Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 169
  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yep ... and even more pretentious put downs ... par for the course for Johnny threads on FSU.

    And ain't it oh so easy to put down what you don't like ... and/or can't understand.

    Whoopee, there's another Johnny thread to open and spew disgust and one-liners.


    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    29999
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Yep ... and even more pretentious put downs ... par for the course for Johnny threads on FSU.

    And ain't it oh so easy to put down what you don't like ... and/or can't understand.

    Whoopee, there's another Johnny thread to open and spew disgust and one-liners.
    Is this an example of you showing respect for others' opinions?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Pretensions and put downs very different from having and expressing opinions ...

    but go ahead all, have at it. Johnny threads are just so revealing, never boring.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Pretensions and put downs very different from having and expressing opinions ...

    but go ahead all, have at it. Johnny threads are just so revealing, never boring.
    I like the way you stand up to the bullies and don't pander to them. Rock on!

  5. #85

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    29999
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Pretensions and put downs very different from having and expressing opinions ...
    Apparently not when that opinion doesn't happen to coincide with yours.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  6. #86
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfann View Post
    ...next one to declare their intentions to compete in 2014.... Emanuel Sandhu.
    If this is TRUE...then only Ilia Klimkim needs to make an announcement and I will have my dream podium.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Someone seems to be quite hung up, fired up or maybe just hung over regarding opinions and whose coincides with ...

    "Who's on first ...?" Or is it "Who is on first ..."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

    Funnier than a barrel of Johnny haters, ubers so-called, used to like him wishy washys (secret haters), blame him not the sport head-in-the-sand folk, and those who just enjoy needling in threads, especially in Johnny threads.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-14-2010 at 06:13 AM.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    :barf: If they had this emoticon on FSU, I would use it in this post...

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Pretensions and put downs very different from having and expressing opinions ...

    but go ahead all, have at it. Johnny threads are just so revealing, never boring.
    What do you mean when you say "pretensions and put downs"? Most of the criticisms of Johnny posted here are valid (not to mention that there is MORE THAN ONE person criticizing him). And some of them come from people who actually like Johnny....

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What do you mean when you say "pretensions and put downs"? Most of the criticisms of Johnny posted here are valid (not to mention that there is MORE THAN ONE person criticizing him). And some of them come from people who actually like Johnny....
    Exactly!Most people who blame Johnny now just feel disppointed by what he did these days,especially considered how good he can do and how much gift he had.

    many people loved him for years,and really care about him,so we said these things,if we just hate Johnny,we can just say "S**t" and go away

    I can't understand some one say loving Johnny just around this year's Olympics always says stupid things and make people think all the Johnny fans are like a joker

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think it has so much to do with disagreeing with someone. It's the words and attitude used to disagree that are pretentious and so very superior that make me want to barf. Frankly I think alot of those who criticize Johnny and his fans just to be nasty go down that road because they don't have the ammo to make a cogent argument for their opinions.
    Also resorting to making fun of his lifestyle, or the various ventures he's been given the opportunity to try, say more about the critic than they do about him. There's alot of mouth shooting about things people really have no clue about. If you really followed him closely some of you might realize how you come off as completely out of touch. He's a very open book and way more down to earth than you might think.

    Rex, some of these people perhaps USED to like Johnny (probably when he was on top because everyone loves a winner), but I find that to be a crutch when someone calls them on their mean remarks. JMO He's still the same person. Maybe a little less shy and willing to kowtow but he's a grown man now and more confident than he was in '04.

    If he never skates again in competition he's been a very influential skater. Check out the 15 year old who won Jr Worlds. Clone. And btw who was the designer of his costume? I wonder.

  12. #92

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Rex, some of these people perhaps USED to like Johnny (probably when he was on top because everyone loves a winner), but I find that to be a crutch when someone calls them on their mean remarks. JMO He's still the same person. Maybe a little less shy and willing to kowtow but he's a grown man now and more confident than he was in '04.
    As someone who USED to like him, I resemble that remark!
    You make it sound as if he's Jesus on the Cross being persecuted. He's not. He gets his slings and arrows here and elsewhere just like other skaters. Most of the top ones have been criticized here - it's what people do.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    I don't think it has so much to do with disagreeing with someone. It's the words and attitude used to disagree that are pretentious and so very superior that make me want to barf. Frankly I think alot of those who criticize Johnny and his fans just to be nasty go down that road because they don't have the ammo to make a cogent argument for their opinions. Also resorting to making fun of his lifestyle, or the various ventures he's been given the opportunity to try, say more about the critic than they do about him. There's alot of mouth shooting about things people really have no clue about. If you really followed him closely some of you might realize how you come off as completely out of touch. He's a very open book and way more down to earth than you might think.

    Rex, some of these people perhaps USED to like Johnny (probably when he was on top because everyone loves a winner), but I find that to be a crutch when someone calls them on their mean remarks. JMO He's still the same person. Maybe a little less shy and willing to kowtow but he's a grown man now and more confident than he was in '04.

    If he never skates again in competition he's been a very influential skater. Check out the 15 year old who won Jr Worlds. Clone. And btw who was the designer of his costume? I wonder.

    Thanks for making sense REO, in an otherwise senseless, pointless thread.

    Not even your reasonable, on-target take can be stomached here by some folk. I don't see anywhere a reference to "Jesus" and "persecution." I guess it's only in the minds of those who are so seemingly angry and pissed off at Johnny for either not winning, or for daring to be himself, or for flouting fs conventions ... the list goes on. Yeah, and true, everyone criticizes skaters for one thing or another... With Johnny it takes on an extra dimension.

    At a press conference earlier this year, Johnny commented ..."I've heard worse said in bathrooms about me ... If I had a chance to sit down with [critics] over a poutine, I think we'd all be like lovely people together. They would see who I really am ..." Maybe Johnny, maybe you're right about that ... Perhaps seeing Johnny in person very up close and personal might disarm his harshest of critics ... but then again maybe not.

    Johnny is more down to earth and forgiving of others and less forgiving of his own shortcomings than his critics would ever admit. In the end, what the critics have to say reveals more about themselves and their view of the world, than it does anything about Johnny.

    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/25/jo...ender-example/

    This link is interesting because it shows parts of the press conference that I hadn't seen before ... there are two clips. I think the second one was more widely distributed.


    "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Rex, some of these people perhaps USED to like Johnny (probably when he was on top because everyone loves a winner), but I find that to be a crutch when someone calls them on their mean remarks. JMO He's still the same person. Maybe a little less shy and willing to kowtow but he's a grown man now and more confident than he was in '04.
    People who used to like him, didn't like him because he was a winner. That's s stupid argument and may be true in America, but all the other parts of the world don't really care if a skater wins at his nationals somewhere over the ocean or not. People loved Johnny's skating whenever they saw it on TV or at international competitions, because of his style, because of his natural talent and his evident commitment to the sport. These people fell in love with the SKATER, and I think I'm not that far off when I say that these people took some distance after Johnny turned into more of a Hollywood primadonna and reality "star" than continuing to be an interesting athlete. The people, who can associate themselves with his recent projects are by no means haters, they just don't give a damn about his celebrity wannabee projects and continue to be the very thing they primarly used to be: SKATING fans.

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And we digress. I guess I did it first. The point of my post was supposed to be that HOW things are said can bring about a more OTT response than WHAT is said.
    I don't think he's JC but he does bear his own particular cross aside from his skating. One that the rest of them don't have to deal with.
    Any thread in this forum that mentions him become a huge whoo about him with the faithful defending him against all slings and arrows and the "haters" snarking away. He gets it not just from fans but the press. Sometimes it's like his skating is in the background to his personality for people.
    Igniculus, you're definitely right about Americans and winning. An unattractive facet of our culture and people certainly have the right to drop an athlete as a fan if he or she stops winning. But I think some around here act as if Johnny went from National Champion to off the podium for the rest of his career. I feel like he's held to a different standard sometimes. He still skates with the same style, he still has natural talent and he is still committed to his sport. Most of the crap he gets is about his off ice life not his skating. And he can't compete forever. What should he do with his life then? Skate as a pro with SOI? Yeah right.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    397
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    The people, who can associate themselves with his recent projects are by no means haters, they just don't give a damn about his celebrity wannabee projects and continue to be the very thing they primarly used to be: SKATING fans.
    That is why they use every little opportunity to bash his current activities, clothes choice, lifestyle etc. Now that is not giving a damn.

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
    That is why they use every little opportunity to bash his current activities, clothes choice, lifestyle etc. Now that is not giving a damn.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,255
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
    That is why they use every little opportunity to bash his current activities, clothes choice, lifestyle etc. Now that is not giving a damn.
    This is so true!

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    29999
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Funnier than a barrel of Johnny haters, ubers so-called, used to like him wishy washys (secret haters), blame him not the sport head-in-the-sand folk, and those who just enjoy needling in threads, especially in Johnny threads.
    Run this through Google Translator and come back again, okay?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New York, New York
    Age
    38
    Posts
    311
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Wink

    Better Late than never, My 2 cents.

    He may want to kate in the next olympics, But the won't be able to keep up with the younger sakters( not a bash just a fact) he is already behind the current top younger skaters & he will only be getting older. It sounds nice to say that Yeah, I will be there at the next olympics. But, the fact is he won't be making the olympic team at all.

    But, he does have his Reality show right now & I am pretty sure that he will find something else to do to PROMOTE himself. But the next olympics( Em I don't think so. Just Johnny being Johnny)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •