Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 114
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    369
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    US ladies we wuz robbed
    Joanne Mcleod

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    trapped in a red state
    Posts
    1,377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    After checking out the C&P thread I'd add Tanith Belbin to the venom magnet list. I'm not sure whether to or . By this time next week I'm sure that someone will somehow find a way to pin global warming on her as well.
    Well, that ought to be easy to do since she is pretty hot. Yes, I have a slight girl crush on Tanith.

    It's seems to me there's quite a bit of venom when one of the "dead horse" Olympic match-ups are brought up (S&P v. B&S, Tara v. Michelle, Nancy v. Oksana, etc.). Those can get pretty nasty.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,750
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    wedding threads
    Seconded. These always devolve into people being hated on for 1) getting married, 2) being married, 3) daring to feed anyone at the wedding reception, 4) accepting any sort of wedding gift ever from anyone (greedy bastards!) 5) inviting anyone to the wedding.

    Followed by straight male singles skaters (How dare they!), $peedy, and Scott Hamilton.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,241
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    For me, it's when posters come down on a skater for having gained weight. There are enough weight issues inherent in skating, that skaters certainly don't need to hear from fans that they look fat.

    And my second, but not less than, is the issue of corruption in the sport. It exists, it's no better with the new judging system. And it's time that figure skating and the ISU worked this out. Separate speed skating from figure skating and find a way to sanction judges so that judging becomes more fair. Pay them, fine them, whatever, but something should be done.

    I have other skating related issues, but they are not necessarily related to venomous topics on this board. So, I'll keep them to myself.

    Carmen, I used to have a little issue with Tanith. I felt that she always had amazing presentation, and is clearly beautiful. But, I thought she was lacking in technique and that she and Ben were often overmarked. I thought that she was being marked on looks rather than technique. I always felt that Ben was a much stronger technical skater. She, however, improved tremendously. Sadly, at the point where I thought they did deserve the top marks, they started getting undermarked. Skating!

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Definite-

    Evan Lysacek's OGM
    Evgeni Plushenko's lack of transitions
    Tara Lipinski's victory over MK in Nagano '98
    Oksana Baiul's victory in Lillehamer '94 over Nancy Kerrigan, Chen Lu AND Yuka Sato
    Brian Joubert opening his mouth
    Patrick Chan's scores AND opening his mouth
    Johnny's coyness
    'O' Faces
    John Baldwin for existing
    Kristen Frasier for existing
    Final results at almost any major Ice Dancing competition

  6. #66
    Just me
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    no place special
    Posts
    6,762
    vCash
    9350
    Rep Power
    1820
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Circumcision.
    Your own or someone else?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    177
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Carmen, I used to have a little issue with Tanith. I felt that she always had amazing presentation, and is clearly beautiful. But, I thought she was lacking in technique and that she and Ben were often overmarked. I thought that she was being marked on looks rather than technique. I always felt that Ben was a much stronger technical skater. She, however, improved tremendously. Sadly, at the point where I thought they did deserve the top marks, they started getting undermarked. Skating!
    These are my thoughts exactly! Tanith's technique really did improve especially once she got with Natalia Linichuk. She was not so skinny with little bit more muscle and much stronger in lifts and overall skating. This sport is just crazy sometimes.

    There are so many things that make me personally rageful but I hate, hate, hate tights over boots! So terrible! It makes the girls look like they have tumorous growths all around their ankles and should be taken to the specialist forthwith. (The only skater I will ever overlook this for is Albena Denkova because she is awesome in every way. )

    ETA: Didn't there used to be a "Say Anything" thread? Thinking about what brings out the venom made me think I need that thread.
    Last edited by sk8tingfan; 11-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Definite-

    Evan Lysacek's OGM
    Evgeni Plushenko's lack of transitions
    Tara Lipinski's victory over MK in Nagano '98
    Oksana Baiul's victory in Lillehamer '94 over Nancy Kerrigan, Chen Lu AND Yuka Sato
    Brian Joubert opening his mouth
    Patrick Chan's scores AND opening his mouth
    Johnny's coyness
    'O' Faces
    John Baldwin for existing
    Kristen Frasier for existing
    Final results at almost any major Ice Dancing competition
    Haha, so true!

    Someone explain Kristen Frasier, because I want to be fully in-the-know about all things venom-worthy.

    Oh, and I noticed that my teeth suddenly felt pointy at Oksana Baiul's 1994 mention...

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    465
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This forum generally promotes hateful behavior and commentary in the guise of "wit and humor." Such comments reflect more on the posters' self-loathing rather than the actual skaters - A reason why I only have 400 or so posts since 2002.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,241
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just thought of something else that brings out venom - When poster #2 decides that they know what poster #1 means better than poster #1 does. The twisting of words and manipulation - venom producing!

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    813
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wuz robbed discussions. Or maybe that was covered under whining.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    GP circuit induced land of insomnia
    Posts
    790
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Music that's deemed 'overused'

  13. #73
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,974
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    38320
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    This forum generally promotes hateful behavior and commentary in the guise of "wit and humor." Such comments reflect more on the posters' self-loathing rather than the actual skaters - A reason why I only have 400 or so posts since 2002.
    I'd say that "FSU is so meeeeeean" posts tend to generate a lot of venom
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  14. #74
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking through my D7100 viewfinder
    Posts
    12,071
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20374
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    This forum generally promotes hateful behavior and commentary in the guise of "wit and humor." Such comments reflect more on the posters' self-loathing rather than the actual skaters - A reason why I only have 400 or so posts since 2002.
    That's a nice user title then....just sayin'
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    On this forum: Lepisto's and Kostner's medals.

    On GoldenSkate: Lepistö and Kostner. ANYTHING related to them

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    755
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Hokay, re Ziggy's post #33 link

    Point taken. I hate English when it's (IT IS, !@#$%$^%) massacred to the point of saying the opposite of what it means ("I could care less", etc).

    But methinks I prefer Gweneth Paltrow's little grammar number in last night's Glee to the urm, emphatic link.
    Last edited by Icetalavista; 11-17-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: oh, no! I meant "night's"! Yowza! running for cover!

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can think of three categories of posters full of venom:

    1. "Mommy Police" - these are FSUers who think that it is their God-sent mission to save the children of the world from developing anorexia.They are quick to deduct rep-points to any poster who realistically (legitimately) writes that a skater might be losing points due to aesthetically-unpleasant moves or positions due to her weight, proportions, and such.

    2. "Cold War Soldiers" - these are mainly North American posters born before 1970 who take any opportunity to knock-down skaters from the former Soviet/Eastern blok, especially Russians. The venom becomes stronger if it is directed at Russian Dance and Pairs teams who are perceived as threats to Canadians, although singles like Plush are also detested, especially if it appears that the ISU might be skewing things in the Russians' favor via 'presentation marks.'

    3. "Cheese-busters" - fans who spew venom about TV skating shows that are a bit too commercial and/or gimmicky (more gimmicks than pure skating).

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Forgot one more biggie:

    UNCLE DICK BUTTON - most of us seem to like him but those who do not really spew the venom, usually in the form of "He denigrates women!"

  19. #79
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,395
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25256
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Just thought of something else that brings out venom - When poster #2 decides that they know what poster #1 means better than poster #1 does. The twisting of words and manipulation - venom producing!
    It's called debate. Just because you can't put a coherent argument together and not contradict yourself five millions times in the same thread, it does not mean that someone is being venomous when they call you on it. This is a discussion forum after all.

    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen innit.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,241
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It's called debate. Just because you can't put a coherent argument together and not contradict yourself five millions times in the same thread, it does not mean that someone is being venomous when they call you on it. This is a discussion forum after all.

    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen innit.
    Rather narcissistic for you to think my post was directed at you. But, have at it, that's who you are. I think I'll go outside and walk my dog in a very quiet peaceful place.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •