vCash

Yankowskas and Coughlin's chances to win Nationals

What do you think of the chances of Yankowskas/Coughlin to win the U.S National Pairs title after being the best U.S pair so far on the GP circuit? They are a team I have been waiting to breakout for awhile but their inconsistency so far has hurt their chances of making it onto a World or Olympic team for the U.S. They still arent totally consistent but they seem to be getting moreso and more confident as well. And correct me if I am wrong but arent they the only remaining U.S pair to have medaled on the GP circuit in their careers now.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    I'd rather see Evora/Ladwig earn the title

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    What do you think of the chances of Yankowskas/Coughlin to win the U.S National Pairs title after being the best U.S pair so far on the GP circuit? They are a team I have been waiting to breakout for awhile but their inconsistency so far has hurt their chances of making it onto a World or Olympic team for the U.S. They still arent totally consistent but they seem to be getting moreso and more confident as well. And correct me if I am wrong but arent they the only remaining U.S pair to have medaled on the GP circuit in their careers now.
    As good as any - Rockne and Mary Beth will probably spend the season just getting used to eachother. Ditto Davis/Leftheris. D/B had a rocky start but can still improve. Y/C already beat E/L, who are a little behind where they should be at this point, I think. I just assume I/B are too old and no longer skating competitively. C/O are retired. The door is wide open

BTW, Re Y/C - I would like to see them add some difficulty to their lifts which seems immediately doable, but maybe they are handling all that they can for the moment to be consistent, or maybe there is a plan for that in the near future. I would also like to see Coughlin lift.his.darn.head and learn to extend his limbs [especially the legs] when he skates. That alone would probably help his posture somewhat and vastly improve their look on the ice, thereby helping the PCS. John, get thee to a ballet, yoga, pilates class stat.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I'm pulling for Caitlin and John so much to win Nationals! If not them, then Amanda and Mark are my 2nd hopefuls.

vCash
    Their chances are probably as good as any. Even if everyone skates clean (and most, if not all, of them won't), there is no clear-cut favorite anymore. Sure, Y/C have weaknesses (for example, they could use a harder throw in the SP), but so do D/B, E/L, etc. Unless they skate perfectly, D/B don't really have much of an advantage over this field... A team like Y/C could sneak in there with good skates. In the past, maybe it wasn't realistic for Y/C to seriously challenge for the title, but with the circumstances now, I think they definitely can.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 11-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    If Denney & Barret dont redeem themselves this week with a medal at Skate America I would say Yankowskas and Coughlin would go into Nationals as the favorites.

vCash
    ^^^^ Exactly.

If D&B don't do better this week, especially on PCS, then I think Y&C will be favored over them going into Nationals.

We'll also have to see what E&L do next. They are the most inconsistent, but also probably most capable of pulling the highest PCS score when clean. The judges had no problem with putting them on the Olympic team over more experienced I&B, so they could easily win this year if they skate well.

I think D&B have the most pressure right now. Their programs are and that death spiral received more scorn in one event than DomShabs OD all of last season. I don't know if there are a lot of people who really want to see them win, fans or judges.

vCash
    If Denney & Barret dont redeem themselves this week with a medal at Skate America I would say Yankowskas and Coughlin would go into Nationals as the favorites.
    I think so, too, although it doesn't really mean much. It didn't exactly hurt D/B to have struggled on the Grand Prix last season... Whether they medal at SA or not, they'll still be a favorite heading in as the defending National Champs. But at least Y/C have shown they are capable of beating them.

vCash
    I would love for Caitlin and John to win Nationals this year, especially after all the heartache he's been through in the past year. Their programs are probably my favorites among U.S. pairs teams this season. I also love Castelli/Shnapir's and Evora/Ladwig's music choices and programs, and hope they make it to the podium, too!

I wasn't too impressed with Denney/Barrett's outing at NHK trophy. Even aside from their technical mistakes, their programs are just...crap. Maybe they need more time to gel, but that's some of David Wilson's worst, most uninspired work, IMO.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Their GP results have to give them confidence - they're certainly capable of winning and I wish them a lot of luck. But particularly in pairs, anything can happen since both partners have to be "on". I like a lot of the US pairs teams (Mark and Amanda were one of my favorite stories from the Olympics), but I'd love to see Caitlin and John get to go to Worlds this year!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    My two faves are E/L and Y/C. Both teams when they are on are lovely to me. I think E/L are more exciting but they have to hit their throws and lifts to really sell it. Caitlin's lines are beautiful, John is not as strong but he is a very good pairs partner. I saw D/B live last spring in SOI and I was not impressed. I actually was surprised at how different they looked to me. Not at all like I had seen them on tv or in videos. They are going to have to up their game to win this year, I'm thinking.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    My two faves are E/L and Y/C. Both teams when they are on are lovely to me. I think E/L are more exciting but they have to hit their throws and lifts to really sell it. Caitlin's lines are beautiful, John is not as strong but he is a very good pairs partner. I saw D/B live last spring in SOI and I was not impressed. I actually was surprised at how different they looked to me. Not at all like I had seen them on tv or in videos. They are going to have to up their game to win this year, I'm thinking.
    What is interesting to me about D/B is that they are probably the most reliable US team for TES [NHK notwithstanding] - throw 3z and 3l, SBS 3toes, 2x-2x seq., fast, centered SBS spins, and all with usually no major errors.

Yet among E/L, Y/C and maybe some others, they are left hurting in the PCS department. Some of their shortcomings seem like they could be fixed by emphasis on posture, stroking, knees, stretch [especially by her in the lifts]. I don't know how long it would take for them to improve but it would be a good investment on their part

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Some of their shortcomings seem like they could be fixed by emphasis on posture, stroking, knees, stretch [especially by her in the lifts]. I don't know how long it would take for them to improve but it would be a good investment on their part
    This is D/B's third season together, right? They have *talked* about working on those things since the first year (I remember an article in Skating magazine last year, according to that piece they were taking both ballet and ballroom dance classes multiple times per week, etc.), but none of it seems to have made a bit of difference.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    What is interesting to me about D/B is that they are probably the most reliable US team for TES [NHK notwithstanding] - throw 3z and 3l, SBS 3toes, 2x-2x seq., fast, centered SBS spins, and all with usually no major errors.

Yet among E/L, Y/C and maybe some others, they are left hurting in the PCS department. Some of their shortcomings seem like they could be fixed by emphasis on posture, stroking, knees, stretch [especially by her in the lifts]. I don't know how long it would take for them to improve but it would be a good investment on their part
    I agree with all that but are D/B even really that consistent anymore? They have had a number of mistakes in competitions since last fall.

vCash
    Don't E/L have rocky beginnings but usually clean it up by nationals and worlds?

vCash
    I agree with all that but are D/B even really that consistent anymore? They have had a number of mistakes in competitions since last fall.
    Actually, you have a point as far as falling. Didn't one of them uncharacteristically splat at '10 Worlds on the SBS 3t? Still, they nabbed 7th and some of their other technical elements have been getting stronger [I was impressed by their SBS spins last season]. I also want to mention that their DS could be better. It just seems there are lots of little things they could be doing to garner much better PCS. The payoff would be worth the small effort. Then, perhaps they would have more points to make up for falls and stumbles

I think they have a lot to offer the top ranks of US pairs, so I don't want to kick them to the curb just yet.

vCash
    True, but I think expectations are too high. D/B skated clean LPs at Nationals, 4CC, and Worlds in their first season together, but they weren't going to be able to keep up that pace... Eventually they were going to come back down to earth. Since then, they've only skated one clean LP ('10 Nationals), but I would still call them relatively consistent. Clean LPs in pairs are a rarity, but D/B can often get through them making fewer mistakes than the others (although this was not the case this year at NHK). Their main weaknesses remain on the program components side.

Actually, you have a point as far as falling. Didn't one of them uncharacteristically splat at '10 Worlds on the SBS 3t? Still, they nabbed 7th and some of their other technical elements have been getting stronger [I was impressed by their SBS spins last season]. I also want to mention that their DS could be better. It just seems there are lots of little things they could be doing to garner much better PCS. The payoff would be worth the small effort. Then, perhaps they would have more points to make up for falls and stumbles
    I definitely agree, although I'm not sure the "little things" can be corrected with a small effort. Their SP death spiral issue should be addressed immediately, but in terms of program components, that can take a lot of time and patience. I'm sure they are working very hard, but years of poor posture and stretch don't go away overnight. It's probably much easier to correct technical elements than it is to fix something like poor posture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Don't E/L have rocky beginnings but usually clean it up by nationals and worlds?
    I'd say their general pattern has been- looking great at Liberty and Indy. Then total bombs on GP series. Then quite good at Nationals. They've only been to Worlds once so I couldn't say there's a pattern for that yet.

IMO, their performance in China was one of their best outings ever at a GP event, although they could still improve of course.

I see a lot of teams being on relatively even footing coming into Nats this year - Y/C, E/L, D/B, and C/S, as well as possibly Davis/Leftheris, Marley/Brubaker, and Donlan/Speroff also. Should be a good comp!