Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I can't believe it - why would someone like Ochoa ruin his career just for drugs? Or was he never really that talented & promising, and all this time we were hoodwinked by his drug use? Grrrrrrr

vCash
    Well....sometimes you hate to be right, but the USA's 2-1 loss to Panama was easily predicted, right NJL???

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Well....sometimes you hate to be right, but the USA's 2-1 loss to Panama was easily predicted, right NJL???
    Sadly, yes. Overall an unacceptable result anyway you look at it. Panama was/is under-rated and the USA is most emphatically over rated. I felt that at least one of the 3 teams in this group was going to bite our butt. I thought it might be Canada because of the revenge factor from 2007. Instead it was Panama, a team that has played us very well in the past. Now the USA plays a team that could give us another shock. Bob B had better have 'em ready for this one or we'll suffer a huge humiliation. And he could/should be job hunting soon after....

vCash
    Canada ties 1-1 against Panama and Panama wins group. Canada held 1-0 lead until 90+ when Panama tied match to get 1 point to clinch group lead. Canada needed USA loss to advance.

USA finishes 2nd with 1-0 win over Guadeloupe. USA scored in 9th minute on a 25 yard bullet by Jozy Altidore. They dominated game until the end, but some desperate defending by Guadeloupe coupled with a few more misses by the USA kept the game close until the end.

Panama & USA advance to quarters. Canada & Guadeloupe eliminated.

USA to play a very much in form group winner Jamaica next.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 06-15-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Moved Jozy closer to goal

vCash
    What a joke today's game was. The worst finishing that I've ever seen, and it wasn't just Dempsey's collosal failures, Donovan, Wondo also chipped in with shots from 6 yards out that went over the bar...

The USA should have won 6-0 against a weak side like Guadeloupe. Yet instead, we got a flurry of blown opportunities, plus some weak passing in the midfiled. Only Jones, Lichaj, and Cherundolo had decent games.

Even with that said, Jozy's goal was a thing of beauty!

vCash

Cool

What a joke today's game was. The worst finishing that I've ever seen, and it wasn't just Dempsey's collosal failures, Donovan, Wondo also chipped in with shots from 6 yards out that went over the bar...

The USA should have won 6-0 against a weak side like Guadeloupe. Yet instead, we got a flurry of blown opportunities, plus some weak passing in the midfiled. Only Jones, Lichaj, and Cherundolo had decent games.

Even with that said, Jozy's goal was a thing of beauty!
    A stunning goal if you consider how out of form he's been and how difficult goals have come for him over the last year.

BTW, don't discount the Guadeloupe keeper's efforts. He stopped several sure goals from Dempsey, Wondo, et al, but you are correct, the score still should have been at least 4-0.

The changes in the back 4 should have been the starting 4 for the 1st 2 games, IMO. They looked much more solid, plus the 2 outside backs were very involved in the attack. It's quite possible we'd be in 1st place w/9 points if they had been our starting back line. I hope they continue as the starting 4, too. Jamaica has a 7-0 scoring composite over 3 games. The USA's is 4-2.... (Mexico's is 14-1 & Mr Javier Hernandez leads the tournament w/5 goals, 1 more than the USA's team total ....no wonder Man U loves him......).

NJL (...This thread is beginning to read like a USA thread on BigSoccer ......)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 06-15-2011 at 03:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    NJL (...This thread is beginning to read like a USA thread on BigSoccer ......)
    This is way less crazy than those guys at Big Soccer!

vCash
    Well it is the off season for most pro leagues so....
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash

Cool

This is way less crazy than those guys at Big Soccer!
    True. The venom & insane hatred are lacking....

Interesting comment on ESPN last light about Bob B being replaced if the USA did not beat Guadeloupe. They claimed that the 1-0 win saved his job. It was also said that this is the same deal for Bradley when they play Jamaica in the quarters. Win or adios. We'll see what happens @ 3PM on Fox Soccer & Telefutura in the US.

NJL (...please stand by for future updates.....)

vCash
    USA 2 v 0 Jamaica.....

USA played it's best game of the Cup by far. The 2 goals scored are the 1st 2 goals against Jamaica in the Gold up. A different line up, w/o Landon Donovan starting, and a different formation (4-2-3-1) seemed to confuse the Jamaicans for most of the match. Also, a rather interesting red card against them in the 2nd half didn't help their cause much either.

Semi-finals are on Wednesday in Houston with the USA v Panama & Mexico v Honduras. Who knows? Maybe we'll see that USA v Mexico final after all. Or not, if the USA plays Panama the same way they did in the 2 teams 1st meeting in the Gold Cup.

NJL (...we'll see.....please stand by for more on Thursday AM.......)

vCash
    Certainly a better all around performance by the USA. We finally saw the promise of Jermaine Jones come to fruition in an excellent performance by him. Michael Bradley has found a partner for the next cycle to be sure.

I also liked the play of Alejandro Bedoya, who was lucky to be in the mix since he wasn't even selected by Bob to make the squad, but when Feilheiber went down, Bedoya got the spot and has taken advantage of it.

Sacha Kljestan was once again a problem in our midfield, why he keeps getting called up to the squad is a mystery to me. He had numerous opportunities to make the final pass to an open striker and missed every time. We have too many decent midfielders on the roster to give him these opportunities. I daresay that Freddy Adu would have been better than Sacha was.

One last thing, I'm glad the USA got to see how good Donovan Ricketts is. We Galaxy fans already knew that he's an excellent Keeper, now Concacaf knows too!

vCash
    Congrats to the USA and I actually did see part of that match. It would have been nice to see Jamaica advance but congratulations to the USA on a well deserved win.

vCash
    Certainly a better all around performance by the USA. We finally saw the promise of Jermaine Jones come to fruition in an excellent performance by him. Michael Bradley has found a partner for the next cycle to be sure.

I also liked the play of Alejandro Bedoya, who was lucky to be in the mix since he wasn't even selected by Bob to make the squad, but when Feilheiber went down, Bedoya got the spot and has taken advantage of it.

Sacha Kljestan was once again a problem in our midfield, why he keeps getting called up to the squad is a mystery to me. He had numerous opportunities to make the final pass to an open striker and missed every time. We have too many decent midfielders on the roster to give him these opportunities. I daresay that Freddy Adu would have been better than Sacha was.

One last thing, I'm glad the USA got to see how good Donovan Ricketts is. We Galaxy fans already knew that he's an excellent Keeper, now Concacaf knows too!
    Adu is not the answer. BB has other options he could have used. I expect much the same line-up for Panama, but w/Donovan starting. Drop Kljestan & keep Bedoya and, IMO, we have have a winning 11 on the field.

NJL (..we'll see... to go to another sport and a different time, "just win, baby!"......)

vCash
    Meanwhile the UEFA U-21 is also going on and Spain will play Belarus while Czech Republic will play Switzerland today. Can't believe Belarus is in the Semi-finals but good luck to them. For such a small country win would mean a lot.

vCash
    Well, the USA got a bit of revenge today, scratching out a 1-0 victory over Panama. And good ol' Freddy Adu made a great pass to Donovan who fed a streaking Dempsey for the score.

Freddy still has moments of brilliance with the ball at his feet, but he also still makes the occaisional bonehead play. Which makes it all the more frustrating to watch him. You just know that there could be an exceptional player in there if he could only get his head on straight.

vCash
    Woop! It looks like it's going to be Mexico vs USA!

vCash
    Well, the USA got a bit of revenge today, scratching out a 1-0 victory over Panama. And good ol' Freddy Adu made a great pass to Donovan who fed a streaking Dempsey for the score.

Freddy still has moments of brilliance with the ball at his feet, but he also still makes the occaisional bonehead play. Which makes it all the more frustrating to watch him. You just know that there could be an exceptional player in there if he could only get his head on straight.
    Pleased with the outcome and mildly surprised considering the way the USA started this competition. However, if you remember how they started the 2009 Confederations Cup & how they survived to make the final in South Africa perhaps they are just being true to form.

I am shocked that Adu got onto the pitch. He's done nothing since he left MLS. I am pleased that he made the most of it & did something positive with his opportunity. Good for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Woop! It looks like it's going to be Mexico vs USA!
    I am not shocked that the USA made the final, but I am a bit surprised. See above. I'd have been surprised, and shocked, if Mexico had not made it to the final. Considering their form throughout and the USA's form now it should be a pretty good final. I doubt that Mexico will win 5-0 like they did in 2009....:puke:

ETA: That said, I see Mexico winning the Cup by 2-1 or 2-0. They are at least that much better than the USA right now....

Now I have a decision to make. Gold Cup final at 9PM Saturday is very close to the time the Strikers, starting at 730PM at Lockhart Stadium, should be finishing their match. Should I choose the Cup over the Strikers? Or vice versa? Considering the start times, and the fact that I've missed their last 2 home games, I'll see the Strikers to completion, then rush home to catch the 2nd half of the final. Best I can do under the circumstances...

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 06-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    BTW Jack Warner has resign his position with FIFA but according to reports he stands to collect a handsome pension of around $230,000 per year. Warner will be laughing all the way to the bank.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...124397838.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Now I have a decision to make. Gold Cup final at 9PM Saturday is very close to the time the Strikers, starting at 730PM at Lockhart Stadium, should be finishing their match. Should I choose the Cup over the Strikers? Or vice versa? Considering the start times, and the fact that I've missed their last 2 home games, I'll see the Strikers to completion, then rush home to catch the 2nd half of the final. Best I can do under the circumstances... NJL
    Or walk with your iPad etc and watch the final online while watching your home team's game. LOL

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast