Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

vCash
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    I went to the Chelsea - PSG match at Yankee Stadium Sunday

http://sdrv.ms/MApE93
    Did you sit behind the PSG goal goal in the first half and then Chelsea's for the second? My friend and I were facing the same side, but a few sections over to the left. Very impressed with Eden Hazard, and glad I got to see so much of the action up close. Would have been nice if Chelsea played better in the first half, but it was really fun.

I've already seen a few red Liverpool jerseys around Boston for tomorrow's game, so futbol-love seems to be catching on. At least on the East coast .

vCash
    Went to the Stadium-of-Many-Names (where the Dolphins play) to watch the AC Milan v Chelsea FC Friendly along with 57,000+ other fans Saturday evening. Final was Milan 1-0, but it really didn't matter to me since I went for the fun of seeing 2 of Europe's finest and the current Champions League Champion. Interesting and exciting in it's way, but the NASL Div 2 Strikers winning 5-3 over Atlanta friday night was more fun & much more exciting...

Ticket prices & parking prices were all the market could bear, the 6PM start was hotter 'n hell, and it was still a good time. Joe Robbie made this stadium for both sports teams he owned in the early 1980's; the Miami Dolphins & the Ft Lauderdale Strikers. Consequently a full size soccer pitch fits perfectly. Makes you think the place was designed for such an affair...

Strong rumor circulating during the tailgate that the Miami Dolphin FO will announce Monday that there will be a full series of International Friendlies to be played at the stadium in 2013 (they are claiming that they've made more $$$ with the 3 or 4 they've had there this spring/summer than from the 81 Marlins games played there last summer). With this announcement, or soon after, they are also supposed to formally announce they are seeking an MLS franchise to play in the stadium as soon as MLS decides to increase the league size past 20 teams (as is always the case in just about any rumor of MLS in Miami, David Beckham's name was mentioned as a possible co-owner).

I'm not too sure I like this. They have shown themselves to be one of the most incompetent organization in the NFL over the past few years. I'd hate to have them screw up "football" in all it's permutations like they've done with the once proud Dolphins.

We'll see what comes of all this.

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-30-2012 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    That's wonderful new Neil! And I have been watching a lot more Olympic soccer than I ever have before. LOL I also watched women's basketball.

vCash
    jeez, Neymar is just crazy good. He's likely to be a real superstar after these games are over.

Garber and MLS must be aware of the incompetence of Dolphin ownership, and just adding Beckham wont change that. Plus, unless they could easily show that they will fill the big stadium like Seattle does, they aren't likely to approve a deal to south FLA without a new stadium.

With that said, I believe that Florida can and will support a MLS franchise under the right circumstances. After getting the Cosmos situation done right, I gotta think that FLA is high on Garber's list of expansion possibilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Garber and MLS must be aware of the incompetence of Dolphin ownership, and just adding Beckham wont change that. Plus, unless they could easily show that they will fill the big stadium like Seattle does, they aren't likely to approve a deal to south FLA without a new stadium.

With that said, I believe that Florida can and will support a MLS franchise under the right circumstances. After getting the Cosmos situation done right, I gotta think that FLA is high on Garber's list of expansion possibilities.
    The kicker in all this is Marcelo Claure. He has billions to spend & wanted an MLS team. He had the flirtation with Barcelona a few years ago & they were going to bring MLS to Miami in FIU Stadium in 2009 or 2010. Guaranteed.

Then the economy tanked and Barca got cold feet. End of partnership. End of MLS coming to Miami. So much for guarantees.

He still wants his MLS team here. Rumors of his attempting to do that have been part of the landscape since. Accordingly, the rumors have had him in constant contact with Mr Beckham since the fiasco with Barca. This, plus the fact that there has been, and is, a group of fans constantly Emailing & petitioning Garber about bringing MLS back to Miami, have kept the MLS flame alive here.

The fact that the Dolphins are now in the picture is just adding fuel to the fire. And a lot of smoke. Most of us here that care about the sport are trying to sort out exactly what is going on. Right now it is hard to tell who is a player and who is a pretender.

It is known that Garber and MLS want a team in Miami. At least they say so. They see that huge area in the SE US that is empty of teams. Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, NC and a few other places are on their radar for possible franchises after NYC gets it's 2nd team.

We see our chances as being 5 to 10 years down the road if we can show that we can support a team. The attendance of 50K + at the Stadium of Many Names has attracted Garber's attention - they are MLS sponsored events - by putting mucho dinero into MLS's coffers. What they want now is to see what the interest is in USA domestic soccer. They've flat out told everyone down here that they are monitoring the attendance at Striker home games. It's stuck at around 3,000 to 3,500. Very few are from Miami. It's not good enough for them. There is another strong rumor circulating that the Strikers will be getting a rather well known name as a team sponsor: Bacardi. Maybe that will help bring in a few more folks. Or not. At least it may give them enough cash to market the team & get it known that they exist. Maybe a coat of paint on an aging stadium would help, too.

In truth, right now Orlando leads all Florida cities in the MLS sweepstakes simply on fan support. Their Div 3 teams gets nearly 10K to their games. Plus, their owners are local and determined to get a popular and existing team into MLS.

We'll see what comes of all this with the Dolphins & their 75K stadium. They say they will draw around 18K to MLS games there. That number would fill Lockhart Stadium. You'd have a difficult time finding them in the Stadium of Many Names.

NJL (..I'll keep you posted on the fun and games......)

ETA: The Dolphin announcement will be Wednesday. The MLS bid is a possibility.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-31-2012 at 03:48 AM.

vCash
    Stadium of Many Names?! LOL 50k sounds like great attendance record to e. Hope Miami gs an MLS franchise soon.

In other news things are nt gong well for Brazil's women's team at the Olys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    In other news things are not going well for Brazil's women's team at the Olys.
    Hopefully this won't discourage them. It's good for women's soccer to be played in all these countries...

In other news, Malaga's financial woes continue and Santi Cazorla is leaving to sign with Arsenal.
    http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/...47_889737.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    In other news things are nt gong well for Brazil's women's team at the Olys.
    They got screwed over by a bus breaking down http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...ccer-loss.html

But they still shoudl have done better than they did.

USA Women has a very favorable draw to the finals...NZL tomorrow

vCash
    Brazil plays Honduras today in the quater finals. God luck to them.

vCash
    Mexico/Senegal very entertaining on the men's side.

vCash
    Honduras keeping it close despite going down to 10 men early on. Great matches today so far.

vCash
    Brazil won 3-2. A win is a win but Honduras deserves kudos for putting up such a fantastic fight. Wonderful match!

vCash
    boy, once again England/Great Britain fails in a PK showdown. Sturridge is going to remember that miss the rest of his life. One wonders if they regret not including Beckham now? He'd have easily outplayed Giggs if you ask me.

vCash
    USA v Canada still tied 3-3

vCash
    I can't stand this anymore, the USWNT gives me heartattacks! Truly one of the great matches I've ever seen.

vCash
    ^ Extra time was not for the faint of heart. Canada played v. well, I thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    ^ Extra time was not for the faint of heart. Canada played v. well, I thought.
    Absolutely, their new coach is doing a terrific job. By far the best performance by a Canadian women's team ever.

But blowing three leads in one game was just too much to overcome.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Absolutely, their new coach is doing a terrific job. By far the best performance by a Canadian women's team ever.
    Abby Wambach's comment about Ms Sinclair being the most under-rated player in the world was proven. She is a wonder. Tancredi ain't bad either. Kudos to the lot of 'em. They played the game of their lives in the best Women's international ever played, IMO. It was even better that USA v Brazil in the last WWC. Outstanding example of how good the game can be.

But blowing three leads in one game was just too much to overcome.
    Only team USA, or possibly the Japanese, would or could overcome Christine Sinclair & Company's performance. She is a wonder. Still, team USA's depth finally got them the win. The fresh legs of USA sub Heather O'Reilly provided the cross that Alex Morgan buried in the 123rd minute for the win.

Remarkable game. Incredible finish. Truly a game for the ages.

NJL

vCash
    Ouch... Canada is complaining loudly about that last PK call.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast