Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Johnny Announces He Will Compete in Sochi

http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2010/11...igure-skating/

When I see it, I'll believe it! What; he will look like and how he will be skating 3 years from now is a huge question.

vCash
    Ditto. We'll see whether he can qualify at that point. . .

vCash
    He is in no position to just announce he will skate in Sochi, which is not that what that silly gossip fluff you linked to said either. He can only accurately state he would like to try and make the team for Sochi. He barely made the Olympic team in 2010, I would actually be shocked if he made it in 2014 (should he even try which I also highly doubt).

vCash
    If Todd Eldrige could do it Johnny can.

vCash
    Sure he will...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    If Todd Eldrige could do it Johnny can.
    Elredge is a World Champion, 6 time U.S Champion and 6 time World medalist. Unlike Johnny he could return at 30 and be almost gauranteed a spot because of who he is.

vCash
    If he has the desire and the work ethic over the next three-plus years, then good luck to him! Hope he doesn't do a "Sasha" and try to come back during Olympic season. He'll need to really commit if Sochi is in his plans.

vCash
    If he can make the team, that is!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Kind of hard to believe since he is running off in so many different directions. This year, since the Olympics, he has done little more on ice than slink around to teen music. If he was really interested in competing with all of the strong young kids and their quads he would have to start working on artistry and begin learning about music. Of course, I doubt that we will ever see him compete again. He seems to say whatever comes into his head at the moment. I wish him well whatever he chooses to do.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I don't think "announces" is the accurate verb for this thread title since all he is quoted as saying to HollywoodLife.com is:
    ... when asked if he hoped to close out his career in Sochi for the 2014 games told us, “I would love to, and am hoping to, compete in Sochi!”

vCash
    Weir, Plushenko, and Joubert are all going to be skating at the next Olympics with walkers.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I would love to compete in Sochi too. Mind you, Johnny has a considerably better chance than I do
    But if he really wants to, he should start competing sooner rather than later. I think Sasha Cohen showed us that being an ex-Olympian doesn't guarantee you any kind of special treatment if you decide to go for another Olympics.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    He did not announce anything.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    He did not announce anything.
    Exactly. The publication is a total gossip rag that is trying to invent a story out of nothing.

At any rate, I seem to remember Johnny saying more than a few times that he wouldn't publish his book until he was done competing. His book is coming out in January.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    this thread title is really silly.Johnny didn't announce anything.

Yes,maybe sometimes he's a big mouth,but most times it's the reporter's faulse

vCash
    Uh, yeah ... consider the source of so-called announcement. This is sooo not news -- just an excuse to clog the netwaves ... Neither Johnny nor Evan have said they are not competing again in the eligible ranks, because these days few skaters will actually say they are retiring, which allows them to leave their options open. However, I'd be surprised to see either Evan or Johnny actually compete in Sochi ... on Olympic ice that is.

Goes without saying the tone of this missive (by the writer) is rather clueless, unsurprisingly.

Next thing you know, "Hollywood Life" will scoop that Tara Lipinski will skate in Sochi with commentary by Michelle Kwan ,,,
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-08-2010 at 05:36 AM.

vCash
    Johnny will get to skate in the Opening ceremony with Plushy and Yagudin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Sounds about right to me. I'm convinced Johnny will be in Sochi in some capacity. Right now, I believe Johnny is trying to lose a bit of weight (pretty sure it only gets more difficult to be in tip-top shape as an athlete the older you get). Not saying it's impossible... Plushenko coming back for a third Olympics was truly unbelievable, especially after all the injuries he went through earlier in his career. In any case, I think Johnny is not really contemplating facing the rigors of competition, the downside, the politics, and the likely flat-out rejection he'd face from U.S. Fed.

@BittyBug -- maybe by Sochi, Johnny will be coming out with another book, and new costumes for a rapidly growing skater clientele, rather than a competitive Olympic program. I'd love to see Johnny commentating too -- perhaps he will for American or Russian broadcasts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think Sasha Cohen showed us that being an ex-Olympian doesn't guarantee you any kind of special treatment if you decide to go for another Olympics.
    Sasha is more than just an ex-Olympian, she is an Olympic silver medalist. Weir is an ex-Olympian.

Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    What about Olympic gold medalists Ilia Kulik and Alexei Urmanov? Russia has many Olympic gold medalists to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Next thing you know, "Hollywood Life" will scoop that Tara Lipinski will skate in Sochi with commentary by Michelle Kwan ,,,
    More likely that there will be a thread about Kwan competing in Sochi .
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-08-2010 at 08:13 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    More likely that there will be a thread about Kwan competing in Sochi .
    And an interview in which she says she'd like to be at Sochi, which will inspire a headline that she's coming back to compete.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast