Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    I'd love it if Tomas skated to Footloose! Such a good idea. It would be awesome!

dee, tell him FSU thinks that should be his new exhibition.

vCash
    More music choices ...

Risky Business music clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UVs...eature=related
    That Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPGm...eature=related
    Love on a Real Train - Tangerine Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5aRg...eature=related
    The Dream Is Always the Same - Tangerine Dream

Cool Hand Luke theatrical trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPDwUCtRAQ

Color of Money soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrjSqK7xPLE

Footloose music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwBbMXYDsXw

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    A big, hearty congrats to Tomas and wretched shame to the judges for giving the message that Chan has to fall 5 times to be considered worse than Verner. Absolutely sickening! A disgrace of epic proportions, a HUGE slap in the face to the integrity of this sport!

vCash
    It is going to take awhile to build his scores back up again. After last season he is almost starting over both as far as rebuilding his own skating and his reputation. Right now he is skating cautiously and just trying to build up some consistency with his jumps. If he continues to have that he will start adding more difficulty to both his jumps and overall program, and his skating will be sharper and stronger than now. There is also the reputation factor, his reputation took a huge hit last year and so his scores are very stingy right now and those will increase too via performance as he rebuilds his reputation and status back up again. I think if he stays on his current track things could work out well for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    A big, hearty congrats to Tomas and wretched shame to the judges for giving the message that Chan has to fall 5 times to be considered worse than Verner. Absolutely sickening! A disgrace of epic proportions, a HUGE slap in the face to the integrity of this sport!
    So true. I am so proud of Verner who had to overcome the steepest of odds to beat Chan in the judges scores. It was be like climbing the Berlin Wall in the 80s and he made it.

vCash
    I' so happy for Tomas! Congratulations!

I really don't know what to say about Chan and his mistakes and his medals!

vCash
    Hmmm, I don't think Chan even deserved to be in second place. Looks like Abbott is also not being as highly regarded as he should be by the judges, because of his poor showing in Vancouver. Abbott's lp has more difficulty than Chan's and Verner's ... go figure. Seems judges love to reward either consistency or skaters who have very good, but one-dimensional skills, such as jumping ability (Oda) or ice-coverage and superior edging technique (Chan).** Okay, Chan can land a wonderful looking quad, but in the process, he's lost consistency on other jumps. Plus Chan has, as someone pointed out in another thread, very stiff arms and upper body, lacking in expressiveness. His interpretation of music is all on the surface, no depth, and no personality. Contrast that with Verner's all-around talent as a jumper, and as an entertaining skater with expressiveness and engaging personality.

OTOH, Abbott's personality doesn't come through in the same way as Verner's -- Abbott expresses personality through the character he is portraying in the music, and the music Abbott tends to choose (especially this season) is more subtle with interesting nuances, matched with those difficult entries and exits out of jumps. I actually think Abbott in many ways surpasses even Dai. The problem Abbott has is his subtlety, his less flashy personality on and off the ice, and his reputation for inconsistency. He's made a good start to the season, but definitely should have rated higher at CoR (and even NHK), IMO, (even with the fall on quad and slight stumbles on a couple other jumps), especially in comparison to the overmarking for Chan with all his falls.

In the end, Tomas had fewer mistakes and was more consistent in both of his programs. He deserved his win.

** Also doesn't hurt that Chan and Oda both have influential Feds backing them
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-21-2010 at 01:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Hmmm, I don't think Chan even deserved to be in second place. Looks like Abbott is also not being as highly regarded as he should be by the judges, because of his poor showing in Vancouver.
    Eh, maybe that's a small part of it, but in general, his FS just wasn't that great. And I think it's the most boring program he's ever had. The first year I saw him, I absolutely loved the FS program he had. He's had some good ones over the years, but this one isn't floating my boat so far. Give me Armin's Avatar any day over that...

vCash
    Yeah, I can see people feeling Abbott's lp is boring, because the music is very subtle. I think it was discussed in another thread that the music is to a movie soundtrack, "Life is Beautiful." Too bad it's hard for many to get into the music and recognize the subtle nuances, because the actual difficulty of his choreography gets overlooked as a result. He skated it better at NHK. Abbott's personality too seems quieter and more sensitive than most; he's not flashy. He was able to move under the radar, when the focus was more on Johnny and Evan -- perhaps not so much now. In any case, I still think Abbott is a front runner to repeat as National Champion because he seems to perform well there. We'll see now when the pressure and expectations will be greater how he will react.

Gotta love Armin, and Avatar is great music too! A great breakthrough for Armin, who I've heard hasn't always been consistent in the past. It was fun to see him step up to the plate and take advantage of the opportunity to show his skills internationally as a senior. We'll see how Adam rebounds from his poor performance at Skate America too.

And back on topic: Go Tomas!

vCash
    Yeah, I can see people feeling Abbott's lp is boring, because the music is very subtle. I think it was discussed in another thread that the music is to a movie soundtrack, "Life is Beautiful." Too bad it's hard for many to get into the music and recognize the subtle nuances, because the actual difficulty of his choreography gets overlooked as a result. He skated it better at NHK. Abbott's personality too seems quieter and more sensitive than most; he's not flashy. He was able to move under the radar, when the focus was more on Johnny and Evan -- perhaps not so much now. In any case, I still think Abbott is a front runner to repeat as National Champion because he seems to perform well there. We'll see now when the pressure and expectations will be greater how he will react.

Gotta love Armin, and Avatar is great music too! A great breakthrough for Armin, who I've heard hasn't always been consistent in the past. It was fun to see him step up to the plate and take advantage of the opportunity to show his skills internationally as a senior. We'll see how Adam rebounds from his poor performance at Skate America too.

And back on topic: Go Tomas!

vCash
    I do think Abbott's reputation is not at a high point from the judges now either. They are tired of waiting for him to come around, they expected big things from him at 4CCs and Worlds in 2009, and GP final and Olympics in 2010, and he let them down each time. Now they are just bored with him and dont consider him a big star in waiting or a heir to the throne of any kind anymore. Then again Verner's is not either and we see what happened and the judges were definitely willing to place Abbott ahead of Verner if he skated well. Abbott has to go in thinking, like Verner at the moment, that he has to skate perfectly at the moment to get recognition. Nothing less will do, until he establishes himself again in their eyes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I do think Abbott's reputation is not at a high point from the judges now either. They are tired of waiting for him to come around, they expected big things from him at 4CCs and Worlds in 2009, and GP final and Olympics in 2010, and he let them down each time. Now they are just bored with him and dont consider him a big star in waiting or a heir to the throne of any kind anymore. Then again Verner's is not either and we see what happened and the judges were definitely willing to place Abbott ahead of Verner if he skated well. Abbott has to go in thinking, like Verner at the moment, that he has to skate perfectly at the moment to get recognition. Nothing less will do, until he establishes himself again in their eyes.
    I agree and think the same thing is happening to Joubert, who skated fairly clean at CoC and only came in 4th. His PCS in the LP were quite low for him (72) and his score was only 135 overall, yes it wasn't that great technically and the program isn't his best but I thought he deserved in the mid 140s for that performance.

I think all 3 men are at a little bit of a disadvantage right now because of what happened last season and have to show some solid, consistent skates in order to get their reputations and scores back up to where they should be. I thought Verner's score in the FS here was fair and a very good score, but its more in the SP that the judges seem to be holding him down, especially because I think his SP is fantastic! I think that is the reasoning behind him trying to peak at Europeans this season, in Europe Verner still has a pretty good reputation and if he skates well he will get big scores, and that way if he goes into Worlds as a European medalist or Champion it will get him some recognition and a good reputation and hopefully good scores if he can skate well there. Joubert probably has a similar mindset. The odds are looking good for both of them this season where the European field seems pretty open and they have PCS advantage over most of the other men there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    My favorite performance from Tomas,

Always look at the bright side of life
    A hobo with sequins

Risky Business music clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UVs...eature=related
    That Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seger
    No! He might think he's supposed to skate in tube socks and boxers!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    How much longer then are the judges going to accept Patrick Chan being a human zamboni? It seems it doesn't matter when he's bum-planted to the ice, but everyone else has to pay for their mistakes forever. Chan let the judges down at 2009 Skate Canada (granted, he was injured), the 2010 Olympics, the 2010 Worlds LP (that's the messiest silver medal mens' finish I ever recall seeing at senior Worlds for the men), 2010 Skate Canada SP, and 2010 COR LP. Chan's mistakes don't seem to matter though; his PCS are still astronomical and are always there to save the day for him. He has shattered the record for most falls in history for a mens' winning ISU event in figure skating with 4 falls at 2010 Skate Canada and very nearly repeated in Russia expect for a rule technicality. PCS punishment for poor performances bypasses the great Chan I suppose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Tomas skating to West Side Story would be , he'd make such a cute Jet .
    Yeah, West Side Story has great music, but it's a bit over-used.
    Yes, WSS music is overused but most of the time its a woman skating to some combination of Maria/Somewhere/Tonight (e.g. Akiko Suzuki last year). Music from the opening and the gym dance aren't used as often:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8R9GiLImSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2uaRmlQNg

The Mambo sequence is my absolute fave but to use it in a program you'd have to edit out them yelling "Mambo!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I agree and think the same thing is happening to Joubert, who skated fairly clean at CoC and only came in 4th. His PCS in the LP were quite low for him (72) and his score was only 135 overall, yes it wasn't that great technically and the program isn't his best but I thought he deserved in the mid 140s for that performance.

I think all 3 men are at a little bit of a disadvantage right now because of what happened last season and have to show some solid, consistent skates in order to get their reputations and scores back up to where they should be. I thought Verner's score in the FS here was fair and a very good score, but its more in the SP that the judges seem to be holding him down, especially because I think his SP is fantastic! I think that is the reasoning behind him trying to peak at Europeans this season, in Europe Verner still has a pretty good reputation and if he skates well he will get big scores, and that way if he goes into Worlds as a European medalist or Champion it will get him some recognition and a good reputation and hopefully good scores if he can skate well there. Joubert probably has a similar mindset. The odds are looking good for both of them this season where the European field seems pretty open and they have PCS advantage over most of the other men there.
    I think in Joubert's case they might be giving him the hint it is time to move on. He has been on the scene and near the top awhile and the World has already seen his best amateur skating probably. So irregardless if his skills still merit being at the top amongst the current field that exists if he skates well, I think we might see that continue for him. Later in the year will give us a better idea though. The judges have been giving Fumie Suguri the hint to retire for half a decade now and she still wont.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think in Joubert's case they might be giving him the hint it is time to move on. He has been on the scene and near the top awhile and the World has already seen his best amateur skating probably. So irregardless if his skills still merit being at the top amongst the current field that exists if he skates well, I think we might see that continue for him. Later in the year will give us a better idea though. The judges have been giving Fumie Suguri the hint to retire for half a decade now and she still wont.
    . I was under the impression that Brian was only trying to stay in until 2012 Worlds in Nice, but maybe after his disasterous Olympics he might think of staying until Sochi? Idk, I really like the guy and wouldn't mind if he sticks around a while longer. I mean, when was the last time he was off the European and Worlds podium? It seems like he's always been on them for forever.

vCash
    Look who did a wonderful interview piece on Tomas!

http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...masverner.html

Great questions, deedeelocks! Lots of interesting quotes here...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    How much longer then are the judges going to accept Patrick Chan being a human zamboni?
    Looooooooooooooooooooooonger.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    Post FS interview @ CoR

It's hard not to like this guy.
    He is the cutest.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast