Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    When I see them skate, it makes me think of the The Weidermann Twins from The Cutting Edge...
    You hit the nail on the head with the comparison. . Never more so than in the short program with that choreography! I love perk as much as the next person, but the cutesy/perky choreography is cringe inducing IMO.

Having said that, they have a lot of potential and some of their lifts are . IMO They just need better vehicles to show off their strengths.

vCash
    I don't like the SP choreography either, but they have improved their skills this year, and her positions are getting better. If they keep working hard, they will become more polished.

Did the same person choreograph both the SP and LP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    ...Did the same person choreograph both the SP and LP?
    Yes. Mark Pillay did both programs, this year and last I believe. He did all the KWSC teams. It's odd to see so many bashing it here. While at Indy, many people were wanting to know who the choreographer was because they liked his work so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Yes. Mark Pillay did both programs, this year and last I believe. He did all the KWSC teams. It's odd to see so many bashing it here. While at Indy, many people were wanting to know who the choreographer was because they liked his work so much.
    Or they want to make sure they don't use him in the future.

vCash
    I think the choreography is terrific, very exciting pairs choreography. Tracey Wilson I think likes it as well. I think their skating skills are extremely underrated here. Fast spins both sbs and pairs spins, fast feet, great lifts. Her positions are fine. Their unison can improve, the refinement can improve, but they are already light years ahead of other Canadian teams IMO, including D&D who have a smoothness to them, but whose basics have even gotten sloppy over time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shallwedance View Post
    I think the choreography is terrific, very exciting pairs choreography. Tracey Wilson I think likes it as well.
    Of course Tracey is going to like the top-scoring Canadian team's choreography. I mean, it's definitely better than what they were doing last year, but I don't think people are going to be lining up to use the same choreographer. There's still something missing. I'd probably enjoy it more if they weren't as rough around the edges and didn't do things like utilize the star position for every lift. But at least there has been effort to improve some of their issues. They are only a second-year team after all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Or they want to make sure they don't use him in the future.
    Given that many who asked were just spectators admiring the work, I'd think not.

Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    ...and didn't do things like utilize the star position for every lift.
    I think you can blame COP for the repeated star position. It's an easy way to get an extra bullet I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Of course Tracey is going to like the top-scoring Canadian team's choreography.
    The poster said she liked their choreography - not that they were the highest placing Canadian team.

Also - just because she is Canadian does not mean she gushes over all that is Canadian either. She regularly mentions specific areas where Canadian skaters can improve. I've always liked that about her.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 11-22-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    The poster said she liked their choreography - not that they were the highest placing Canadian team.

Also - just because she is Canadian does not mean she gushes over all that is Canadian either. She regularly mentions specific areas where Canadian skaters can improve. I've always liked that about here.
    Even if that's true, I just think it's more likely that a Canadian commentator will have only good things to say about the Canadian team that's skating the best. It's much harder for any commentator to whip out any criticisms on TV when the home team is placing well.

vCash
    Well, wherever the commentar would be from that would say M-T/M have great choreography, that makes me question their taste level. If the choreography isn't there, don't say it's great :eville:

I do, however, think that Tracey Wilson is fairly balanced when it comes to commentating on Canadian skaters. I just think she is sometimes wearing rosed colored glasses.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    FWIW, Mark Pillay choreographed many programs for Emanuel Sandhu.

vCash
    I think their choreographer does a fantastic job at working within their limitations. Honestly, their lines and posture are pretty terrible, but their programs do the best to cover that up and keep the interest of the audience. It's not the choreographer's job to teach skaters deep edging, elegance, and posture; they just don't spend enough time with the skaters. Not everyone has the same opportunity as Yu Na, who worked with David Wilson everyday. I think Mark Pilay did a good job at using their perk and giving them programs that suit their strengths. The judges obviously like their programs.

I'm not a fan of M-T/M at all, because I hate how unrefined and messy they look, but I can hardly blame their choreographer for the fact that Kristen can't point her toes. At the very least, their choreography is better than the boring, empty programs of Dube & Davison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Well, wherever the commentar would be from that would say M-T/M have great choreography, that makes me question their taste level. If the choreography isn't there, don't say it's great :eville:
    I think that saying the choreography "isn't there" is a bit of an exaggeration. It may not be the most sophisticated or orginal but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It isn't just crossover crossover element, crossover, crossover element without any details.

In addition - being that they are a fairly new team and she is fairly new to pairs- I would say that the choreography is well suited to where they are in their development.

Of course I can see why you disagree with it being "great" and it is your right to disagree with Tracy Wilson's taste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I think that saying the choreography "isn't there" is a bit of an exaggeration. It may not be the most sophisticated or orginal but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It isn't just crossover crossover element, crossover, crossover element without any details.
    I would say it is crossover, crossover, some sort of entry variation, element without much to speak of in terms of other choreography or musical interpretation. Maybe saying it "isn't there" is a little harsh, but there isn't much of it there.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Even if that's true, I just think it's more likely that a Canadian commentator will have only good things to say about the Canadian team that's skating the best. It's much harder for any commentator to whip out any criticisms on TV when the home team is placing well.
    You may think it's more likely, but in actual fact what The Accordian said is correct. If she doesn't like something, she either says something constructively critical or she says nothing at all, no matter how the team is placing. It's actually quite interesting to 'read between the lines' on what she says, or doesn't say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    FWIW, Mark Pillay choreographed many programs for Emanuel Sandhu.
    Yes, I remember him doing his LP for the 2005/2006 season, and I really liked that one. It really was abstract art.
    I also remember Mark working with Mira and getting her to really respond to music. I think he is a great choreographer and would love to see more of his work.

vCash
    I really like the improvements they have made this year. and I saw Kirsten interacting with fans and the people around and she seems like a genuinely lovely girl (and Dylan seems equally as lovely). I personally like the energy of the SP as I just enjoy seeing skaters who love to skate. Good luck to them at the GPF!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    New article

Moore-Towers and Moscovitch jump into spotlight
    http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/120510.shtml

"We used to play around together when we both had other partners," Moscovitch said with his usual sense of humor. "We would switch partners sometimes during a session to try out different elements, and we had always done good stuff together just for fun. So when we tried out everything already worked very well."

vCash
    Thanks for posting alilou. I really like what this team is doing thus far. The improvements from last year are noticeable this year. I wish them well at the GPF.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Thanks for that, Alilou. It was great to read about Kirsten and Dylan.

I am a big fan. It is thrilling to see them do so well this year. As Dylan said, he has worked all his life for this, and suddenly it is here. That's exactly how it feels to me. All of a sudden, he's on the international stage.

I will be there in Victoria, screaming my lungs out to help them win the championship.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234