Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Mexico is in the gold medal final. GO BRAZIL!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Ouch... Canada is complaining loudly about that last PK call.
    Funny how you don't hear about Tancredi stomping on Lloyd's head from the Canadians now do you? Everyone knows Canada should have been down a player, yet that isn't mentioned as a bad call by the ref.

The PK looked good to me, and the ref had a very clear view of it, so I don't think there is much to complain about there. Now the keeper taking too long with the ball, there is an argument to be made there.

Bottomline to me, both sides had bad calls go against them. The Canadians should be more focused on how they gave up THREE leads in this game as the reason they lost, not the refs.

vCash
    This Canadian agrees with you. They should focus on the bronze medal match.

vCash
    BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tancredi is suspended for the Bronze Medal game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Funny how you don't hear about Tancredi stomping on Lloyd's head from the Canadians now do you? Everyone knows Canada should have been down a player, yet that isn't mentioned as a bad call by the ref.

The PK looked good to me, and the ref had a very clear view of it, so I don't think there is much to complain about there. Now the keeper taking too long with the ball, there is an argument to be made there.

Bottomline to me, both sides had bad calls go against them. The Canadians should be more focused on how they gave up THREE leads in this game as the reason they lost, not the refs.
    I thought she stepped over the 18 yard line while punting the ball away(?). She's not the 1st to do that.

Odd that a Norwegian ref gave us a PK on a handball. One of those - a la T Henry - won a gold medal for Norway against us in 2000, I believe. Maybe a payback...

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 08-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    I thought she stepped over the 18 yard line while punting the ball away(?). She's not the 1st to do that.

Odd that a Norwegian ref gave us a PK on a handball. One of those - a la T Henry - won a gold medal for Norway against us in 200, I believe. Maybe a payback...

NJL
    She did both Neil! :0

You are right about the 2000 Olympics. The Norweigan striker clearly had a hand ball that put her between the two American defenders and allowed her to score on Mullinix. And yes, I'm still mad about that non-call!

vCash
    She did both Neil! :0

You are right about the 2000 Olympics. The Norweigan striker clearly had a hand ball that put her between the two American defenders and allowed her to score on Mullinix. And yes, I'm still mad about that non-call!
    Much like team USA used that to their advantage for several years, team Canada will use this event to their advantage, I'm sure. Robbed by the ref to give an undeserved win to the arrogant ones from the south? EVIL! EVIL! I say....

Every keeper now steps over the 18. It's routine. Like dissent or time wasting, it is rarely, if ever called.

NJL (....I'll be rooting for the red & white Maple Leaf to win the women's bronze...say what you will about the outcome of our match and their reaction or their rough play, they've played well enough in this tournament to deserve a medal.......).

vCash
    BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tancredi is suspended for the Bronze Medal game.
    Ain't gonna happen, KH. One of the Canadian players had a verbal confrontation w/the ref after the game. That's a no-no, too. FIFA has decided that any and all sanctions will be decided upon AFTER the bronze medal game.

Check on BS for particulars.

NJL

vCash
    Ain't gonna happen, KH. One of the Canadian players had a verbal confrontation w/the ref after the game. That's a no-no, too.
    Agreed that it's unlikely anything will happen -even after the game. There was quite a bit of talk about the Spanish men's team being sanctioned (with Muniain singled out as one of the worst offenders) for surrounding the refs after the Honduras game, purposely bumping into them, initiating a fight with the Honduras subs at half time, etc. AFAIK nothing's happened. Yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Agreed that it's unlikely anything will happen -even after the game. There was quite a bit of talk about the Spanish men's team being sanctioned (with Muniain singled out as one of the worst offenders) for surrounding the refs after the Honduras game, purposely bumping into them, initiating a fight with the Honduras subs at half time, etc. AFAIK nothing's happened. Yet.
    Yup. The laws of the game state that "A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following 7 offenses:

#2 - shows dissent by word or action"

Of course, if it was used every time that dissent occurs we'd never finish a match because most of the players would be gone for 2 offenses on this alone. Still, IMO, the officials show far too much leniency in not enforcing this more often.

Also, Law 12 also requires a red card and a sending off for:

"#6 - using offensive, insulting or abusive language"

Most players are usually very correct in observing and obeying this, no matter their disagreement....

NJL

vCash
    Brazil v Mexico for gold.

vCash

Cool

Brazil v Mexico for gold.
    Rooting for Brazil. I simply can't cheer for Mexico....

NJL

vCash
    Rooting for Brazil. I simply can't cheer for Mexico....

NJL
    Exactly Neil, no way I could ever root for el Tri.

vCash
    Ain't gonna happen, KH. One of the Canadian players had a verbal confrontation w/the ref after the game. That's a no-no, too. FIFA has decided that any and all sanctions will be decided upon AFTER the bronze medal game.

Check on BS for particulars.

NJL
    It's gutless of FIFA not to punish her. Funny, I kept think of Albert Haynesworth who got a major suspension from the NFL for doing exactly the same thing.

vCash

Wink

It's gutless of FIFA not to punish her. Funny, I kept think of Albert Haynesworth who got a major suspension from the NFL for doing exactly the same thing.
    For an interesting discussion of the game go to BS/Referee. They were very critical of the officiating from the beginning.

NJL

vCash
    So sad to hear of the bad sportsmanship and that Canada is getting away with it. I have not heard a thing about it from CTV.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    So sad to hear of the bad sportsmanship and that Canada is getting away with it. I have not heard a thing about it from CTV.
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...160147757.html

bad sportsmanship you say..

FYI holding the ball for extended period of time requires a verbal warning and then the goalie can get a yellow card.. not a free kick.. and a hand ball call was also incorrect.. which is why the ref is being investigated.. also suggestions that she was 'unduly influenced' by American player Wambach..

here is the rule

12 states "handles the ball deliberately". So if the ball hits the player's body and then the player plays the ball deliberately, foul = direct free kick/penalty kick.
    Ball hits player's hand/arm play on. A penalty is called if there is movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand) Which is why it was a bad call..

Last edited by 4rkidz; 08-09-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    A Norwegian ref blows a call. The Canadian players get on her case after the game. Yet it's "Ugly Americans". No mention of 3 blown leads or of Rapinoe's two gems. Just "they didn't compliment us". Interesting. Sour grapes. Child, please....

FYI holding the ball for extended period of time requires a verbal warning and then the goalie can get a yellow card.. not a free kick.. and a hand ball call was also incorrect.. which is why the ref is being investigated.. also suggestions that she was 'unduly influenced' by American player Wambach..
    Abby unduly influenced the ref? She tried to point out the time being used? That's the norm. Players, and coaches, are constantly trying to influence the ref. A good ref considers the source & ignores them. They will still try their damndest to convince you of the rightness of their cause.

You've misinterpreted Law 12. There is no requirement for a warning. It's at the ref's discretion to do it or not. Most, if not all, will. It's a simple courtesy, not a requirement. The ref said she did & that her assistant also did before the start of the 2nd half. As I understand it the Canadian's don't agree.

On the 6 second ruling no yellow is issued. Law 12 states: "A player is cautioned and show a yellow card if he commits any of the following 7 offences:
    #4) delaying the restart of play

This was not a restart. The ball was not a dead ball. It was in play. The section of Law 12 that applies is under Indirect Free Kick:

"An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area commits any of the following four offences:
    - controls the ball with his hands for more than six second before releasing it from his possession
    -touches the ball with his hands after he has released it.......
    -touches the ball with his hands after being deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
    -touches the ball with is hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team mate"

There is no yellow card mentioned in this section, thus, none is/was given. FTR, I do not agree with this call. Much leeway is given for this, especially in an Olympic semi-final. Except for this official.

here is the rule

12 states "handles the ball deliberately". So if the ball hits the player's body and then the player plays the ball deliberately, foul = direct free kick/penalty kick.
    Ball hits player's hand/arm play on. A penalty is called if there is movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand) Which is why it was a bad call..

Yes, Law 12 says this. However, what matters is the referees opinion of it all. In her opinion Megan Rapinoe did have the ball hit her body in the US's penalty are, despite the Canadian players trying to "unduly influence" her into calling a hand ball for a PK.

I am less sure of the PK call on Canada. It is known that one play for this type of free kick is to hit it into the wall in the hope that a hand ball will be called. The 1st Canadian player's hand was certainly there, but she was obviously too close to the play to move it away. The 2nd contact is quite problematical. Close to kick? Yes. Too close to move? That's the rub. After watching replays of the free kick several times I doubt if I'd have called a PK even though her arm was extended from her body. I feel she did not have time to readjust.

BUT, I was not on the field officiating. In the opinion of the game official, who did not have the benefit of replays, the arm being away from the body was the deciding fact, I guess, and her opinion, right or wrong, if we agree with her or not, is all that matters. From Law 5: "The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final."

NJL (...Congrats to Canada on the Bronze.....on a goal in added time, at that....... ....)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 08-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.

vCash

Thumbs up

USA 2 v 1 Japan. REDEMPTION!!!!!

NJL

vCash
    Congrats to all the medalists and perhaps now all this unpleasantness can be forgotten.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast