Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Sasha is more than just an ex-Olympian, she is an Olympic silver medalist. Weir is an ex-Olympian.

Sasha's a former Olympian who won a silver medal, in the process of blowing a gold medal opportunity. Johnny's a two-time Olympian who placed 2nd after his Olympic short program in 2006 (arguably a first place performance), and then fell to 5th overall after blowing a chance to medal with a "deer-in-headlights" lp skate.

What about Olympic gold medalists Ilia Kulik and Alexei Urmanov? Russia has many Olympic gold medalists to choose from.
    Maybe all of them will skate together in a spectacular opening ceremony. Everyone knows Johnny loves Russia, and Russian skaters, etc. They seem to love him back -- he even received an award in honor of his love for Russia and his friendship with Russian people.

More likely that there will be a thread about Kwan competing in Sochi .
    Highly likely... one of those threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Elredge is a World Champion, 6 time U.S Champion and 6 time World medalist. Unlike Johnny he could return at 30 and be almost gauranteed a spot because of who he is.
    Well, Eldredge also had maintained all of his technical difficulty and was dang close on adding the quad (one ratified quad at Sectionals).

If Johnny is going to get back into at least the same shape he was in at the Olympics, who knows what can happen?

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Johnny would never announce that he will compete in Sochi. He knows he would have to qualify first if he even has the desire to try for another Olympics.

vCash
    It's funny -- if there was one member of the Vancouver Class of 2010 I felt certain would turn pro after the Olympics and never look back, it was Johnny. I doubt like hell that he's going to compete as an eligible again, but I'm really surprised that he's left the door open.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    He's working on his 3a again:
    JohnnyGWeir Going ice skating and gossiping with @TanithJLB. Triple axeling today. God protect my ankles! about 1 hour ago

Twitter

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    If he tries to compete for the US, he would need to qualify, but Azerbaijan and some of the other small ex-Soviet republics would probably welcome him with open arms...I guess Baltic countries would need to be excluded both because their citizenship requirements are stricter and the whole love-of-everything-Russian wouldn't go over quite as well.

vCash
    Come on guys. We're all pretty media savvy and way more than us, Johnny is media savvier. The interest in him (and his show) is going to be much higher (and the sponsors will like it much more) if he is perceived as still being "in the hunt," a serious skater still trying to win one for his country, and so on. A few non-specific mentions of Sochi here and there are probably going to be standard for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Sasha's a former Olympian who won a silver medal, in the process of blowing a gold medal opportunity. Johnny's a two-time Olympian who placed 2nd after his Olympic short program in 2006 (arguably a first place performance), and then fell to 5th overall after blowing a chance to medal with a "deer-in-headlights" lp skate.
    Still, the two restuls cannot be compared in any way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Sasha's a former Olympian who won a silver medal, in the process of blowing a gold medal opportunity. Johnny's a two-time Olympian who placed 2nd after his Olympic short program in 2006 (arguably a first place performance), and then fell to 5th overall after blowing a chance to medal with a "deer-in-headlights" lp skate..
    OMG, you ARE serious, aren't you ?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    http://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir Doesn't sound too confident to me.
    Last edited by mmscfdcsu; 11-08-2010 at 07:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Still, the two restuls cannot be compared in any way.
    Well, in two Olympics, Sasha went from 4th to 2nd; JWe went from 5th to 6th...you are right - no comparo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Weir, Plushenko, and Joubert are all going to be skating at the next Olympics with walkers.
    One word...Hoverounds.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Hmmm, Weir vs. Cohen . . . if we're just looking at blade to ice, Johnny is a MUCH BETTER skater than Sasha. His skating is so smooth and flowing and he makes skating look easy when he's at his very best. I never get the feeling that skating is easy when I watch Cohen. Weir's skating skills are way better. JMO.

vCash
    I think just because other skaters medaled at the olympics/worlds more often (like Eldridge and Cohen) and were able to make mult olympics doesn't mean Johnny can't. He's still been a top contender most of the time coming pretty close to medaling.

3 years isn't THAT long where he's suddenly going to be in a wheelchair. It's not far fetched to be able to skate in your 30s when you've been an elite skater half your life already. It all depends on how bad he wants it. I'm not going to count every skater out, I'll choose to be positive on this one.
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 11-09-2010 at 12:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Come on guys. We're all pretty media savvy and way more than us, Johnny is media savvier. The interest in him (and his show) is going to be much higher (and the sponsors will like it much more) if he is perceived as still being "in the hunt," a serious skater still trying to win one for his country, and so on. A few non-specific mentions of Sochi here and there are probably going to be standard for a while.
    Of course.

Weir is trying his best to maintain his Z-List celebrity status.

And look, it works!

A pseudo-announcement was made and we already have a long thread on FSU.

vCash
    I can guarantee that evenn if he was to train right now - he will never make the team.

I still don't understand how someone who is obviously artistic turned up in Vancouver with no programme. If he had any sort of choreography at ALL he'd have been on the podium.
    Last edited by poths; 11-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

vCash
    Have to laugh at this twitter:
    Ksenia is so amazing. Feeling so proud. Almost cried off my lashes. Thank you everyone for supporting my family!

I'm more about the fact that he equates friendship with "family" than I am about the lashes (which I take to mean he wears false eye lashes, which is just ridiculous - for anyone, particularly on a Sunday sitting in, watching "Family" skate on TV!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Elredge is a World Champion, 6 time U.S Champion and 6 time World medalist. Unlike Johnny he could return at 30 and be almost gauranteed a spot because of who he is.
    But can Johnny score better than Adam Rippon, Brandon Mroz and Jeremy Abbott? Those 3 guys are skating wonderfully lately.

vCash
    Abott will be 29 years old at Sochi but i dont see anyone freaking about it and Dai, Verner 28 , Contesti, Joubert and a bunch more even older. If any of them are there of course. But age is not an isue always. Weir started skating too late in comparisson to the ones who skate since 4, maybe his body is not so harmed.
    Saying this I didnt think this article was too reliable about his intentions, neither I think he can skate in Sochi but he can say whatever he wants and dreams, why not?

vCash
    And anyways, Eldridge ended up on his butt in all three olympics while Johnny stayed up so obviously Johnny can handle the pressure. He is 100% capable of a third olympics.

And even tho Todd was in his 30s his nationals programs were some of the best in his life. Same goes for many other skaters.
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 11-09-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast