Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

vCash
    I am so proud of Nadeshiko team !!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Jaysus, you'd think the bronze and silver ball winners could fake a smile for the photographs. Alissa Czisny will be disappointed in them.
    I didn't catch the ceremony, so I'm commenting blind. But I gotta.

So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward. Fair enough?

Sweden, yes, maybe they should manage a smile. It's been days since their ultimate dream died, and since they were kind've pummeled in that SF "and" have won a game since to rescue some glory, they should maybe enjoy that they've had some success at this WC.

But, as long as the American women been cordial and deferential to the WC winners, I wouldn't hold even hold a Surya "this silver medal is burning my neck and must come off" moment against them.

vCash
    FWIW, both Abby and Hope gave very gracious interviews on ESPN after the match.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    and
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    I didn't catch the ceremony, so I'm commenting blind. But I gotta.

So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward. Fair enough?
    Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking.....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward.
    I didn't notice it much anyway, it wasn't bad. Yes, they didn't look overjoyed, but who would? There was lots of sportswomanship all around, from countries that are famous for this kind of spirit (I think that lots of US-athletes and Japanese are among the fairest and most gracious sports(wo)men, gracious in defeat and victory).

vCash
    Congrats to Japan. First Asian team to win the World Cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking.....
    That's ridiculous, as long as they were respectful to the winners, let it be. I could be wrong but I don't recall you being one of the few criticizing Mao for being sad when she won OSM.. And Mao did look sad. Why was it okay for Mao to look sad but not the US women. And I thought the criticisms against Mao were ridiculous BTW. But I don't think its right to say that when your team/player wins the opposite team needs to look happy but when your team/player loses its okay if they look sad.
    The US women congratulated the Japanese team, and its not like they have been screaming "robbed etc." Why do they have to act all fake. Oh yeah we are thrilled we blew it. Or for Mao, yeah I'm thrilled I lost the big one to my rival. I'm just so happy for my rival.. I don't care that I lost out on my life dream. Pleeeasse.

As long as the athletes are respectful to the winners like the US was to the Japan, and Asada was to Kim, let them be disappointed. Its a real emotion, this is their life dream. They aren't actresses.
    Oh and yeah Japan, I thought their goal keeper did a great job in the PKs.
    Last edited by bek; 07-18-2011 at 12:38 AM.

vCash
    Maybe I missed it, but the only American I saw shake the hands of the Japanese was Abbi Wambach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but the only American I saw shake the hands of the Japanese was Abbi Wambach.
    Oh I thought I saw it. If they didn't that's disrespectful obviously. I'm the type who as long as the players congratulate the winner and are respectful, I'm fine with them looking sad/disappointed. And I would imagine the winners, have no problem with the people they just beat looking disappointed either, because they also know what its like to lose big matches/how hard their opponents worked.

And the US players have said in interviews that if they had to lose they are glad it was to Japan.
    Last edited by bek; 07-18-2011 at 01:07 AM.

vCash
    Chill out, guys. None of the Americans were disrespectful at all during any of the post-game activities. I was watching closely.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Didn't say the American players were disrespectful, bek. Just that it would have been nice for the photographers to see anything other than the skary death stares that the two individual players who received awards had on their faces.

Just an observation. I doubt the players in question would give a shit what I have to say though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Why smile when you lose THE big game ????
    I'd rather see them cry than smile, because I understand the feeling. As long as they show sportsmanship

I was rooting for the japanese team, so I'm pretty happy they won
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Especially when they realize that they coulda & shoulda, but didn't. Congrats to Japan for the win, but the USA shot themselves in the foot & did nothing to help their cause at the end. A sweet win for Japan. A brutal, brutal loss for the USA.

I missed Abby's interview, but saw most of Hope's. She seemed near tears, but was gracious throughout. Was very profuse in her praise of the Japanese team & said that she was glad that if the USA had to lose to anyone that it was Japan because of all the country and players have been through. She showed true class.

Now comes Olympic qualifying. The USA is one of 8 CONCACAF teams playing for 2 spots. I honestly wonder if they can overcome this and even qualify. We'll see.

NJL

ETA: Olympic qualifying in Vancouver, BC, Jan 19-29, 2012. Six teams in so far: USA, Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba & Haiti. Two more to come from Central America. Consensus seems to be the 2 qualifiers will be the USA & someone else. We'll see.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-18-2011 at 01:48 PM.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Um (clears throat).....WE ARE NO.1!!!!!

Great game girls!!!!!!

vCash
    Are the only teams qualified to the 2012 Games so far (women's side): England (host country), Sweden and France? Or is there a more complete list somewhere?

ETA: Nevermind, I see Brazil and Colombia are in as well (on the women's side).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...ummer_Olympics

vCash
    Paraguay plays Venezuela to decide who will play Uruguay in the Copa America final today. Venezuela has done extremely well so far and has been a surprised to me. Good luck to them.

vCash
    Uruguay will play Paraguay for the Copa America title and tumbs up to Venezuela for making them work for it! Also congratulations to Japan on winning the women's title and condolences to Neil, Henry and all other US women's fans.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Uruguay will play Paraguay for the Copa America title and tumbs up to Venezuela for making them work for it! Also congratulations to Japan on winning the women's title and condolences to Neil, Henry and all other US women's fans.
    Thanks...

Odd things seem to be happening. The return of most of the USWNT to the WPS seems to have given this stumbling league a huge boost. Last nights match between Western NY Flash and magicJack (formerly the Washington Freedom) drew the largest paid attendance in league history - over 14,000 fans. Of course this game had the return of hometown player Abby Wambach plus 6 other USWNT players from magicJack along with Flash's USWNT player Alex Morgan, Brazil's Marta & Canada's Christine Sinclair. We'll see if this is just a flash-in-the-pan or if the WWC actually has won fans for women's soccer here in North America.

I hope it does, but we'll see what happens now until this 6 team league finishes play in the fall. For one, the match between MJ & the Flash at MJ's home field - FAU's soccer "stadium" on it's main campus in Boca Raton, FL - can hold 3,000 people at most. SRO means you've got to sit on the grass surrounding the pitch. They'll have to add more port-a-potties, too. To call it low cost & low key is to understate....

I just hope that the WWC energizes the league enough to help it survive. Or to help any successor to survive. To remain competitive the US needs a high level league to feed the USWNT. Without one we may never again reach the final 4 in a WWC, let alone add another star above the USSF Crest on their uniform. We'll see.

NJL

vCash
    Uruguay has won it's 15th Copa America title with a nice 3-0 victory over Paraguay. Saw the whole match and Saurez and Forlan were both fantastic. A wonderful match and perhaps a sign of things to come in the wider football world. Peru was 3rd with a 4-1 victory over Venezuela but the fact that Venezuela even got this far a great accomplishment for them and perhaps this country is finally becoming a force to be reckoned with in the football world.

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast