Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Disliked Online, but Popular in the General Public?

So, after reading a comment in some other thread, I started wondering about the disparity between the fandoms of the online communities and the general public.

Some skaters seem to be loathed on the internet, yet, they seem to be very popular among the casual, 'every 4 year' type fans.

What skaters do you find that to be true about?

Plushenko is the first one that comes to mind.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Evan, espeically post-DWTS.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen. To casual fans, she's a beautiful skater who couldn't keep her nerves. However, she seems to have a lot of critics on her basic skating, etc. online.
    Another one that comes to mind is Irina Slutskaya.

vCash
    I'm also gonna go ahead and add Tanith & Ben.

vCash
    In general

I think many online hate it when skaters don't have good line or bad posture. I am not so sure that the general public cares as much.

Online fans can be rabid about skaters with overused music - especially if they only use what is considered to be overused. I think that same music allows the general fan in more easily as it is often something they recognize and/or the reason it is used is because it is good to skate to or has the potential to get the crowd involved. Same goes for choreography. Online fans like to see something new - or intricate. Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.

Online fans hate skaters who are - in their opinion - overmarked or who make what they consider to be arrogant or otherwise offensive remarks to the press. Unless it is something really prominent - general fans will be unaware of such comments.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 11-14-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Sasha Cohen. To casual fans, she's a beautiful skater who couldn't keep her nerves. However, she seems to have a lot of critics on her basic skating, etc. online.
    I agree. Sasha gets a lot of critique online about things that casual fan either don't care about or understand. edges etc. Her "wow-factor" positions make her a casual fan favourite, while those with more understanding/full time interest wanted her to develop her basic skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.
    That's my mom. When she watches skating with me, she finds everyone who skated cleanly to be 'just wonderful'.

vCash
    Mira Leung. I had heard so many criticisms of her, and many Canadian posters seemed among the most critical. Then when I watched her at Skate Canada, she actually got one of the loudest applauses of the night.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan. She seems to have more detractors online than in the GP.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I would say overall the GP is more uniformly positive about all skaters than in online FS communities. Kind of ironic, considering we're the ones that supposedly love skating so much.

Definitely agree though, about MK.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    It depends on the country. Brian Joubert is very popular in France, but has many critics on the internet.

vCash
    I don't think there are any skaters who are without their online critics. "Disliked online" may be too sweeping a term.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    John Baldwin...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Comansnala?
    vCash
    I hate to admit it, but it's so f*****' true, general audiences, at least in Germany, who visit a skating show by chance, love, just LOVE!!! sparkles ("Holiday on Ice" ) and Hula-Hoop-girls & Co. on ice most ... I guess I'm not the only one who despises them (online or not) ...
    Last edited by Zokko!; 11-13-2010 at 09:50 PM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I would say overall the GP is more uniformly positive about all skaters than in online FS communities. Kind of ironic, considering we're the ones that supposedly love skating so much.
    Now what kind of fans would we be if we didn't snark about mediocrity among the skaters and the system when we see it. Our passion shows how much we care! The best fans are the ones who are most difficult to please, IMO. Why settle for okay when we know these skaters can be great and that this sport can be/should be better!

Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    In general

I think many online hate it when skaters don't have good line or bad posture. I am not so sure that the general public cares as much.

Online fans can be rabid about skaters with overused music - especially if they only use what is considered to be overused. I thinik that same music allows the general fan in more easily as it is often something they recognize and/or the reason it is used is because it is good to skate to or has the potential to get the crowd involved. Same goes for choreography. Online fans like to see something new - or intricate. Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.

Online fans hate skaters who are - in their opinion - overmarked or who make what they consider to be arrogant or otherwise offensive remarks to the press. Unless it is something really prominent - general fans will be unaware of such comments.
    ITA!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    It depends on the country. Brian Joubert is very popular in France, but has many critics on the internet.
    Yeah, I was surprised to see how well recognized he is in France.

vCash
    Ho Boy! I compare what blvd hubs and I like with what auntie likes. Of the two of groups we are on-line - she's never managed to get on-line (although I've tried, oh lordy I've tried).

She first off is highly in favour of Norte Americans over the rest of the world - then she doesn't like anyone with any show of confidence or "tongue in cheek" humour a la the old days of Katarina Witt, and Plushenko, doesn't get him at all. she just hated her. Next criteria is she has no comprehension of the aforementioned posture, line, "artistry", musicality ... she loves Rachel Flatt and can't understand why she's not winning Gold everything.

Unfortunately Nationalism and athleticism over beauty of skating wins everytime and the less strong personality the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I don't think there are any skaters who are without their online critics. "Disliked online" may be too sweeping a term.
    I'm not talking about the normal stuff. Every skater has their fans and detractors. I'm talking about those skaters who just can't catch a break no matter what. Some skaters just get so much vitriol spewed at them you'd think they were mass puppy murderers or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    I'm not talking about the normal stuff. Every skater has their fans and detractors. I'm talking about those skaters who just can't catch a break no matter what. Some skaters just get so much vitriol spewed at them you'd think they were mass puppy murderers or something.
    I agree with this - posts can be way way too full of hatred for what the skater(s) supposedly do wrong or don't do to the posters' taste. Often these skaters are quite young too and sometimes their crime is as simple as having a hairstyle the poster doesn't like or having larger hips than the average figure skater or getting marks from the judges posters don't find fitting.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but the Puppy murderer treatment is ridiculous!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    John Baldwin...
    He's missing one thing to be considered in this thread. Someone from a forum or in the general public has to actually like you.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast