vCash

Solo Ice Dance Competitions?

Hi all,

I am currently searching for an ice dance partner (seems to be a near-impossible task!) and I was wondering if there were any upcoming competitions that offered solo ice dance events? I'm trying to get my skating "out there," so to speak. Also, any advice about parter searching or upcoming group tryouts would be much appreciated. I know this isn't really the best time to be searching for a partner as it's the middle of the season, but I'm just trying to get a head start

Thanks guys!

vCash
    Where are you located (i.e., which continent/general region -- no need to specify your exact location)? What level do you dance at? Are you looking for solo FD/OD or compulsories only?

vCash
    I'm in Western Canada but am willing to travel to compete. Right now I'm dancing at the Novice/Junior level. Solo FD/OD would be preferable, but compulsories are great too!

Watch me move
    vCash
    I've never seen a Canadian competition with solo OD or FD.

A lot of adult competition have solo CDs - sadly, not Nationals, but many of the local/regional events. The Western Canadian adult event in Abbotsford in January will probably have them. Also, some of the "regular" competitions that don't have specific adult-only categories, but that have "regular" categories with no upper age limit, don't mind if adults enter.

If you're willing to travel, there are many more adult events, or regular event with adult categories, in Ontario and Quebec than there are in the West (sigh). You might want to look at the webpages for the Skate Canada sections in those provinces.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Thanks for the information, overedge. I should mention that I'm not yet old enough for the adult competitions

Watch me move
    vCash
    Oops! My bad. I just assumed you were, because people who post here looking for competitive opportunities are usually adults.

That being said, I still can't remember seeing any competitions with solo OD or FD. Starskate regionals and sectionals used to have solo CDs, though. I'm not sure if that's still the case. And many local Starskate events (e.g. interclub competitions) have solo CDs.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Lake Placid's ice dance competition (usually in June or July) is quite big and has solo complulsories. It's a huge draw for couples dance, so it would be good to mingle there if you're looking for a partner. I'm sure Canadians can compete.

vCash
    No problem, overedge! I figured posting here for competitive opportunities was a bit of a long shot. I appreciate your advice, and I'll look into local competitions as much as I can.

vesperholly: Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to Lake Placid this year, but I'm going to try to make it next year if I don't have a partner by then. Thanks for the good idea!

vCash
    I am glad you are doing dance, whether solo or with a partner. I have known of people who won't skate on their own unless they have someone to hold on to. However to develop skills you do need to be able to work on your own.

I hope you do manage to find a partner though.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks Aussie Willy