be bother no one. Are these crazy fools trying to ruin the WC?!

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/62...-cup-in-qatar-
    Well, the suggestion is made by Franz Beckenbauer and later supported by Platini. Beckenbauer was the lone vote Australian bid received. I do think Qatar more than enough money (and willing to spend more than required) to air condition the entire stadium and areas of interest for the world cup. As for as they not being ready, i don't think that should a concern, since they hosted a relatively very good Doha 2006 Asiad games which required a lot of construction and brand new stadium. I think the stadiums will be ready too early.

Winter Olympics is usually held in February not January and more than enough time to cram it in if FIFA insist on having it Jan.

vCash
    I still say no way man! A week ago they won on the promise that new technology they were developing was gonna make sure the heat will not be a problem. Now some are saying it is too hot in June/July and should be moved?! What happens to the different leagues, the Champions League? Not to mention the last WC qualifiying games are held earth in the year of the championship. If it is so unsafe for fans and players then move the tournment elsewhere.

Oh yeah and there was a brawl earlier in Moscow resulting in someone getting shot and killed. The shootter says it was shelf defence. Nontheless, there was a huuuuge protest in the centre of moscow by Spartak fans who were sending off flares, and chanting nationalist and racist slogans about "Russia for Russians" and "Moscow for Moscovites". The police made several arrests and there was another incident during the CL match in Slovenia. Spartak fans sent off flares and and the match had to be stopped for 20 minutes. Spartak won 2-1.
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-12-2010 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    I still say no way man! A week ago they won on the promise that new technology they were developing was gonna make sure the heat will not be a problem. Now some are saying it is too hot in June/July and should be moved?! What happens to the different leagues, the Champions League? Not to mention the last WC qualifiying games are held earth in the year of the championship. If it is so unsafe for fans and players then move the tournment elsewhere.

Oh yeah and there was a brawl earlier in Moscow resulting in someone getting shot and killed. The shootter says it was shelf defence. Nontheless, there was a huuuuge protest in the centre of moscow by Spartak fans who were sending off flares, and chanting nationalist and racist slogans about "Russia for Russians" and "Moscow for Moscovites". The police made several arrests and there was another incident during the CL match in Slovenia. Spartak fans sent off flares and and the match had to be stopped for 20 minutes. Spartak won 2-1.
    Well, you certainly having seen West Ham fans then... you can believe want ever you want. It is some FIFA members who are Suggesting Not Qatar and they what it in June/July, and member who did not vote with Qatar can actually claim come up their suggestion.

As for Russian case, I Will say not good.However, it is not like English Football fans don't have reputation elsewhere in Europe. Now russian fans are trying to develop same reputation. Racism exists in all western countries, just by selectively picking and choosing racist incident does not mean, problems in Western countries goes away.

Have you seen Birmingham football match riots just before FIFA vote in 2012. Latin America had to deal it its fair share of football incidents, violence between fans. German world cup the organiser were scared of racist incidents , they issued warning were not to go ... etc. Unfortunately racism exists everywhere sometimes it doesn't shows the surface sometimes it does.
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 12-13-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Typo

vCash
    There have been more protests in other cities and reports of attacks against people suspected of being from the Caucuses. Both the Russian President and the Orthodox church have called for the apprehension of those who seek to incite racial hatred. The situation seems to be getting worse not better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/14/wo...ef=global-home

vCash
    On a lighter note Carlos Tevez wants to leave Man City badly enough that he has said he will quit football altogether rather than keep playing for his current team.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socce...213-18vgy.html

vCash
    I love Tevez as a player; but his off-pitch histrionics make me Is he perhaps just a tad crazy ?

On another note, did anyone watch the Tottenham-Chelsea game???? Wowy, WoW, WOW WHATAGAME!

Drogba looked a bit "sick" around the eyes, like he perhaps had suffered a relapse of malaria, but that's just my personal opinion. He just didn't look like he felt well...

Great weekend for futball-lots of good games!!!! I've got ManU and Arsenal set to record on the DVR...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I love Tevez as a player; but his off-pitch histrionics make me Is he perhaps just a tad crazy ?
    A tad crazy?...

On another note, did anyone watch the Tottenham-Chelsea game???? Wowy, WoW, WOW WHATAGAME!

Drogba looked a bit "sick" around the eyes, like he perhaps had suffered a relapse of malaria, but that's just my personal opinion. He just didn't look like he felt well...
    I think the PK he botched had more to do with his sick look than anything else.....
    Great weekend for futball-lots of good games!!!! I've got ManU and Arsenal set to record on the DVR...
    Hmmmm...that's not listed on FSC. Maybe it's the EPL game listed at 5PM without any teams listed. I hope so.

NJL

ETA: ESPN2 @255PM EST = MU v Gunners in USA!
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 12-13-2010 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    I'm pretty confident that Qatar will have all their building and commercial development done by 2022. I mean, it's what they do, how they made their money to begin with: investing in real estate, making money while making their investors happy and building outrageous stuff. I definitely don't think a scenario like India being unready weeks up to the Commonwealth Games would ever be in play here. Qatar has the resources AND the will to make these Games happen. I suppose I'm not understanding the hand wringing about how Qatar "bought" these games in one breath and then wondering about whether the facilities will be built in time in the next breath.

In any case, it would SUCK to change the entire season schedule in order to accommodate a winter WC...I wonder if there's no way around it?

Also, I guess I'm not too familiar with the context - what's this about racism and the Russian bid? It's not like fans in Russia are the only unruly hooligans out there, so what does that have to do with anything?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    I think the PK he botched had more to do with his sick look than anything else.....

Yep. That one made me a tad green around the gills too...not like Drogba at all...

Hmmmm...that's not listed on FSC. Maybe it's the EPL game listed at 5PM without any teams listed. I hope so.

NJL

ETA: ESPN2 @255PM EST = MU v Gunners in USA!
    Yes, espn2 shows some EPL games.

I'm bummed because no one in my area showed the Real Madrid vs Zaragosa match this weekend.

Second half.

Sigh. Rooney. Where did his game go????

vCash
    I'm singing in the rain
    Just singing in the rain
    What a glorious feelin'
    I'm happy again
    I'm laughing at clouds
    So dark up above
    The sun's in my heart
    and MY BOYS BEAT ARSENAL!!!!

vCash
    United pretty well handled the Gunners today. And Park actually scored a big goal!

Gunners beating up on the bottom on the table teams most of the year and United shows that they need to step up their game to beat the big boys.

vCash
    Sepp Blatter said that gays football fans should refrain from having sexual relations during the Qatar World Cup since it is illegal in that country. Blatter is such a big oaf. However not sure why Qatar not serving alcohol during football matches is a bad thing...

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footbal...ks-controversy

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Mazembe FTW!!

Suck it Internacional.

vCash
    WAH!!!!

On another note, Russian president has vowed to crack down on ultra-nationalist and football hooligans who attacked dark skinned minorities over the weekend. Hopefully he attempts to fight racism will include open dialogue between the different ethnic groups and not just arrests. Good on him for recognising the problem.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...Moscow-rampage

vCash
    Respected Newsweek journalist Jonathan Alter alleges that Qatar paid about $10m for each FIFA vote they recieved. That is a lot of money! I do not think that most football fans have any problem with Russia as host. After all they did have a valid point when they said Western Europe had hosted 10 WCs while Eastern Europe had hosted non. Most doubters main problem is Qatar and all the lingering questions about them as hosts. With that said, while accusations of corruption involving FIFA is nothing new, I do wish that Mr. Atler wrote more than a few posts on twitter and had backed up his accusations with proof.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/201...ach-fifa-vote/
    http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2010/12/14...ittee-vote-for

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Sepp Blatter said that gays football fans should refrain from having sexual relations during the Qatar World Cup since it is illegal in that country. Blatter is such a big oaf.
    Well, when the question was raised at the press conference most of the journalists started laughing which says it all really.

Respected Newsweek journalist Jonathan Alter alleges that Qatar paid about $10m for each FIFA vote they recieved.

With that said, while accusations of corruption involving FIFA is nothing new, I do wish that Mr. Atler wrote more than a few posts on twitter and had backed up his accusations with proof.
    So it's an unsubstantiated rumour then?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Oleg Bashilov, the leader of the Sports Committee of Moscow City hall, announced the rough prices of tickets for football matches of WC 2018: 35,000-80,000 roubles (around $1,140-$2,600). He said the prices are not high and surely cannot stop people to earn money to buy the WC-2018 tickets, and they have 8 years for that. He also added that people from all over the world want to attend the WC and the competition is 3,000 people per a ticket. He metioned that the inflation of the Russian currency is about 10% per year. The tickets are expected to be on the market from the end of 2011. (from gazetanews.ru)

Yet some people in the world believe that Russia is a cheap third-world country.

I wonder what prices Qatar will announce.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast