Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1004
  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    How about that Neil? Good for them. I have very fond memories of going to NASL games in the 70's and seeing the first incarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes. And of course, actually seeing the great Pele play in person.

    The fact that they could resurrect the league even as a D-2 league indicates how the game is gaining more popularity in North America everyday. Too bad the Tampa team didn't ressurect the "Rowdies" nickname.
    The folks in Tampa badly want the Rowdies name. Sadly, there are legal issues involved. The Strikers had a bit of a problem, too, but evidently ironed them out in the last year.

    That name, along with getting Tim Robbie on board as team President, has really ignited a fire down here. We feel that 6,000+ on Saturday's opening match and an average over 4,000 is possible. When you consider that last year there were 37 season tickets sold the 1,000+ that have been sold this year is remarkable. In fact, I was told that this years season ticket sales exceed the season ticket sales for the entire 5 years of the Strikers predecessor, Miami FC. And, of course, the 4,000 + season average is an astounding number,too...

    We dearly hope that this is our route to MLS as outlined to us by some dude from MLS named Garber in a meeting we had with him in January. We'll see.

    NJL (....I have more to say, but a sick baby crying demands my attention......)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 04-06-2011 at 05:29 PM.

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,512
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    The folks in Tampa badly want the Rowdies name. Sadly, there are legal issues involved. The Strikers had a bit of a problem, too, but evidently ironed them out in the last year.

    That name, along with getting Tim Robbie on board as team President, has really ignited a fire down here. We feel that 6,000+ on Saturday's opening match and an average over 4,000 is possible. When you consider that last year there were 37 season tickets sold the 1,000+ that have been sold this year is remarkable. In fact, I was told that this years season ticket sales exceed the season ticket sales for the entire 5 years of the Strikers predecessor, Miami FC. And, of course, the 4,000 + season average is an astounding number,too...

    We dearly hope that this is our route to MLS as outlined to us by some dude from MLS named Garber in a meeting we had with him in January. We'll see.

    NJL (....I have more to say, but a sick baby crying demands my attention......)
    That's really interesting Neil. Too bad about the Rowdies name, that would have been a nice tie in.

    Garber's probably right, seeing that's exactly how Portland and Vancouver got into MLS. If you keep up those figures, you might be able to get into MLS by 2014-15.

    Here' hoping that the team and the league are a huge success. BTW, wouldn't want to take that road trip to Edmonton from Ft. Lauderdale.

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    That's really interesting Neil. Too bad about the Rowdies name, that would have been a nice tie in.

    Garber's probably right, seeing that's exactly how Portland and Vancouver got into MLS. If you keep up those figures, you might be able to get into MLS by 2014-15.

    Here' hoping that the team and the league are a huge success. BTW, wouldn't want to take that road trip to Edmonton from Ft. Lauderdale.
    Road trips are planned for Tampa Bay - Al Lang Field in St Petersburg - and Atlanta. No one else is close enough.

    Garber is using the Pacific NW as his model for us to even be considered. He demands we meet that model. We'll see. He also said that MLS team #20 will be another team in NYC. Period. Maybe the Cosmos? Sounds interesting.

    NJL

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There is something about LeBron James becoming part owner of LIVERPOOL FC!?!?! Poor Liverpool! Chad Ochocinco is trying out with Sporting KC?! Not sure if I am supposed to be happy or scared that all these basketball folks are delving into the world of footie.

    Sounds like the MLS is going gang busters! Great to hear and hope you get your wish Neil.

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    There is something about LeBron James becoming part owner of LIVERPOOL FC!?!?! Poor Liverpool! Chad Ochocinco is trying out with Sporting KC?! Not sure if I am supposed to be happy or scared that all these basketball folks are delving into the world of footie.
    Ochocinco plays American Football, not BB.

    I wish LeBron would invest a few buck up the road in Ft Lauderdale if he wants to invest in soccer. They need his $$$ far more than Liverpool does.

    Sounds like the MLS is going gang busters! Great to hear and hope you get your wish Neil.
    Thanks, Buzz. I appreciate the thought...

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sorry Neil... brain hiccup... I actually did/do know Ochocinco from DWTS and remember he is a AF player. I am a little scattered brained these days. BTW Is anyone else impressed that Schalke defeated Inter 5-2 this week? I luv me a little Inter now and then but cannot help but cheer for the little German club that could.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,512
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Garber is using the Pacific NW as his model for us to even be considered. He demands we meet that model. We'll see. He also said that MLS team #20 will be another team in NYC. Period. Maybe the Cosmos? Sounds interesting.

    NJL
    The Cosmos are pretty certain to be a done deal. Cobi Jones quit working on Bruce Arena's staff with the Galaxy to take a front office job with the Cosmos. He wouldn't do that on a whim. I just wonder where they are going to play.

  8. #168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    The Cosmos are pretty certain to be a done deal. Cobi Jones quit working on Bruce Arena's staff with the Galaxy to take a front office job with the Cosmos. He wouldn't do that on a whim. I just wonder where they are going to play.
    Garber would only say things about another team in NYC. There are several groups after it. The Cosmos group is very much in the running, but the $$$ are not aligned as MLS wants them just yet. Remember the entry fee is now $40,000,000. That ain't chump change. Plus, they want the group to have the financial resources to function for x number of years before they turn a profit & their own Soccer Specific Stadium built or well into the planning stages. This requires deep, deep pockets. We'll see how this NYC thing pans out. I'd love to see the Cosmos return, but it is not guaranteed.

    BTW, it seems that whatever team that has Mr Beckham as part owner will get a discounted entry fee. My understanding is that he is being courted by many groups, including some folks here. It's going to be fun to see how that turns out, too.

    Garber also states that he has several people and/or groups inquiring about MLS ownership somewhere, sometime. Since he's implied that MLS may grow to at least 24 teams eventually (maybe more?) it seems that the cash and interest are available for that growth.

    Since he's also said that MLS MUST grown into the Southeastern USA and Greater Miami is on their radar as a desirable location we do have hope that we'll eventually belong to that select group again. But, supporting local soccer (the Strikers) is essential to that possibility. Do ya want MLS? Support the Div 2 NASL Strikers and we'll see. If ya don't support them, forget about it....

    We'll see how all this plays out over the next few years. Hopefully we'll be successful. But there are already 2 other groups in Florida - Tampa & Orlando - courting MLS. And a group in Atlanta. And NC. It is rumored that at least one more in Canada. It's gonna be interesting to see who has the $$$ up front, SSS built or planned, visible fan base, solid ownership group with $$$ to continue with sustained losses for a decade or more, etc to impress TPTB in MLS to grant them a franchise.

    NJL (...in the meantime The Ft Lauderdale Strikers 3.0 - or is it 4.0? - open their season tomorrow at Lockhart Stadium @ 1930....festivities start at 1600 or so, BYOB...and let the good time roll, like it's 1979 all over again.........)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 04-08-2011 at 02:05 PM.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Red face YUCK!!!!

    Drew an excellent crowd of over 6,400 to Lockhart Stadium. We watched a not very good Striker team lose 2-1. I wonder how many will come out next Friday for their next home game. I have season tix, so I'll be there. But, I wonder how many 1st timers will give it another try?

    More work needed, I'm afraid.


    NJL

  10. #170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hope fans continue to support your team Neil. Meanwhile Man U is in the lead in the EPL! And all sorts of rumours about Chelsea's owner not being happy with the poor showing by the club's $50m man Fernando Torres.

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I hope fans continue to support your team Neil. Meanwhile Man U is in the lead in the EPL! And all sorts of rumours about Chelsea's owner not being happy with the poor showing by the club's $50m man Fernando Torres.
    He's probably less happy with Torres after Chelsea's 2-1 loss to Man U & elimination from the UEFA Champion's League yesterday. Torres looked good, but just could not score. Man U looked very good in the win and advance to a semi-final against, probably, Schalke.

    Barcelona advanced on 6-1 aggregate by defeating Shaktar Donetsk with a 1-0 road win. Their goal (his 48th of the season in all comps) from some young kid named Messi. He seems to play the game pretty good....... You ever hear of him?... ...Barca moves on to a semi against, probably Real Madrid. Yes, I intend to watch that match if it comes to pass...

    Probable final? Barca v Man U. Probable champion? Barca. They simply are the best team on Earth right now.

    NJL (...and Barca's style of play is the most entertaining, too...)

  12. #172

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Aquisgranum
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,188
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    462
    I am rooting for Schalke now (who are, by the way, 9th on the German league table). It's like a fairy tale in blue...

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Great for Schalke unfortunately for me I was rooting for Inter. Well at least my boys move on.

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile Better

    1-1 come from behind draw against Minnesota off of a 90th minute PK in front of 4,442 paid attendance. The Strikers then nearly won it on a diving header from a corner kick in the last few seconds. A fun & entertaining evening that will make their 4 game road trip seem much longer. But, they return with a match against Tampa Bay that could draw near 10K fans. That could be very exciting. We'll see.

    NJL (my son went to the game with me......we've not done that in years...My b'day present to him - he'll be 33 on Sunday -...I loved it & we both had fun & a very good evening together.....perfect.....)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 04-17-2011 at 01:55 PM.

  15. #175

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,865
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978
    The first of this month's four El Classico's was today---Wheeee!

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Saw the Messi v Ronaldo game...errr.... I mean Barcelona v Real Madrid/ hehehe It ended in a 1-1 tie thanks to two well deserved penalties. I also took in much of the Man U v Man C match which City won but the best part of the match took place after the final whistle with Balotelli showing his temper and age quite a bit.

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Saw the Messi v Ronaldo game...errr.... I mean Barcelona v Real Madrid/ hehehe It ended in a 1-1 tie thanks to two well deserved penalties. I also took in much of the Man U v Man C match which City won but the best part of the match took place after the final whistle with Balotelli showing his temper and age quite a bit.
    I wonder what he said/did that had Rio Ferdinand so very, very angry...

  18. #178

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,865
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    I wonder what he said/did that had Rio Ferdinand so very, very angry...
    "The Italian incensed Ferdinand after the final whistle on Saturday by reportedly thrusting the badge on his shirt in the direction of opposition supporters."

    Balotelli also winked at Ferdinand in a cheeky manner, according to the Guardian...

    His wife had a baby daughter earlier that day...perhaps he was a bit stressed...

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ario-balotelli

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So Balotelli didn't necessarily do anything out of the ordinary except be a bit too cheeky? So he was a good boy for a change? I'm happy with that. LOL BTW Manchester City can have the FA Cup trophy. Because my boys look really good to capture the EPL title.

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Nigerian defender Olubayo Adefemi has died from injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Adefemi piled his trade in Greece from the Super league team Xanthi. He was 25 years old and was planning on returning to Nigeria to wed. Condolences to his family. R.I.P.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ca/9461573.stm

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •