Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Argentina is again looking for a new coach! LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Argentina is again looking for a new coach! LOL
    I know a nice American coach they can have, a guy who took his team to the second round in the WC....

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    I know a nice American coach they can have, a guy who took his team to the second round in the WC....
    They don't want him...

I don't think all of our problems are coach related. How did Mexico do in the last U-17 WC? Who got buried by the Germans in the 1st KO round? It seems that the talent level is showing a huge, huge gap. So huge that no coach can overcome it.

Plus, we've been just good enough for just long enough that no one takes us as a joke anymore. They take great joy in whuppin' us, even if we do seem to be less than we were a few years ago. This may be a tough decade for team USA and it's fans....

NJL

vCash
    I agree NJL, the USMNT problems aren't just because of Bradley, although I think he's part of the issue. But player development is a big issue too. I mean, a country the size of the USA, with all those AYSO and club teams should easily produce more talent than we are. So the question is, why aren't we? I think part of the problem is a lack of a detailed plan from Gulati and US Soccer to develop players. This is Jurgen Klinsman's big complaint about US Soccer, and I think he has a point.

BTW, one wonders if the USA's relative dominance over El Tri in the last decade got the Mexican's attention to development. And it's really paying off for them now.

vCash
    Well, how about this: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...er-team-072811

Gulati finally saw the light. Now, what happens next is CRUCIAL to the long term development of the program. Problem is, I have no confidence in Gulati leading that development.

vCash
    Well Bradley is out and did I fail to mention transfer season is in full swing? Among the names floating around; Didier Drogba, Carlos Tevez, Robin Van Persie, Wesley Sneijder, Sergio Aguero ( I think he is at Man City now) and also Man U is looking for a new keeper. BTW Did anyone else notice that the front of Braca's jersey is not adorned with the name "Qatar Foundation"? UNICEF is now at the back of the team's t-shirt.

vCash
    Well, how about this: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...er-team-072811

Gulati finally saw the light. Now, what happens next is CRUCIAL to the long term development of the program. Problem is, I have no confidence in Gulati leading that development.
    A bit of a surprise, to be honest, even if the USA has dropped way out of the top 20 in FIFA rankings to #30. They have a game against Mexico on the 10th of August plus starting on WC 2014 qualifying next year. According to ESPN the feeling/rumor is that Gulati has someone in mind for the job or he'd not dumped Bob now. BTW, the men's side of USSf has no head coach for the full MNT, the under 23s or the U17s or any of them. Maybe a new direction under a headliner head coach? Guess what German gentleman with US connections name was mentioned? We'll see.

Now I wonder if he's going to dump Pia, too.

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-29-2011 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Dumping Pia would be a huge mistake, IMO.

vCash
    Bryant Gumbel in his latest episode of Real Sports on HBO, spoke about the recent USWNT in the WWC final. Essentially he stated had any men's team performed like the USWNT did in the final, with the colossal choke of allowing two tying goals, and all the misses in the first half, that the team would have been pilloried in the press. Instead everyone complemented Pia and the team, including President Obama. So the question is, why wasn't Pia called on the carpet for this EPIC FAIL? One wonders...

vCash
    Bryant Gumbel in his latest episode of Real Sports on HBO, spoke about the recent USWNT in the WWC final. Essentially he stated had any men's team performed like the USWNT did in the final, with the colossal choke of allowing two tying goals, and all the misses in the first half, that the team would have been pilloried in the press. Instead everyone complemented Pia and the team, including President Obama. So the question is, why wasn't Pia called on the carpet for this EPIC FAIL? One wonders...
    Maybe she has & we've just not heard the end result of all that yet. After all, it took USSF awhile to get rid of BB after it became obvious he'd outlived his useful shelf life. We'll see.

NJL (...plus, who is as good, let alone better, to replace her?......)

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I think Pia's done a good job (and light years better than Greg Ryan), and I don't think she should be replaced. But I do think that the team's performance in the finals needs to be criticized, as it deserved criticism.

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I think Pia's done a good job (and light years better than Greg Ryan), and I don't think she should be replaced. But I do think that the team's performance in the finals needs to be criticized, as it deserved criticism.
    The finals only? How about the run up to the WWC? Or their performance in the group stages of the WWC?

I'd say she's done a good job overall, her record with the USWNT is impressive, until you realize that about half of the teams losses during her tenure came this year. Considering that, the wonder to me is that they won silver. They have not looked good enough for even that since before the CONCACAF qualifiers.

We'll see how the USSF handles it. Dumping Bradley may be all they can tolerate for now. They're supposed to make some sort of announcement about that today. That should be interesting.

NJL (...I wonder what will be said...will we learn who the anointed one is, or will we get a temporary replacement, with another announcement introducing the savior to be made later?....Mexico awaits us to give us yet one more lesson on how to play the beautiful game on August 10th......)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.

vCash
    It's somewhat the finals, somewhat her inability to get her lineup right, and a big part was the embarrassing WC qualifying. She's not perfect, but when it counts she seems to get her players to perform.

As for the Men, I suspect that the name we hear today will be the permanent guy, not a temp. Klinsmann is tanned, rested and ready, he knows America and Americans (not an unimportant thing) and he lives in SoCal about 15 miles from me. But Lippi would be a major splash too. But NO MLS GUYS PLEASE!

vCash
    As for the Men, I suspect that the name we hear today will be the permanent guy, not a temp. Klinsmann is tanned, rested and ready, he knows America and Americans (not an unimportant thing) and he lives in SoCal about 15 miles from me. But Lippi would be a major splash too. But NO MLS GUYS PLEASE!
    You're a regular Dick Tracy. Klinsmann named US Nat'l coach. He's the team's 35th coach.

That photo. Is the older guy behind Jürgen wearing a Snuggly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    You're a regular Dick Tracy. Klinsmann named US Nat'l coach. He's the team's 35th coach.

Not really, BC. Klinsmann got the offer before Bradley in 2007, but didn't get all that he wanted from the USSF and declined. Bradley was offered an interim position, took it, and when no one else came out of the wood work, got the job permanently. Although, IMO, Bradley has done a commendable job, Jurgen has been at the top of the USSF's list ever since. The team has slipped dramatically lately & rumor has it that there is disention & dissatisfaction in the locker room, so Bob's days were numbered. Now they are over & a new era begins.

I've no idea what Klinsmann was offered to accept the position. My understanding is he wanted control of all of the USMNT's & an overhaul of the way we develop players when he was offered the job in 2007. Maybe he got that this time around.

Be that as it may. It's going to be an interesting time watching what happens to the USMNT over the next few years.

Thanks for the heads-up, BC.

NJL (...35th coach?....since when?....the 1st WC in 1934?... that's probably not as bad as some other national teams.... England......& many others, too......)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

Holy mother of all hiring coups! Well the US could not possibly ask for a better coach and I know Jurgen has had an itch to coach in the US for some time now so good luck to both. Now for sure my expectations will be rising for the USNMT.

vCash
    The horse trading that is the transfer season is going on hot and heavy but of course the only rumours that truly interest me are those that involve the misadventures of Carlos Tevez, and who will be replacing Van Der Sar at Man U. Here is a link to a loooong list of rumours.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/onthemove..._was_won_1.php

vCash
    Just a footnote on the effects of the WWC in the USA.

Saturday night at Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale the Ft Lauderdale Strikers of the men's 2nd tier NASL defeated FC Edmonton (dressed in 1970s Drillers road uniforms) 3-0 in front of 2800+ fans. A season low attendance for the Strikers, BTW. We've been averaging @ 3500 this season and had a high over 7,000. The Strikers are a fabled name in this sport & Lockhart Stadium the nearest thing to a cathedral of the sport in SE Florida.

At the same time 15 or so miles to the north in Boca Raton the WPSs magicJack defeated the Boston Breakers 4-0 in front of 3,000+ fans. MajicJack has had attendance figures in the high 100s before the WWC and averaged less than any other pro team in the sport nationally. They are now on their 3rd coach - Abby Wambach...... - and are run like a girls U13 travel team. But, their roster has 6, maybe 7, players from the USWNT on it. The team has become a magnet for fans in the last few weeks.

Maybe the WWC has actually saved WPS. Maybe not. We'll know the answer to that if there is a WPS in operation next season. All indications are that there will be a Div 2 NASL. Perhaps an expanded NASL. We'll see how it all pans out sometime early next year. Personally, I hope we have both of them back, expanded and better than ever. We need them for the sport to grow here.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 08-01-2011 at 02:55 PM.

vCash
    Wait... Is Wambach playing and coaching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    Wait... Is Wambach playing and coaching?
    Yup, mostly because that team is a disaster and they had no other choice.

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast