Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Yes I'm expecting that, too. Lepisto's 3 triples and inferior skating skills are the new world standard for a medal. Jess is right on track...

Kostner is probably the only female skater in the world with basic skating better than Lepisto.

vCash
    Jessica interview on Skatebuzz

http://www.skatebuzz.com/Default.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    But she finished 7th anyway. I guess the next thing is she will medal at Nationals and go to Worlds.
    I know you're being snarky, but technically Jessica can't compete at Worlds since she hasn't met the ISU minimum SP and FS TES scores as a singles skater. I suppose she could try to meet them after Nationals, but really, she's not going to be on the podium anyway. I think a top 10 result would be good for her this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Kostner is probably the only female skater in the world with basic skating better than Lepisto.
    I concur. Her tango free really shows them off well. Shame we haven't seen it yet this year. If she could only hit a 5-6 triple program, we'd see her winning consistently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I know you're being snarky, but technically Jessica can't compete at Worlds since she hasn't met the ISU minimum SP and FS TES scores as a singles skater. I suppose she could try to meet them after Nationals, but really, she's not going to be on the podium anyway. I think a top 10 result would be good for her this season.
    Given that this is the first year of those restrictions, is she aware of this?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Can you please enhance my learning of the sport by telling me precisely what he she got credit for that he she didn't do? Or this this purely an uninformed opinion based on who you like and don't like?

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...3&postcount=61

Ha! Nice ones.

First off, I like Laura. Love the Finns in general. They bring such a much-needed presence of sophistication that so few bring. My greatest fear is that skating is all Canadians, Americans, Russians, Chinese and Japanese. Need more power countries!

Ease up, Andora. I wasn't saying Watt and Lepisto were comparable at the relative stages in their careers, but did have some peculiar similarities that would have possibly made them comparable had Watt evolved to her fullest potential. But, I'm sure I'll even be seeing the scarf in the summer...

I went back and watched more of her performances, and have decided that her SS are better than I first thought. My issue with her SS is her stroke efficiency; lots of frenetic short strokes used to attain the pretty good speed she does have. Also her phrasing is not that great. While she does deploy most edges, which is great, she does not use deep curves much if at all but rather shallow quick edges which are difficult in their own right but a little too one dimensional.

This frenetic activity with her feet translates into her choreo. She speeds through it all and doesn't let her movements breathe. I'd drop her in both PE and IN, especially since her rushing of her moves disconnects her from the music. Also I can do without the subtle arm flapping that happens as she tries to power with her feet. Makes me feel like she's trying to take flight. Needs a quieter upper body. Nice speed, but looks really junior to me from the neck down.

The last little habit she has is to tilt her head down and to the side over one shoulder or the other, particularly when she lands jumps. Really distracting. I want to grab her head and center it over her body. I can't pin that one on any PCS score so I guess I'll have to just get over it.

Net net, none of these things are reasons to drop her too far in the standings but to me are enough to say she shouldn't be winning world medals with 3 triples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Given that this is the first year of those restrictions, is she aware of this?
    I don't think she needs to be aware of it since she's not going to make the World team unless something very strange happens. I'm impressed she's even trying to compete singles at all at this stage of the game. Even if she lands nothing, at least she's getting competitive experience to keep herself mentally and physically sharp for when Bryce gets back.

vCash
    I think Jessica is also good for the other competitors. IMHO, what Canadian women often lack is polish. The top couple might have it (Joannie, Cynthia, Amelie, Myriam) but after that you see a lot of ladies who have not made the last step to looking like an international competitor. I'm not talking about actual looks (although I shudder at some of the hair, make up, and costumes - or lack thereof) but performance polish that separates out the good from the elite. Jessica has loads of polish. Having her compete at Challenge really shows the lack of polish is some of the others. If they can learn from that it can only help them down the line.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Ease up, Andora. I wasn't saying Watt and Lepisto were comparable at the relative stages in their careers, but did have some peculiar similarities that would have possibly made them comparable had Watt evolved to her fullest potential. But, I'm sure I'll even be seeing the scarf in the summer...
    I'm just bitter I had to watch a Nicole Watt skate to see what you were talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I think Jessica is also good for the other competitors. IMHO, what Canadian women often lack is polish. The top couple might have it (Joannie, Cynthia, Amelie, Myriam) but after that you see a lot of ladies who have not made the last step to looking like an international competitor. I'm not talking about actual looks (although I shudder at some of the hair, make up, and costumes - or lack thereof) but performance polish that separates out the good from the elite. Jessica has loads of polish. Having her compete at Challenge really shows the lack of polish is some of the others. If they can learn from that it can only help them down the line.
    ITA. I attended the ladies' short on Friday, and it was good to see Jessica there because, despite the jump problems, she has a very high quality of presentation (and skating skills).

I wasn't surprised by her placement. Watching her in the arena, she's immediately identifiable as the elite-level skater in this field.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567