Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

vCash
    And 1-0 for the US-girls.

The keeper for the US is gorgeous.

vCash
    Heh. That's exactly what we were saying. She looks like a model.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    And she just kept her team in this game!

WTF?! YELLOW FOR SOLO! HORRRRIBLE CALL.

ETA: The PK/red card call will be a bit controversial as is (but definitely understandable) but then to take the save away? That could very well be the game. US loses a player, their lead, and suffers a big mental blow. Can't wait to hear what Solo has to say after the game...

vCash
    I'm just totally disgusted by the refs!!!

They are trying to hand this game to Brazil.

vCash
    I hate it when the referees have the penalties repeated, I remember this international men's game where it was the other way around; the player actually scored the first time, but the referee had the penalty repeated because of some minor thing too - and the second time the player missed.

They are trying to hand this game to Brazil.
    I doubt that. This is not figure skating and nobody has in interest in keeping the US out of the semifinal. I think it's just a case of a rather chaotic game and a referee that seems to be in over her head a little.

vCash
    Up to this point thought it'd been a pretty well officiated game, if not a tad in favor of the US. The Lloyd handball no-call could have been a 2nd yellow if the official wanted to give it and the US drew a few fouls that could've been uncalled.

ETA: One thing Solo needs to be careful with is coming out of the box when she punts the ball. It'd be reminiscent of WWC '91 when Scury got ejected and Mia Hamm ended up having to finish the game in goal. I wouldn't expect it to get called, but with the PK call and her yellow, I wouldn't risk it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    I doubt that. This is not figure skating and nobody has in interest in keeping the US out of the semifinal. I think it's just a case of a rather chaotic game and a referee that seems to be in over her head a little.
    Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have said that. It was an emotional response.

vCash
    Well the US didn't self destruct... They look like the more fit side and have been playing with a lot of composure, but will that be enough to overcome being a player down? They've done far better today than I expected.

Ahh so the call wasn't on Solo but another player who came into the box too soon. That's a bit of a relief. Not to get ahead of things, but if it goes to PK's then I'd say the US would have the advantage with Solo. I was worried that the call could get into her head if there was a shootout, but it doesn't look like she'll start over thinking her approach.

ETA: SIGH, beautiful goal from Marta.
    Last edited by OlieRow; 07-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    The Brazilians do have some absolutely brilliant technicians, I am amazed by those dancing skills they have. But they seem to be a bit all over the place in other areas, just a little unorganised.

vCash
    Not that I'm complaining, but the US is getting far to many good looks being a player down.

ETA: Thank you ref for giving the Brazilian a card for getting off the stretcher and sprinting back onto the field...
    Last edited by OlieRow; 07-10-2011 at 06:56 PM.

vCash
    ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so fiting that it was just after the commentator said that this was the US Women's worst WWC performance. I'm not going to be able to watch the PK's but I've got the DVR going. Regardless of what happens here, WHAT A GAME. I was ready to write the US off after the loss to Sweden, but they've really stepped up here today.

vCash
    YEAAAH!! That was so well deserved.

I freaking love football... Isn't it an amazing game?
    Last edited by Gil-Galad; 07-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.

vCash
    Awesome game! Way to go US women!

vCash

Thumbs up

Final score officially is USA 2 v 2 Brazil, but, the USA won 5-3 on PKs. Incredible!!!...

They played from the 65th minute on down 1 player because of a red card, gave up an early goal (92nd minute) in ET and waited until the 122nd minute to score the tying goal to force PKs and the eventual victory. ESPN2 has a replay at midnight. Since I missed all of the game until the last 10 minutes of ET I am staying up late for that.

NJL (...since I thought, and have posted. that the USA would lose to Brazil, the taste of crow is sweet, very sweet......Maybe, just maybe, these women can pull this thing off and win it all.....maybe.......next is France on Wednesday....the 2 teams that won on PKs meet.....we'll see......)

vCash
    An AMAZING game overall! So proud of the U.S. women for never giving up, even when they were down one player and one goal. Hope Solo is a brilliant goalkeeper! And how nice for Krieger to get the winning PK in Germany! I so hope the U.S. wins the title so Abby Wambach can finally experience that!

Gil-Galad, I totally agree with you about the ref being in over her head. She made some terrible calls today.

vCash
    Finally caught the shootout. Fabulous win for the US. Abby is so clutch and Hope is just bad ass. What a heroic effort stopping 2 PK's in a game... incredible! Watching Rachel Buehler celebrate in tears afterwards was priceless. I can't imagine what was going through her mind watching back in the locker room. What an EPIC comeback after all the challenges in this game.

I also have to admit I didn't expect the US to win this game and when they went down a player tied 1-1, I figured that'd be too much to overcome. They just hadn't been playing well consistently and Sweden exposed some glaring weaknesses. I honestly didn't think they were a good enough team to win the WWC, but after this? I BELIEVE!! 55 minutes of playing a man down against Brazil and you manage to play them even?! They stayed composed, strung together passes, and fought to the bitter end. So glad they proved me wrong!

vCash
    Just got back from the ER after going into cardiac arrest after that game!!!

Just a stirring, bizarre, incredible game. Marta was brilliant at times, and an incredibly whiny baby at other times. Her diving, her chippy play and most of all the incessant complaining just wrecked her reputation. One wonders how she will be treated in the WPS when the games resume.

After all the stories about Abby slumping, it's just great to see her come through like she did. Truly a heartstopping performance, and much respect and congratulations go to the USWNT. Just an awesome performance against great odds (i'm looking at you Ms. Aussie ref).

vCash
    FALCAO!!!
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    That game was both the reason why I do not "get" soccer "and" a huge reason why I should be into it.

I'd be right there with mostly German crowd in booing Marta. Her gamesmanship, put-upon body language, and whining was unbearable, and her flopping around was world class OTT. Adding fuel to that is that neither of her goals were should have happened.

The PK do-over and ghost penalty yellow card on Hope that allowed Marta to kick the first Brazil goal was obscenely bad. But without it, the ending could not have happened, and this legend of a finish could not have happened. Thank you, Aussie referee, for being so inept!

The scenery chewing acting was OTT, especially at the end as Brazil attempted to milk the clock. Penalties for such bullsh*t should be higher. It generally makes me leave the room. Or maybe there was a huge penalty this game, though unofficially. Did Marta or a teammate perhaps flop one-too-many times, and cause another 30 seconds to be added to extra time ... maybe without that Abby's goal couldn't have happened?

Scintillating ending!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    That game was both the reason why I do not "get" soccer "and" a huge reason why I should be into it.

I'd be right there with mostly German crowd in booing Marta. Her gamesmanship, put-upon body language, and whining was unbearable, and her flopping around was world class OTT. Adding fuel to that is that neither of her goals were should have happened.

The PK do-over and ghost penalty yellow card on Hope that allowed Marta to kick the first Brazil goal was obscenely bad. But without it, the ending could not have happened, and this legend of a finish could not have happened. Thank you, Aussie referee, for being so inept!

The scenery chewing acting was OTT, especially at the end as Brazil attempted to milk the clock. Penalties for such bullsh*t should be higher. It generally makes me leave the room. Or maybe there was a huge penalty this game, though unofficially. Did Marta or a teammate perhaps flop one-too-many times, and cause another 30 seconds to be added to extra time ... maybe without that Abby's goal couldn't have happened?

Scintillating ending!
    Excellent analysis from someone not into the sport.. You touched on all aspects of what made this game so incredibly compelling. You forgot that Maurine was offside on Marta's 2nd goal, that the US should have had another red card on a deliberate hand ball on Carly LLoyd and that Brazil made the unforgivable error/sin of allowing the USA to break out of their end by passing the ball to set up Abby's game winner. You did point out the added time at the end that allowed the goal. At least the ref got that right for all the pure gamesmanship involved with the multitude of Brazilian "injuries".

Overall, this was one of the most fantastic advertisements for the sport imaginable. I only hope the USA has enough in the tank to win the next 2. Emotionally they must be drained.

NJL (..stayed up until 3AM to watch the replay on ESPN2.....it was exciting to watch even when I knew the outcome......)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 07-12-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast