Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cheering for V/M, D/W, Shibus, I/K, P/I, Miki, Yu Na, Akiko, Mirai, Lambiel, Patrick, Oda, Kozuka, S/Z, S/S and P/T!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I don't care if it's real or fake perk, it's annoying.
    I like perk when it's not overdone or so obviously faked/trashy it's downright laughable. It's not exactly someone's fault if they're naturally perky in life is it? It's just in their nature, period.

I like them; they actually look like they're genuinely having fun! Kinda like Akiko Suzuki in that respect; she skates with heart. They could use more polish and better packaging for sure, but I think they've improved quite a bit since SC last year. They have a good chance of winning Nats if they can stay consistent and injury free.

For all the talk about lines, posture and polish, it might be worth noting that all of the above are not graded in PCS at all IIRC, at least not explicitly stated. Why the ISU doesn't include it is a mystery to me but there you go.

vCash
    When I see them skate, it makes me think of the The Weidermann Twins from The Cutting Edge...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    That is too funny...tha's all I can say!

vCash
    Personally, I don't see anything from M-T/M that makes them stand out from Duhamel/Radford, Brodeur/Matatall, etc....but for whatever reason, the judges are "lifting" them to top spot. I wonder how the judging might have been different with the Canadian teams vis a vis each other had Dube/Davison been able to compete this season..

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything from M-T/M that makes them stand out from Duhamel/Radford, Brodeur/Matatall, etc....but for whatever reason, the judges are "lifting" them to top spot. I wonder how the judging might have been different with the Canadian teams vis a vis each other had Dube/Davison been able to compete this season..
    This season, it's because they are landing stuff and the others aren't (except L/S). If Duhamel and Radford start landing the jumps they are capable of doing, they would probably pull ahead on M-T/M- they have much more polish.

But the teknik has to be there.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    My first time seeing this team this year was live this past weekend, and I am a fan. She has an absolutely gorgeous smile, and they are so obviously enjoying everything they are doing (well) out on the ice. It was a pleasure to watch them skate all weekend. I think they can win Canadian Nationals.

As genevieve said in another thread...suck it, haterz!!!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I enjoy their elements, though their programs leave something to be desired. They can do the tricks, and their lifts are impressive, but they need some different choreography IMO.

Also IMO, if Meagan/Eric can get their confidence or whatever going before nationals, they could be tough competition. It actually surprised me at SC to see her miss the jumps because she was always so solid with Craig. They do have much more polish, and oddly, unison, than MT/M (though I wish Eric would cut his hair). It will be an interesting Canadians in all events! (Except likely mens, where Patrick will win, Kevin 2nd and someone else, maybe Jeremy Ten, 3rd).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Brodeur & Matatall are just a journeyteam and that is all that they will ever be. M-T/M are far better than them. Duhamel & Radford arent skating well enough technically yet to make a big move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    What's even funnier is the implication that they can win Canadian Nationals only because Dube/Davison will not be there. Um, when is the last time Jessica/Bryce skated well without many major mistakes? I'm thinking that was 2008 Worlds. They are far from being steady competitors and are not the invincible Canadian team some are making them out to be. If M-T/M stay on the path they're on and continue to improve and build up their consistency, they can very well establish themselves as the #1 Canadian pairs team internationally. Not saying that will happen, but it looks like it can. Jessica/Bryce have not been getting the job done technically for a while now and when you combine that with the fact that they are always constantly injury-prone, I really question how much longer the international judges are going to accept that.
    I agree with that. I see Dube & Davison being usurped as the top Canadian pair even if they do return. They already peaked back in 2008.

vCash
    I for one was a lot more impressed with Lawrence/Swiegers at Skate Canada. They have better basics and memorable programs. That said, MT/M are skating very well right now and and seem to be building momentum. Dylan's obviously the stronger partner -and no, I don't mean muscle power, but skating skills-wise. Kristin's improved her posture since last year, so there is hope for her. I just couldn't stop think "Gina Gogean with PERK" when they skated their Zorba SP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3d3QDp-EaY
    Last edited by ioana; 11-15-2010 at 07:49 PM.

vCash
    I normally don't like the perky skaters who put on their perk face for the program but she is so genuine and seems to truly enjoy what she is doing that it is a joy to watch.
    They have a lot of areas to improve on but they are fun and exciting and fast and have a genuine love to skate and entertain. For that they get my applause!

vCash
    I have to chuckle at the people who think the team is boring, has no style, etc. Maybe Dylan needs to do some more choreography for the team. I'm not sure who else remembers this, but I recall sitting at Challenge a few years ago through loads of Senior Men's programs that all blended into each other after awhile. Along came Dylan and his sister right before a flood. She stood at the boards pretending to be a diva coach, complete with fur coat, sun glasses, and tons of attitude. Dylan proceeded to bring down the house with a really funny parody on Robin Hood. Even the judges were laughing. Here's a version I found on YouTube. It developed from the debut with more detail and more funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K40HzP3glA

KMT and Dylan are the real deal. The passion and joy for skating is real. She's still young, and that perkiness is all genuine. But I have a ton of respect and admiration for Dylan. He has shown great commitment to his sport even while he was too old to skate Junior, and she was too young to skate Senior, been incredibly responsible in taking care of his sister when she was skating, mentors other skaters, and is generally a ton of fun. I think he is also coaching now. It's so good to see KMT and Dylan achieving success.

vCash
    Dylan's also a member of the Icemen, an all-male comedic synchro team which raises money for breast cancer research. Their performances are very funny, and they always seem to be having a blast.

http://www.theicemen.com/Home.html

vCash
    KMT and Dylan are the real deal. The passion and joy for skating is real. She's still young, and that perkiness is all genuine. But I have a ton of respect and admiration for Dylan. He has shown great commitment to his sport even while he was too old to skate Junior, and she was too young to skate Senior, been incredibly responsible in taking care of his sister when she was skating, mentors other skaters, and is generally a ton of fun. I think he is also coaching now. It's so good to see KMT and Dylan achieving success.
    couldn't have said it better.... the off ice relation between KMT and Dylan is just great and I love how they get along and care for each other

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mishieru07 View Post
    For all the talk about lines, posture and polish, it might be worth noting that all of the above are not graded in PCS at all IIRC, at least not explicitly stated. Why the ISU doesn't include it is a mystery to me but there you go.
    A quick aside, but those qualities are included under the execution portion of performance/execution. Beyond just execution (quality of movement and precision in delivery) it is addressed under the criteria of 'clarity of movement' and 'carriage'.

vCash
    I don't think this team is excessively perky in the long program. I was genuinely shocked at how much I loved it at Skate Canada. Their short leaves a lot to be desired, but commentators keep talking about how it reflects Kristen's personality a great deal. Maybe it's just a (somewhat annoying) step, and we'll see more growth artistically next year. I really didn't think much of them last season, and they've improved so, so much already. Love their packaging this year, too. Mostly Dylan getting rid of the awful surfer/guido/wtf hair.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    Note: it's gonna be the same scenario which Canada used with S/P. I won't be surprised if MT/M will win Worlds in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I think they are an interesting team.. the perk isn't fake - she is actually like that in real life so unlike some of the teams out their faking the perk her's is sincere and when you see them live it really is quite different to the T.V. so I can understand the Judge love.. because their joy of skating is infectious..
    So is herpes.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I enjoy their elements, though their programs leave something to be desired. They can do the tricks, and their lifts are impressive, but they need some different choreography IMO.

Also IMO, if Meagan/Eric can get their confidence or whatever going before nationals, they could be tough competition. It actually surprised me at SC to see her miss the jumps because she was always so solid with Craig. They do have much more polish, and oddly, unison, than MT/M (though I wish Eric would cut his hair). It will be an interesting Canadians in all events! (Except likely mens, where Patrick will win, Kevin 2nd and someone else, maybe Jeremy Ten, 3rd).
    have to correct you there.. Shawn Sawyer will be beating Jeremy Ten at Nationals if I have anything to say about it He wasn't wonderful on the GP but he got better results than Ten did..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

So is herpes.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

vCash
    First and foremost, they landed their elements, and you don't need a whole lot more than that to medal at the GP (or at Nationals.) And unlike some pairs, those elements seem nice and secure. If they keep that up, they'll probably do very, very well for the rest of the season. They also skated with more power than Sui/Han, who had big tricks but who otherwise did not skate with great power or speed.

But I can't even remember M-T/Ms programs from last weekend despite seeing them in both practices and the actual competition -- nothing particularly wrong with them, but nothing particularly memorable either. She's perky, but it seemed more genuine than Sui's continuous "O" expression, which was downright annoying. He's got a very pleasant demeanor.

They've got great basics, and as long as they can keep up some consistency I'm sure they'll do well. Maybe next year they'll get some programs that really set them apart.

I was lucky enough to be at Skate America when Sale/Pelletier showed up for the first time, and that was amazing -- you knew you were seeing something very, very special, and rather completely unexpected. M-T/M are not at this level.
    Last edited by barbk; 11-18-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: can't type

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast