Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Did you watch heartbroken? That was amazing!!!
    Heartbroken would have made a great SP. But it's an exhibition program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Heartbroken would have made a great SP. But it's an exhibition program.
    I know that it's an exhibition, I was responding to someone who thought he skating ragged in all that skate la.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    If Johnny Weir even as-is-now is fat even by skating standards, we are all doomed.

vCash
    Well to tell the truth he thinks he is. He's in a competition with a couple friends and his agent to lose weight. He lost the first week lol.
    I doubt any of them are in fighting trim on the off season and taking a whole year must be pig out bliss. He always says even a couple pounds makes a difference to his jumps.

vCash
    I know that it's an exhibition, I was responding to someone who thought he skating ragged in all that skate la.
    But he did. The program looked lovely back in spring, now it's kinda way the shadow of its former self.

vCash
    ^ well not too bad for all the time he took off doing interviews and such plus he had hurt his hip.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    OUT OF SHAPE (ie not at optiumum cardiovascular fitness) I could see, but FAT? I have never seen a picture of a fat Johnny in my life. The boy is skin, bone, and muscle. I have the (unusual for me) maternal urge to feed him a sandwich most of the time. Or soup.

vCash
    Did you watch heartbroken? That was amazing!!!
    Yes, I saw it live at Ice Theatre of NY. Nice program but not a big stretch for him technically compared to what he was doing years ago. This was in the spring. By summer he could barely get through a watered-down Poker Face.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    smh All these sarcastic comments...allot of bitter unhappy people on here, huh? lol Anywho not a problem for me, I DON'T spend all my time here...lol

I think it would be wonderful if Johnny tried to qualify for Sochi. He'll be back next season (according to him), so we'll get a better idea then. He tweeted just the other day that he's got his 3A back already. After one training session!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Yes, I saw it live at Ice Theatre of NY. Nice program but not a big stretch for him technically compared to what he was doing years ago. This was in the spring. By summer he could barely get through a watered-down Poker Face.
    True, but we also know that by then Johnny wasn't really training and was busy doing media and other things. If he were actually focused, I'm sure his skating would be better than what it was during the summer shows.

I'm with everyone else, though. The men's field is really thriving right now. I don't see Johnny ever being able to land quads and handle difficult choreography again. Even if he did somehow manage to qualify for Sochi, there's no way he'd place in the top five. And I don't think he's the kind of skater who could accept that.

His 2010 Olympic LP was wonderful. I wish he'd end on that note.

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    True, but we also know that by then Johnny wasn't really training and was busy doing media and other things. If he were actually focused, I'm sure his skating would be better than what it was during the summer shows.

I'm with everyone else, though. The men's field is really thriving right now. I don't see Johnny ever being able to land quads and handle difficult choreography again. Even if he did somehow manage to qualify for Sochi, there's no way he'd place in the top five. And I don't think he's the kind of skater who could accept that.

His 2010 Olympic LP was wonderful. I wish he'd end on that note.
    I don't blame him for wanting to do other things. I couldn't live the life of an elite skater for long either. But as a skating fan I selfishly wish he would dedicate himself more. He is such a natural talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySpartacus View Post
    He tweeted just the other day that he's got his 3A back already. After one training session!
    Because everything on the Internets is true.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I believe him. Even though he put it on the "Internets". After all he's been trying to get back in trim and it's only been a few months since he actually skated in the Olympics. I doubt he forgot how to do a move (which was always one of his best) in 9 months. And just to be pre-emptive I know I must drink the ever popular Koolaid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Because everything on the Internets is true.
    One of our most optimistic posters, overedge!

vCash
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere ... from a recent Lifeskate interview with Johnny after a performance at Ice Theatre of New York. Always great to hear Johnny's own perspective, when there are so many who have their own strong opinions of him and so much to say about him ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcsgqJlE5I&feature=sub

Seems as if Johnny's missing the positive aspects of competition, but likely not so much the political aspects. I think as fans our perspectives are often so very different from what the skaters are actually feeling when they are out there competing on the ice and training everyday. The makeup of the sport is such that skaters are so focused on working hard and developing that they probably tend to have a way (and are encouraged by their coaches too) of blocking out the disappointments regarding judges' decisions. For Johnny, it was always a mixed bag. Maybe he'll reveal a lot more about his thinking as a competitor in his book. I think he tried as much as possible to conform to skating's unwritten rules (particularly as a young skater) without totally compromising his own sense of self. But he started late as a skater, and so he wasn't as fully indoctrinated at a young age regarding how male figure skaters must act and present themselves. I think that's a good thing, and I'm glad he has inspired others to be more creative in expressing themselves on the ice (if not off the ice -- as he's shown the pitfalls of being too outspoken and unconventional within the confines of this sport).

Johnny had such an amazing talent that within 4 years of starting to skate, he won the World Junior Championships. That was and remains an unheard of feat. I believe Johnny has such a purity of movement, and great technique on his jumps (which he lost a bit of his last couple of seasons), and such a smooth, fluid quality of skating. Johnny showed the beautiful possibilites of combining masculinity with lyrical elegance and vulnerability. He has given so much to figure skating through being himself, and its a shame that mostly everyone prefers to focus on what they perceive as his oddities, his to a fault outspokenness, and his not having broken through all the way to the top of the podium internationally. The reasons for that again, are a mixed bag, discussed seriously by some and pretentiously by others.

Watching some of this season's competitions, it's great to see the depth, energy, creativity and possibility in the men's field (despite the strictures of CoP). The fact that Johnny Weir was such a creative force within the men's field for the past 6 plus years, has more than a little to do with the excitement I think the men continue to exhibit. Obviously, plenty of forces are afoot, but anyone who denies Johnny's positive influence ... ah well.

No matter what happens next, I'll always feel it a shame that the sport saw Johnny Weir circa 2004 - 2006 with his beautiful talent and with such potential to reach even greater heights ... and to take the sport with him ... but few truly cared to go out of their way to help nurture his talent, to help him as a young man thrown into the media spotlight and caught like a deer in the headlights. To this day many in the sport prefer to downplay Johnny's talent because of his personality and the fact that his federation didn't support him 110%. Yes, let's focus on making sure Plush wins his Olympic gold in '06 (Johnny's sp deserved 1st place IMO-- sure he blew it in the lp, but who cared that he would even make the bus? Who stood up to the media and said, "Look, this is our skater. Stop speculating on the sexuality of one of our skaters. Praise his sp performance and his talent, because he's very gifted. This is a sport that supports its athletes, period." No, they all tittered about the media slam against Johnny and whispered knowingly about Johnny missing the bus and being unable to locate his aura.)

By 2010, the sport's attitude and the judges' scoring seemed to be saying, "Why is that Johnny guy even still hanging around? Let's go with Evan vs aging Plush because Evan's a hard worker with a great coach and a federation that loves him, and let's love Oda because he's an amazing jumper, and Chan with his edges and Canadian Fed behind him, and Stephane because he's so charming, creative and talented too even without skating a clean program most of the time. Let's stand back and watch that odd fellow and his documentary and tv show, throw him a few peanuts and see what he comes up with next that we can laugh about." This, even as that Johnny weirdo's competitors soaked it all up and were inspired by him to improve their own skills, tap into their own creativity and reinvigorate the men's field.

I'm hoping Johnny finds inspiration and support in putting together great skating shows. I also would love to see him helping more skaters with costumes and maybe down the road, choreography. He's also a very good commentator, IMO. I believe he could come back to compete in the eligible ranks, but honestly, the sport showed they didn't want him at the height of his abilities, so I don't exactly see him being welcomed back with open arms.

And okay, I know I’m not only beating a dead horse… but also …

Johnny makes me His and Michelle Kwan's best are at the top of the list of skating programs I could rewatch forever and never be bored.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-13-2010 at 11:34 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    whole post
    That's quite a testimonial.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    ...next one to declare their intentions to compete in 2014.... Emanuel Sandhu.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    No, I'm next. I think I'll compete. I can show them what Senior Ladies is all about. Oops. Make that Senior Citizens Ladies. Anyway, I'm announcing that I'll be competing there.

vCash
    Another Johnny thread.....another nonsensical rant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Another Johnny thread.....another nonsensical rant.
    you left out a few other choice adjectives...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast