Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Congrats to Tommy on winning his first GP!

vCash
    Ditto. Perhaps the change of venue for his traning is helping him with his focus, so that he bring to the ice in competition what he can do in practice. I hope so.

ETA: Won't he have qualified for the Grand Prix Final with this win? He has (15+11) 26 points, which should ensure him a spot no matter what happens at TEB.
    Last edited by geoskate; 11-20-2010 at 03:03 PM.

vCash
    Good for Tomas! Congrats!!!

Wherever the beautiful and artistic male skaters are! :-D
    vCash
    Kudos to Tomas for winning gold in Russia!!! I'm very pleased that he brought Tigger to the ice and not Eeyore.

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    ETA: Won't he have qualified for the Grand Prix Final with this win? He has (15+11) 26 points, which should ensure him a spot no matter what happens at TEB.
    I haven't checked my math yet, but I think he's safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Good question. Mathematically he's in.

So far we have...
    1. Daisuke (15+15)
    2. Patrick (15+13)
    3. Tomas (15+11)
    4. Nobunari (13+13)
    5. Jeremy (13+11)

Next week Takahiko, Brandon, and Florent can qualify, but only two of them can qualify above Tomas (Takahiko if he medals and either Brandon or Florent if one of them wins TEB).

This is based on Lanna's figures from earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    In FRA will be Takahiko KOZUKA (15), Brandon MROZ (13), Florent AMODIO (11), Kevin REYNOLDS (9), and Brian JOUBERT (9).

vCash
    So happy for Tomas! I'm so glad COR went to a truly great skater and a deserving person!

vCash

Thumbs up

Yay, Tomas won! Congratulations!

So good to see him being healthy and happy again. He reminds me a lot of two of my all time favorate male skaters, Browning and Kulik. What a showman and what a charmer!

My favorite performance from Tomas,

Always look at the bright side of life

vCash

Talking

Post FS interview @ CoR

It's hard not to like this guy. He thought he's gonna be in 3rd place, so winning the title must be a pleasant surprise for him. Check it out if you want to know what happened to the lovely blue shirt for MJ number.

His English is excellent (the best among European skaters who're not native English speakers), his Russian is very impressive as well although he's quite humble about it. I know he also speaks fluent German and also some Italian and French. He's amazing.
    Last edited by aymkjb88; 11-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    Wow he is just so adorable and seems like such a lovely person. Very impressive English as well. So glad to see him happy and skating well again. He's only been training in Canada for about 2 months and already the progress has been leaps and bounds. So proud of him, I hope he rocks at the GPF because like he said he has nothing to lose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ninadel View Post

Next week Takahiko, Brandon, and Florent can qualify, but only two of them can qualify above Tomas (Takahiko if he medals and either Brandon or Florent if one of them wins TEB).
    Can't Joubert or Reynolds also qualify? I know obviously neither can qualify above Tomas, and both can't qualify, but if one of them wins then 4+1 should make it to the final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Can't Joubert or Reynolds also qualify? I know obviously neither can qualify above Tomas, and both can't qualify, but if one of them wins then 4+1 should make it to the final.
    It's possible that one of them could bump Jeremy out, true! I hadn't even thought of that.

You'd think Joubidou could do it... and if I recall he's made the GPF in a similar fashion before, but he doesn't have a good TEB record does he?

vCash
    It's possible that one of them could bump Jeremy out, true! I hadn't even thought of that.

You'd think Joubidou could do it... and if I recall he's made the GPF in a similar fashion before, but he doesn't have a good TEB record does he?
    Not last year. But usually he tends to bomb one GP (and when I say bomb I mean like 4th place) and then wins the next. The field at TEB isn't the easiest though.

vCash
    Tomas is such a lovely blend of accessible and aristocratic Wonderful skater, and deserves good results. Congrats Tomas, keep it up!

vCash
    Yay Tomas! I still am not fond of his LP, but the SP is great. Wish him allll the best at GPF!

(Is he going to GPF? yes, right?)

vCash
    Thanks for posting that link to Tomas' Festa on Ice exhibition. Really fun... I hadn't seen it before. I love Tomas' sweet-natured cool. It's great to see him receiving all this love. He got my attention with this 2007 Worlds performance, where I think he should have medaled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQCqgTFFn8

Like I said before, I'd love to see Tomas skate to a medley of Steve McQueen and/or Paul Newman (movie music), and a Risky Business (Tom Cruise) exhibition. Tomas is such an enjoyable skater to watch. Congrats on your CoR win, Tomas!

I'd love to see a Worlds podium of Dai, Abbott, Verner. For me, Chan and Oda are not my favorites because IMO the difference with them is they don't exhibit any personality or style -- yes, Chan has smooth edges and an amazing talent, and Oda is a superb jumper. They will both continue to receive love from the judges too, even though neither are truly complete all-around skaters. Dai, Abbott, and Verner excel at being good athletes and artists with depth, difficulty, and an extra dimension to their skating, which Chan and Oda lack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    He got my attention with this 2007 Worlds performance, where I think he should have medaled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQCqgTFFn8
    Interestingly, the LP score at CoR surpassed his 2007 LP score at worlds, which has been hanging around as his LP personal best for the last 3 years. Granted this is all subjective and the rules have changed since then, but I hope this means we'll soon stop talking about his potential and should-have-could-have blahblah and start talking about him kicking some butt.

Like I said before, I'd love to see Tomas skate to a medley of Steve McQueen and/or Paul Newman (movie music), and a Risky Business (Tom Cruise) exhibition. Tomas is such an enjoyable skater to watch. Congrats on your CoR win, Tomas!
    My current wishlist for Tomas music is... Competitive program: West Side Story (esp. the more masculine bits), Carmina Burana, and La Strada. Exhibition: Footloose (it helps that the floppy hair makes him look like early-80s-Kevin-Bacon!).

vCash
    Interestingly, the LP score at CoR surpassed his 2007 LP score at worlds, which has been hanging around as his LP personal best for the last 3 years. Granted this is all subjective and the rules have changed since then, but I hope this means we'll soon stop talking about his potential and should-have-could-have blahblah and start talking about him kicking some butt.

My current wishlist for Tomas music is... Competitive program: West Side Story (esp. the more masculine bits), Carmina Burana, and La Strada. Exhibition: Footloose (it helps that the floppy hair makes him look like early-80s-Kevin-Bacon!).
    Tomas skating to West Side Story would be , he'd make such a cute Jet .

I'm also encouraged by this FS score considering he wasn't completely clean (2a step out and grabby landing on 1st 2a) and didn't do a quad and it's early in the season and the program still needs mileage. His PCS mark was especially impressive, so I'm thinking if he can keep this up, if he brings the quad into the FS, he could potentially score over 160, which would definitely make him competitive for a world medal. Even without a quad, by the end of the season he still might be able to break 160. This is all so very exciting, I was hoping Verner would have an Ando like comeback after the Olympics last season, and so far it seems like he's off to a good start.

I would love to see Tomas skate to Princess Bride, just one of those things I've always wanted him to skate to

vCash
    aah, if Tomas would skate to Carmina Burana I think I'd murder him
    La strada is nice but Takahashi recently skated to this so I don't think it'd be a smart idea.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    Yeah, West Side Story has great music, but it's a bit over-used.

Here's some music clips from The Thomas Crown Affair (1968 Steve McQueen version):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luLDw...eature=related Windmills of Your Mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdeAjtQVEA0 The Boston Wrangler

And from Bullitt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAGL8C9y8bg Shifting Gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psG5h...eature=related Bullitt Main Theme (Version by Noke)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S__L_...eature=related Bullitt Main Theme original w/ opening movie credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMc2RdFuOxI&feature=fvw Car Chase Scene

All jazz music, which Verner showed he excels at with this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6C6s226nZ8

Lots of skaters and choreographers were inspired by his music/ performance.

Challenge of course with use of any music for skating, is in the cutting of it, and placement of jumps -- having choreography meld perfectly.

vCash
    Thanks for posting that Youtube link of his post-FS interview. Just so adorable!
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I'd love to see a Worlds podium of Dai, Abbott, Verner.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast