Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Sorry, I don't see how Rachael has an inflated ego. I really think that this young lady is a wunderkind of sorts and is involved in a great deal and what she does she does pretty darn well.
    Seriously. And what does "inflated opinion" have to do with a debutante ball? They're a little ARCHAIC, as there's no 'society' to speak of any more (at least not with any standards--Rachel's too classy, if anything), but how does that imply she and/or Patrick have some sort of ego?

I also assumed the point was 'tee-hee, who's the girl here' sense. (I have no idea if Patrick's gay or not. Or for that matter if Rachel's straight! None of my business.) Even if he is (or she is--why are we always picking on the men?) what would that stop them from going out together to have a good time? There's no law against having a night out unless you're dating the person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I feel really sorry for you people for whom a fall means you're not able to see anything that is done afterwards (and you forget everything that has been done before).
    Actually, I believe falls should not ruin a program. Skating should not just be about jumping. ( In fact, I'm not totally convinced we need jumping at all. )

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Actually, I believe falls should not ruin a program. Skating should not just be about jumping. ( In fact, I'm not totally convinced we need jumping at all. )
    Which is why we have Ice Dance as a discipline!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Aw, that's cute. I want to see pictures, I bet they will both look really cute. I didn't know they were friends but it makes me have a better opinion of Patrick now that I know they are, Rachael seems like a lovely girl with a good head on her shoulders.

vCash
    I don't get this thread. I would go to a ball if I could LOL. I think it sounds fun!

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I don't get this thread. I would go to a ball if I could LOL. I think it sounds fun!
    You can't go!!! You have floors to scrub, windows to wash, wood to cut and beds to make!!!

...And did you shine my shoes!!!
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 11-11-2010 at 02:11 AM.

vCash
    Same here. I'm completely lost. If they want to go, let them go...??

vCash
    Hmmmmmmm ............ Purple?

I kind of expected photos and to see Rachel all dressed up.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I think it sounds like fun. There's nothing wrong with going to a ball.

I'd like to see photos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    You can't go!!! You have floors to scrub, windows to wash, wood to cut and beds to make!!!
    "In my own little corner
    In my own little chair
    I can be whatever I want to be..."

vCash
    Most debutante balls these days are connected to charities and families/friends make donations in honor of the girls who participate. They are not just "society events" anymore. I hope Rachael and her family have a wonderful time. She will look adorable in her long white dress.

vCash
    Ummmm... kind of a strange thread. Seems like sk9tingfan was more commenting on them going together? Rather than the fact they're going to a ball? In any case, as fans, we're pretty much on the outside looking in at all the skaters and giving our two cents. They're in the arena of life as figure skaters and being in the arena competing is very different I'm certain from being at our vantage point posting on a skating fan board.

They train at the same rink and seem to have struck up a friendship, which doesn't mean that it's necessarily romantic. They are both still growing as skaters and as people. I think Chan made it perfectly clear when he said to the media, "I'm not gay," that speculation in that area is not warranted nor welcomed. Unfortunately, I think his statement probably precipitated the speculation. Well, I guess some of us have nothing better to do (particularly in the media) than speculate on others' sexuality. I'm more interested in how these two will be performing on the ice this year. To be honest, I liked their skating more when I first saw them, but not so much now.

Yes, Chan has gorgeous edges and beautiful lines on the ice, but that shouldn't forgive his mistakes at Skate Canada. Yes, he deserved to be scored highly for what he did well, but his scores IMO, were over-inflated. He landed a beautiful quad, but does that mean skaters are allowed to perfect beautiful quads and let the rest of their jumps deteriorate and detract from their overall program, and that's A-okay??? Chan was overscored in sp and lp at 2010 Olympics. Will be watching closely to see if Chan's popularity with judges continues and whether it continues to go to his head and affect his development as a skater. Contrastingly, at 2009 Worlds, the judges somewhat underscored Chan (maybe a cool-it with the mouth message re his tete-a-tete with Joubert?). Anyways, skating world is sooo fickle. "A theatre of the absurd," for sure. Toller's got that right.

Regarding Flatt, I don't find her that interesting as a skater. For some reason, her skating to me seemed to have more potential when she was younger. Yes, she's a reliable competitor, very bright and well-liked in the skating community. It's nice for her that she won Nationals. Cool that she's trying to mix it up this season, so as to make a better impact with the audience. She's not one of my favorites, and right now, neither is Chan, but I'm sure they'll make a cute couple at the ball. Nothing wrong with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I think Rachael and Patrick have a pretty good grip on reality. I don't see any harm with them going to a debutante ball - I'm sure they're looking at it as a fun thing to do with their free time - both are finished high school and haven't started college yet. Sheesh, Rachael can't get a break - if she said she was staying home every night to review physics, she'd probably get grief, too.

In any event, going to a debutante ball is hardly an indication of mental imbalance. Unlike certain uber fan behaviors, including but not limited to taking meds to get through your skater's programs, cursing loudly and sobbing hysterically when your skater doesn't do well, and loudly bashing every other skater in the event. Now there's some insanity.

vCash
    They seem like two nice kids, teenagers, who need to go out and have a good time. I think they'll make a cute couple at this cotillion. I hope they have a blast. Both of them are much maligned on this board and I just don't see it. They are both cute kids. Also I like Rachel's new hair style. It suits her features and her age.
    Addicted to FSU

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    When is it? Did it happen yet? I want pictures!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    When is it?
    December 22nd (proceeds will benefit the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center).

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Thanks Sylvia.

vCash
    And here's a picture of our cutie with her lucky dance partner! http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1388125_n.jpg

vCash
    She looks great! Interesting she didn't go with a strapless dress- as they are very common, and she has a few strapless skating dresses so I figured she favored the style. But I think the dress she chose is much better for her- at least in that snapshot she looks gorgeous.

vCash
    I would too!

I think the thought of cotillion or debutante balls is rather quaint. They remind me a bit of some quinceaneras I've gone to.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast