Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 1004
  1. #841

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    Lukas Modric traded for $44m to Real.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  2. #842
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Unhappy

    Note to KH14:

    The Galaxy's 4-0.... ....of the Puerto Rico Islanders in the CONCACAF Champion's League (CCL) is a good indicator of the difference between USA's Div I (MLS) & Div II (NASL). PRI is currently in 2nd place in NASL & considered one of the league's best. The Galaxy's reserve team beat the crap out of them.

    Sadly, the gap between the 2 leagues is growing....

    NJL

  3. #843

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    peregrinating
    Posts
    4,941
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14505
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    PRI is currently in 2nd place in NASL & considered one of the league's best. The Galaxy's reserve team beat the crap out of them.
    I do see your point about the gap between the leagues, but this is too funny. Do teams get promoted and demoted in between the two leagues, like in European championships or are they just different leagues, like the NFL and CFL?

  4. #844
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah, the Galaxy did dominate the Islanders, with two goals being scored by the team's two 17 year old strikers. The thing is, two years ago the Islanders beat the Galaxy pretty easily, so there was also a revenge factor going on too.

    Bruce Arena rolled the dice a bit by playing a roster of exclusively reserve players, but it really paid off. Resting Donovan and Becks, and with Keane unavailable due to the worst Red Card ejection I've ever seen, attacking options on paper were limited. But boy, some guys really stepped up. It was a pleasure to watch.

  5. #845
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I do see your point about the gap between the leagues, but this is too funny. Do teams get promoted and demoted in between the two leagues, like in European championships or are they just different leagues, like the NFL and CFL?
    Nah, it's like the NFL/CFL. No way does MLS teams want to potentially damage their franchise value by getting demoted. Also, the NASL teams generally don't have the infrastructure, like stadiums, that would allow them to compete with the MLS teams. It's not like in England where even second and third tier teams have decent stadiums. Most NASL teams arent in that situation.

  6. #846
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Nah, it's like the NFL/CFL. No way does MLS teams want to potentially damage their franchise value by getting demoted. Also, the NASL teams generally don't have the infrastructure, like stadiums, that would allow them to compete with the MLS teams. It's not like in England where even second and third tier teams have decent stadiums. Most NASL teams arent in that situation.
    NFL/CFL? More line MLB & AAA International League. Same Country, same sport, entirely different league. Where you start is where you stay. The only way up is to pay the freight for a top tier franchise and they ain't cheap.

    The entry price to MLS was about $40,000,000 and is now @ $100,000,000. No one is going to pay that to have the honor of being relegated to a lower level and lose all the loot the upper tier shares. Promotion/relegation is a very "foreign" concept to sports in the USA.

    Once you get your top tier franchise it stays there no matter how pathetic it's performance. As examples look at ANY top tier team in any of the major North American sports that are in South Florida, except the Heat. Greed, stupidity and incompetence are rewarded.

    The teams from NASL and USL that have gone to MLS paid the entry fee to get there no matter their on field performance in their lower division. That, and the hope of a secure fan base and owning your own stadium are all that's needed now.

    NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 08-31-2012 at 02:09 AM.

  7. #847
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The other thing is that relegation is a tradition in soccer that goes back 100 years....a non-american tradition. Our sports psyche, both with ownership and with the fans, would not tolerate a relegation system in any sport. But to be honest, only baseball is set up to do it, and with franchises worth upwards of 2.1 BILLION, no way would any owner risk that by instituting relegation.

  8. #848
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    The other thing is that relegation is a tradition in soccer that goes back 100 years....a non-american tradition. Our sports psyche, both with ownership and with the fans, would not tolerate a relegation system in any sport. But to be honest, only baseball is set up to do it, and with franchises worth upwards of 2.1 BILLION, no way would any owner risk that by instituting relegation.
    True. Money is THE issue.

    Soccer, which is still in it's extended infancy here could be set up for rel/pro, but the price to get into MLS now kills it. It simply will not happen.

    NJL

  9. #849
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well I was wrong about Clint Dempsey going to Liverpool, he ended up at Spurs. Which makes them a very dangerous offensive team.

  10. #850

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    Iniesta won UEFA player of the year award beating both Messi and Ronaldo. Good on him!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  11. #851
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Well I was wrong about Clint Dempsey going to Liverpool, he ended up at Spurs. Which makes them a very dangerous offensive team.
    It keeps him in London, therefore it's a better fit for him...

    NJL

  12. #852
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Question

    Good grief! NASL announced today that the 2013 season will be a split season with 2 separate championships. The apertura/clausura arrives in North America.

    www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=3173

    From what I've read on FaceBook this is not being greeted with open arms by the fans of the various teams. We'll see next year how this work out, or if it works at all.

    NJL

  13. #853

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    Why are they doing that?
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  14. #854
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Evidently to align closer to the normal FIFA schedule....which doesn't make a lot of sense. MLS will NEVER align to FIFA, so one wonders why the NASL thinks it's such a big deal.

  15. #855
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Evidently to align closer to the normal FIFA schedule....which doesn't make a lot of sense. MLS will NEVER align to FIFA, so one wonders why the NASL thinks it's such a big deal.
    We have no idea....

    NJL

  16. #856

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    Hehehe
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  17. #857

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    Liverpool's new owners are appealing to fans for patience because of the club's poor start to the season.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  18. #858

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    Bunch of WC qualifiers today with England facing Moldova I believe and Rep of Ireland just finishing of Kazakhstan 2-1.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  19. #859

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17392
    England won 5-0 and Germany beat Fareoe Islans 3-0. Yep, some real nail biters there...
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  20. #860
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Unhappy

    Jamaica 2 v 1 USA. Jamaica's 1st win vs USA. Jamaica 1st in group with 7 points. USA tied with Guatemala for 2nd with 4 points. USA & Jamaica continue with the 2nd leg in the USA on Tuesday. For the USA it is a must win.

    NJL

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •