Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Canada was miserable today at the Women's World Cup. Couldn't string together more than a single pass. Sheer and bloody pathetic effort, I'm dismayed at them and it's another first round exit for Canada
    The reason they looked so pathetic is that France was simply 4 goals better than they were. I'll admit that I was surprised by France's 4-0 demolition of Canada, but they were, player for player, position by position a team that was that much better. They are in 1st place in the group and Germany trails them by 3 goals going into the final group game against France. They have to beat France to win the group. They might. They might not. Both will advance, but France looked good enough to beat Germany. I'm shocked I just posted that, but it's true. The French team is a very good team. They look like contenduhs...

Germany was fortunate to defeat Nigeria 1-0, because the Nigerians beat the shit out of the Geman players. I've never seen so many fouls allowed in one game in my life. Germany showed class by not responding in kind. They were lucky to escape with a 1-0 win and their lives. OTOH, the German players were taken out of their game by the close marking by the Nigerians. Something for other teams to think about, but please do it with a lot more skill and finesse.

My sympathy to Canada for not advancing. My best to them in their last game of the tournament against a Nigerian team that is also not advancing.

Group A is over even if there is one more round of games to go. Now on to Group B tomorrow to see what transpires there.

NJL

vCash
    I can't believe how far the French women have come. It's not just Abily anymore. They are VERY dangerous up top, and they will give the Germans fits trying to defend them.

The Nigerian women have always played a brutal game, but this is almost too much. The Germans are lucky that no one got hurt. One wonders if the reason Prinz got pulled early in the 2nd was because they didnt want her to get hurt. If the Nigerians had anyone who could score, they could have got a draw. Germany better raise their game a bit if they hope to go far in this tournament.

vCash

Unhappy OUCH!!!

First the #1 CONCACAF team, Canada, gets a 4-0 whuppin' from France, now CONCACAF's #2, Mexico, gets the same 4-0 ass kicking from Japan. Normally anything bad happening to any team from Mexico delights me, but this one bothers me beyond the fact that several members of the Mexican team are US citizens &, like several Canadians, play for, or have played for, US Universities or come up through the US youth system. More & more it seems like CONCACAF is becoming irrelevant at the international level of the sport. It looks like we're going to have to take a long hard look at that system ASAP if we wish to keep up with the Euros, Brazil & Japan in the future. It seems that the world hasn't just caught up with us, they may have passed us.

We'll see as the tournament progresses, but with Canada out & Mexico needing all kinds of help to have any hope of moving on to the knock out stage CONCACAF ain't doin' all that well.

NJL (...it's at the stage that USA!....USA!....USA! may actually become the only cheer for anyone in CONCACAF, let alone for US fans.......)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexikeguchi View Post
    It's really sad that the US has so little depth that the loss of one starter can have such an impact. My sons have played club and ODP soccer in Oklahoma for a few years, and I have to say that our development system is horrible. There is too much emphasis at a young age on winning rather than improving individual skill, and it's ridiculous how expensive a sport that only requires shoes, a ball, and an open space can be. We have a large Mexican-American population here, and most of those kids just play in small sided indoor leagues because they don't have the money for all the travel and fees. As far as I can tell, no one ever scouts those matches, and we are definitely excluding some big talent by just considering the affluent, suburban Anglo kids who are mainly targeting an athletic scholarship rather than a professional career.
    I couldn't agree more with this point

Who's ready for Copa America to start?! My brother and I will probably head to a bar to watch the opening game tonight.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexikeguchi View Post
    We have a large Mexican-American population here, and most of those kids just play in small sided indoor leagues because they don't have the money for all the travel and fees. As far as I can tell, no one ever scouts those matches, and we are definitely excluding some big talent by just considering the affluent, suburban Anglo kids who are mainly targeting an athletic scholarship rather than a professional career. Hopefully, the new Development Academy approach will bear fruit, but it's going to take some time. Until then, we will have to get used to some butt-kickings like last night.
    This is sooo true...the scouts need to find these kids; some of the school teams in the outlying towns near Huntsville had a large contingent of the Mexican-American kids; their ball handling skills were far superior and they played a more sophisticated game than our team, which had primarily club team and ODP players.

vCash
    England 2 v 1 New Zealand in the most interesting match so far. NZ scored early, their 1st ever lead in a WWC, and fought like mad to hang on. England scored 2 in the 2nd half for a hard fought come from behind win. Group B has Japan advancing & playing England next. NZ is out & plays Mexico next. If England beats Japan by any score they will advance. If England falters & Mexico beats a tough NZ squad that will certainly want to go out on a high note, then Mexico could advance, but, Mexico has to win by a ton of goals (3?, 4?) and I'm not certain they can get that many against NZ.

We'll see.

Next is Group C. It the USA wins over Colombia they will advance. They may need to run up the score against the Colombians to insure they finish 1st in Group. I'm certain the Colombians will do whatever it take to not allow that...

I do expect Sweden to beat NK. We'll see what that score is before we make any judgment on USA v Sweden. I expect both to advance, the question is which team will win the Group. That will probably be decided when they play each other in the last Group game.

NJL (...let the fun continue......)

vCash
    USA 1 v 0 Colombia at the half. Total USA dominance, but unable to score. It could/should be at least 3-0. It isn't. Nothing new.

Sweden 1 v 0 NK. The Koreans gave a good effort. Sweden got the goal they needed to win.

More to follow....

NJL

vCash
    Oh Abby..... US looking better today but they've really got to work on finishing.

vCash
    Group C
    USA 3 v 0 Colombia
    Sweden 1 v 0 NK

The USA could have had 5 goals in this game, but the post or crossbar got in the way of at least 2. As it is they got the win and the score that they wanted to stay 1st in group on goal diff.

USA & Sweden will advance & play for 1st in Group on Wednesday. USA in 1st place now with a +5 to +2 goal advantage.

Colombia & NK are out & will play each other before leaving.

Next up is group D.

NJL

ETA: The USA has 2 wins against 2 of the weaker teams in the tournament. Starting w/Sweden they'll play far better opposition. The Sweden game will give us a far better idea how good they are. A loss pits them against Brazil & a probable trip home. A win gives them a game against Norway, a team that beat the USA 3-1 recently. We'll see what we'll see.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-02-2011 at 07:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    The USA could have had 5 goals in this game, but the post or crossbar got in the way of at least 2.
    At a minimum it should have been 5 goals, more likely 7 IMO. Still, they did take advantage of the weak opposition in the second half. But they are still in search of a complete, sound performance.

The USA does have the talent to go all the way, but for that to happen they need to get better in all aspects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    At a minimum it should have been 5 goals, more likely 7 IMO. Still, they did take advantage of the weak opposition in the second half. But they are still in search of a complete, sound performance.

The USA does have the talent to go all the way, but for that to happen they need to get better in all aspects.
    Maybe...

NJL (...BTW, check out the USA women's forums on Big Soccer. They've got a hot & heavy thread going on the lack of diversity on the USA's team. They use France and England as counter-point examples. And much of it seems to echo your comments on how youth development works in the USA......)

vCash
    Well, they hit two posts, plus Abby had chance after chance. Had Abby been the Abby we've seen in the past, it would have been 7-0. Why she's in this scoring slump is beyond me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Well, they hit two posts, plus Abby had chance after chance. Had Abby been the Abby we've seen in the past, it would have been 7-0. Why she's in this scoring slump is beyond me...
    I have a gut feeling that once she breaks through, she's really going to break out. Maybe she can get one against Sweden and then have it carry over to the knock out rounds. Couldn't help but laugh with some of her missed chances yesterday!

vCash

Thumbs down

Brazil has started it's Copa America title defense with a 0-0 tie against Venezuela. VENEZUELA!!!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    England 2 v 0 Japan ......to win the Group.

Mexico 2 v 2 New Zealand...Mexico score 2 in the 1st half & NZ scores one in the 90th & another in the 94th......to tie for their 1st WWC point ever....

More to follow tomorrow.

NJL

ETA: Heather O'Reilly & Abby Wambach have not practiced with the USA since the last game. Both will probably miss, or at least not start, against Sweden.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-05-2011 at 07:20 PM.

vCash
    Kudos to the Kiwi women for their huge comeback.

While USA really would like to beat Sweden, saving Abby and Heather for the knock-out rounds is probbly prudent. Besides, Rapinoe and Morgan are pretty good subs. And a Morgan/Rodriguez front like will put a lot of pressure on the Swedish back 4 with their pace. That should be an interesting match-up tomorrow.

vCash
    BTW, that Marie-Laure Delie is one heck of a striker that the French have found. Eye of the Tiger in that one...

vCash
    Germany 4 v 2 France.

Germany plays Japan in the Quarters. France plays England.

Nigeria leads Canada 1 - 0.

ETA: And wins it 1-0. Both of the 2 top qualifiers from CONCACAF can head home and prep for the next Olympics. CONCACAF only gets 2 spots in that. The OLY qualifying tournament, in Vancouver in January(?), I think, should be a dog fight.

On to the final 2 opening round games tomorrow....

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-06-2011 at 01:48 PM.

vCash
    Brazil 3 v 0 Equitorial Guinea
    Australia 2 v 1 Norway

Brazil wins the Group and will play the loser of USA v Sweden.
    Australia finishes 2nd and will play the winner of USA v Sweden. This is the 1st time Norway has not advanced out of Group play.

The word is that Abby Wambach will start for the USA despite a bad ankle/foot and a yellow card.

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-06-2011 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Brazil 3 v 0 Equitorial Guinea
    Australia 2 v 1 Norway

Brazil wins the Group and will play the loser of USA v Sweden.
    Australia finishes 2nd and will play the winner of USA v Sweden. This is the 1st time Norway has not advanced out of Group play.

The word is that Abby Wambach will start for the USA despite a bad ankle/foot and a yellow card.

NJL
    Brazil had their hands for for the first half, but then their talent won out.

Congrats to the Aussies, clearly their program is headed in the right direction. Not so for Norway I'm afraid.

I'd be shocked if Abby plays in the second half, unless the team is behind badly.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast