Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I would not be surprised if the US never bids again and I would not blame them! I am gonna need a drink... (of tea, don't drink alcohol. LOL) I am sooo disappointed!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    It'll be a looooong time before the US bids again. I suspect it will also be a looooong time again before England bids as well. I also expect that this will be the last time we see Presidents, former Presidents or Prime Ministers participate in bid presentations since the Obamas bombed out with the Chicago Olympic bid and now Clinton & Cameron bombed big time with their respective World Cup bids.

It's a shame, really, that the two best bids lost out. Only proves that, no matter what the IOC says about rooting out corruption, it's still alive and well in sports.
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

vCash
    Acceptable time differences

vCash
    I wonder if Israel qualifies for the 2022 World Cup is Qatar will let their team and fans in and keep them safe...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    Acceptable time differences
    That's about it, though I really have little negative to say about Russia.

NJL (...and, the time differences aren't all that great here......)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 12-02-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: clarification

vCash
    Qatar? Seriously? Australia would have been a better choice. It's hard to go to Qatar, I don't even know if drinking in public is legal and not to mention the weather is bad!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    Qatar? Seriously? Australia would have been a better choice. It's hard to go to Qatar, I don't even know if drinking in public is legal and not to mention the weather is bad!
    I guess it will be played entirely indoors because of the intense heat in Qatar? I wonder if a special law will be created to allow foreigners to drink in public? After all, the World Cup is a huge party and who the hell wants to party without alcohol? Nuns?

vCash
    Ooh! Qatar! Should be lovely at that time of year! And lots of fun! I hope there are lots of scantily clad Israeli women fans there, drinking beer in the streets!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    It's hard to go to Qatar
    Errr
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    OMFG! Russia!!! I am so happy for my country. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

vCash
    Still cannot get over Qatar winning the WC. The US did finish 2nd which means it was not really snubbed so much as Qatar did a much better job of lobying/vote trading/bribing officials etc. Most of Qatar's quoted population of 1.7m, that is over 90%, is guess workers who send money home so I am not sure if they will be able to afford tickets. Public drinking is not allowed but Qatar says it will have special areas where foreigners will be allowed to drink. IN addition Qatar has only one airport and no trains only buses. The WC in that country will be a logistical nightmare. Hope I am wrong about all that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9250612.stm
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-02-2010 at 09:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    After all, the World Cup is a huge party and who the hell wants to party without alcohol? Nuns?
    Have you seen that Formula One Finale where in Abu Dhabi where they wanted to celebrate with wasting all that lovely champagne by showering each other with it - and then it didn't work, because there was only rose water in it? I totally loved that moment! Hah, wouldn't it be great to celebrate a sober World Cup? All the livers that will be saved, all the brian cells!

I am so happy for Russia. They are going to do a great job. It's fantastic that they are planning a stadium in Kaliningrad - that just might minimise my traveling costs if I decide to watch a game or two. It would have been really stylish to have a few games in Vladivostok though, that way both the Asian football fans and the European football fans would get a chance to attend some games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    It would have been really stylish to have a few games in Vladivostok though,
    Now that would be something! Although it would have been neat if that city's team made it to the CL so I could send Chelsea to Siberia. hehehe It is the only way Man U could retain the EPL title this year.

vCash
    Happy for Russia, but hard to believe that Qatar would be very tolerant for even world-class athletes health-wise and how can climate controlled outdoor stadiums be very environmentally friendly?
    Last edited by zhenya271; 12-03-2010 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    What a disappointment for the US bid. Between this defeat, New York 2012, and Chicago 2016, when will we ever host another major international event? I guess it will be at least 2022 Olympics or 2026 World Cup.

vCash
    Qatar's proposed stadiums do look rather , I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI

Maybe it will be the one way to lure Osama bin Laden out of hiding. He'll do anything to attend opening ceremonies .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    Qatar's proposed stadiums do look rather , I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI

Maybe it will be the one way to lure Osama bin Laden out of hiding. He'll do anything to attend opening ceremonies .
    Sorry what is the connection between laden and Qatar, I thought he was Saudi Arabia.

And i agree with the assessment on stadiums, On the competition front they did host 2006 Asian games but that was is december i believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Sorry what is the connection between laden and Qatar, I thought he was Saudi Arabia.
    There's no connection between bin Laden and Qatar; deltaskater probably was trying to make a joke.

Currently, foreigners are allowed to drink alcohol in hotels and resorts in Qatar. My friend who grew up there said that even Qataris and other Muslims can in fact buy and do drink alcohol in Qatar, but they cannot be in Qatari clothing (white robes for men; black abayas and other forms of hijab for women) while doing so. All a foreigner would have to do is show his/her passport and they can buy/drink alcohol. The organizers have already said that during the WC there will be designated drinking places (oases you might call them ) for those who want to

While the weather is ridiculously hot there, they have outdoor air conditioners, which apparently work (never seen 'em).

As for the Israeli team, Qatari officials have already said that if Israel qualifies, the team and their fans would be welcome.

Really you guys. FIFA would not have awarded the games to Qatar if they thought Israeli players' lives would be endangered, and the heat could damage the athletes and if the audience would not have a good time. And I'm betting Qatar worked so hard on their bid to try to change peoples' perceptions of Arabs and Muslims. And while I think Qatar's money could be better spent elsewhere* (billions of dollars on building stadiums? Lordamercy), it's probably not a bad idea for the world to get a glimpse of an Arab society...and hopefully folks will realize that Arabs are pretty normal and decent and like to have a good time - just like every one else.

vCash
    I am not happy at all the World Cup will be held in my city. They plan to build a stadium on an island. It is just across the Volga river in the downtown. The ecological situation will get 100 times worse. They'll ruin the island, the river will become even more durty..
    Well, maybe in Western countries they do build big stadiums, or trade centers without touching nature, but here I'm afraid - the main idea will be to build and to show all sort of luxury (ala Beijing Olympics) no matter what.
    The unique Sochi nature is in danger + they will build the F1 track there; so the same will be with Samara.
    I prefer to have a park or a river near my city, not a stadium. IMO this will make the nation much healthier than any of the bombastic projects.
    It's obvious that such events as Olys and FIFA Cups are more like a business not sport events.
    Why they hell they don't ask us - people who live in Sochi, Samara, Kaliningrad - do we need all this? Looks like we should be super-grateful, but I personally am not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pumba View Post
    I am not happy at all the World Cup will be held in my city. They plan to build a stadium on an island. It is just across the Volga river in the downtown. The ecological situation will get 100 times worse. They'll ruin the island, the river will become even more durty..
    Well, maybe in Western countries they do build big stadiums, or trade centers without touching nature, but here I'm afraid - the main idea will be to build and to show all sort of luxury (ala Beijing Olympics) no matter what.
    The unique Sochi nature is in danger + they will build the F1 track there; so the same will be with Samara.
    I prefer to have a park or a river near my city, not a stadium. IMO this will make the nation much healthier than any of the bombastic projects.
    It's obvious that such events as Olys and FIFA Cups are more like a business not sport events.
    Why they hell they don't ask us - people who live in Sochi, Samara, Kaliningrad - do we need all this? Looks like we should be super-grateful, but I personally am not.
    OMG! A Russian 'republican'!...

NJL

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast