Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Does anyone know what happened to Yan Liu of China?

    Yan Liu of China is my favorite figure skater and my favorite athlete!

    I have been a fan of Yan Liu since I saw her skate her long program in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. I thought that she should have finished higher than 11th place overall (15th in the short program and 11th in the long program). After the 2006 Torino Olympics, I thought that she would improve and become one of the better skaters (i.e., at least in the Top 10 in the world). However, her career did not "go" as I had anticipated...

    I was looking forward to watching Yan Liu skate at the 2010 Cup of China; however, she did not skate. Does anyone know what happened to Yan Liu? Is she hurt/injured? Did she retire? Is she going to skate professionally?

    If anyone knows anything, then please let me know because I have been unable to find out what happened to Yan Liu.

    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by YanLiuFan; 11-08-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Additions and Deletions

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    She wasn't given any GP assignments right off the bat, so my 3 thoughts are she's either retired, is injured, or the federation is trying to give some of their younger athletes a chance in the GP. I thought Yan Liu would do better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics, but her results haven't improved since then. I did notice a slight improvement with her after she went to David Wilson for choreography, but her jumps haven't always been consistent and her levels on footwork/spins are usually low.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    I saw that she has programs for the 2010-2011 season so I don't think she retired. I bet she goes to 4CC.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AznSkateFan View Post
    She wasn't given any GP assignments right off the bat, so my 3 thoughts are she's either retired, is injured, or the federation is trying to give some of their younger athletes a chance in the GP. I thought Yan Liu would do better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics, but her results haven't improved since then. I did notice a slight improvement with her after she went to David Wilson for choreography, but her jumps haven't always been consistent and her levels on footwork/spins are usually low.
    Thank you very much, AznSkateFan!

    I agree with you about Yan Liu doing "better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics..." As I stated in my post, I thought that she would improve and become one of the better skaters (i.e., at least in the Top 10 in the world). However, she did not... I also agree with you that she did improve after David Wilson became her choreographer.

    Although it is difficult with all of the up-and-coming young skaters around the world, I hope that Yan Liu does not give up.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I saw that she has programs for the 2010-2011 season so I don't think she retired. I bet she goes to 4CC.
    Thank you very much, caseyedwards!

    I hope that you are right and Yan Liu goes to Four Continents!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    389
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    444
    Yan Liu retired.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Yan Liu retired.
    Hi gofigure!

    She retired? Really? Where did you hear about it?

    Thank you,

    YanLiuFan

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Another Question?

    Hi all!

    If Yan Liu has retired, then does anyone know if she is going to skate professionally?

    Thank you,

    YanLiuFan

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    389
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    444
    Someone who went to China last summer mentioned that she had retired. I can't remember what they said she was doing - going to school maybe? I don't think she is going to skate professionally.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Someone who went to China last summer mentioned that she had retired. I can't remember what they said she was doing - going to school maybe? I don't think she is going to skate professionally.
    Thank you very much for the updated information, gofigure!

    Have a good one!

    YanLiuFan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •