vCash

Does anyone know what happened to Yan Liu of China?

Yan Liu of China is my favorite figure skater and my favorite athlete!

I have been a fan of Yan Liu since I saw her skate her long program in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. I thought that she should have finished higher than 11th place overall (15th in the short program and 11th in the long program). After the 2006 Torino Olympics, I thought that she would improve and become one of the better skaters (i.e., at least in the Top 10 in the world). However, her career did not "go" as I had anticipated...

I was looking forward to watching Yan Liu skate at the 2010 Cup of China; however, she did not skate. Does anyone know what happened to Yan Liu? Is she hurt/injured? Did she retire? Is she going to skate professionally?

If anyone knows anything, then please let me know because I have been unable to find out what happened to Yan Liu.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by YanLiuFan; 11-08-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Additions and Deletions

vCash
    She wasn't given any GP assignments right off the bat, so my 3 thoughts are she's either retired, is injured, or the federation is trying to give some of their younger athletes a chance in the GP. I thought Yan Liu would do better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics, but her results haven't improved since then. I did notice a slight improvement with her after she went to David Wilson for choreography, but her jumps haven't always been consistent and her levels on footwork/spins are usually low.

vCash
    I saw that she has programs for the 2010-2011 season so I don't think she retired. I bet she goes to 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AznSkateFan View Post
    She wasn't given any GP assignments right off the bat, so my 3 thoughts are she's either retired, is injured, or the federation is trying to give some of their younger athletes a chance in the GP. I thought Yan Liu would do better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics, but her results haven't improved since then. I did notice a slight improvement with her after she went to David Wilson for choreography, but her jumps haven't always been consistent and her levels on footwork/spins are usually low.
    Thank you very much, AznSkateFan!

I agree with you about Yan Liu doing "better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics..." As I stated in my post, I thought that she would improve and become one of the better skaters (i.e., at least in the Top 10 in the world). However, she did not... I also agree with you that she did improve after David Wilson became her choreographer.

Although it is difficult with all of the up-and-coming young skaters around the world, I hope that Yan Liu does not give up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I saw that she has programs for the 2010-2011 season so I don't think she retired. I bet she goes to 4CC.
    Thank you very much, caseyedwards!

I hope that you are right and Yan Liu goes to Four Continents!

vCash
    Yan Liu retired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Yan Liu retired.
    Hi gofigure!

She retired? Really? Where did you hear about it?

Thank you,

YanLiuFan

vCash

Another Question?

Hi all!

If Yan Liu has retired, then does anyone know if she is going to skate professionally?

Thank you,

YanLiuFan

vCash
    Someone who went to China last summer mentioned that she had retired. I can't remember what they said she was doing - going to school maybe? I don't think she is going to skate professionally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Someone who went to China last summer mentioned that she had retired. I can't remember what they said she was doing - going to school maybe? I don't think she is going to skate professionally.
    Thank you very much for the updated information, gofigure!

Have a good one!

YanLiuFan