^^I don't know whether to or

I choose to
    ITA......
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venja View Post
    ^^I don't know whether to or

I choose to

geoskate too now eh? Lordy! GET A LIFE PEOPLE and STAY OUT OF MINE.

You may THINK you know but in reality do you? NOPE.

Gotta love how this thread is a personal attack now. Interesting hypocrisy on the net as usual.

WHY does anyone care what I say or what anyone else says? I don't get it. Last time I checked it's a free world. People are SO brave behind a screen.

If you don't like what I have to say then don't read it and ignore it? I graduated kindergarden years ago...some here seem they are still there. Or only children? Or just plain lonely? Learn how to PLAY with others. ALL others...differing skin, differing view points. Imagine the possibilities if people opened their minds to others???

Bottom line...some here take all this far too seriously. It's a skating chat site. Period.
    Last edited by withrespect; 11-18-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: not finished yet lol

vCash
    Good god. With all the bragging you've done about your insider connections, you've been GAGGING for the posters here to pay attention to you.

Then, someone questions what you've already posted about umpteen times and you go on a defensive rant about being stalked? We'd love to get out of your life, thanks, but you keep shoving it in our faces.

Learn how to PLAY with others. ALL others...differing skin, differing view points. Imagine the possibilities if people opened their minds to others???
    Really? You're going there and then saying others take this too seriously?

vCash
    seriously guys....can we just go back to main topic "Vanessa and Paul"??

vCash
    Now that they are going to the GPFinal, I am looking forward to seeing their programs again, and seeing the improvements that a few weeks will result in. I'm wishing them all the best.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by withrespect View Post
    WTF are you STALKING ME? Good grief get your own life and get out of mine. You know what they say about assumptions right?
    As geoskate already pointed out, it takes all of about 5-10 minutes to read past posts of forum members. I guess you didn't know that, eh?

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for someone who spends their time looking up other people's posting history or be flattered you think I'm important enough to do so.

You know NOTHING about me nor who I am.
    Perhaps if you hadn't posted so much about youself I really WOULD know nothing about you.

vCash
    seriously guys....can we just go back to main topic "Vanessa and Paul"??
    Except this really was about 'Vanessa and Paul".

It was about something being posted about Vanessa and Paul that is competely inappropriate coming from someone who (in their own words) is quite involved in the skating community in COS, including judging competitions. If that's true, that's someone who could affect the career of Crone/Poirier. All skaters rely on those with power in the skating community to be at least somewhat fair in their judging and assessments. Obviously nobody can leave their preferences completely behind in making assessments of skaters or in judging, but this was so blatantly biased against Vanessa and Paul that I think it needed to be confronted. I'm thankful that Rafter had the courage to do it.

If it had been coming from a casual fan (or non-fan, in this case) there would have been no problem, because casual fans don't have any impact on whether skaters are treated fairly in the competitive careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    If it had been coming from a casual fan (or non-fan, in this case) there would have been no problem, because casual fans don't have any impact on whether skaters are treated fairly in the competitive careers.
    Exactly! A few key points from the Skate Canada Officials Code Of Ethics:

Evaluators, judges, referees and accountants are official representatives of the Skate
    Canada and will at all times conduct themselves in a manner befitting such a privilege of
    appointment.
    To be ever mindful of the influence one can exercise over skaters, coaches, and other
    officials and to never abuse this trust.
    To exhibit the important character traits of honesty, reliability/dependability and
    cooperation when dealing with all participants in the sport so as to bring credit to
    officiating.
    withrespect might want to go back and review this document before making any further comments.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Having just seen them live at Skate America, I'm dumbfounded by the comments about Vanessa's posture. I wasn't familiar with them before but I was dazzled by her splendid body, particularly her back. The colors of the costumes were a bit perplexing but their simplicity emphasized their fine lines and the stark story that is told in Eleanor Rigby. a bit of a stretch, but we've seen worse.

vCash
    WTF are you STALKING ME? Good grief get your own life and get out of mine. You know what they say about assumptions right?

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for someone who spends their time looking up other people's posting history or be flattered you think I'm important enough to do so.

The only thing I know about you is that you're a pain in the a$$

vCash
    Now that I've finally seen SC on TV - with much better sound and bigger, sharper picture - I have a much better idea of what is going on in their FD.

On the costumes - This dance works on just so many levels - it is amazing what a good choreographer can do. When I first saw this program, I was one of the people who thought of Red Album/Blue Album - and I think that is valid. But on a deeper level, in keeping with the theme of the work, she - in red - stands out - the main character of the song and the focus in the dance. He - in blue - is meant to be anonymous - blue is the new black [or grey]. I keep remembering those old 50's movies or Twilight Zone episodes, where they put people in greyish body stockings to express anonymity or alien-ness. On stage they would dress them in black against a black backdrop - where they become almost invisible.

That blue I think represents that kind of thing - like a bluescreen - you just fade into the background. It might be more effective if he wore some kind of blue hood over his face, but that might be OTT. He is meant to represent her meaningless, emotionless social encounters with the outside world. Going through the motions [of the dance], but without really connecting with anyone.

The music [now that I can properly hear it] does have some emotion in it - especially at the end, where it builds in intensity. But that emotion - to me - is mostly angst with a bit of pathos - she desperately wants to break out of her box - to connect with someone - and at the end she strives hard for this - but it is ultimately impossible for her, and she returns - untouched and unchanged - in the exact same position [physically and metaphorically] she started from.

This dance is incredibly bleak in outlook - like the song - and I LOVE IT!! This is the most intelligent piece of choreography I've seen - well probably since Carmina Burana [which was also Deans]. I have so much for them for trying something like this - esp considering how young they are.

Great stuff! I hope this encourages more dancers to use real choreographers instead of getting cr@p from their coaches.

vCash
    Thanks for posting your interpretation Tak.

People have indicated they "don't get it". However, not everyone can be good at interpreting every book, dance, etc. I remember in highschool English class, I had to read the book "The old man and the sea". It was just about an old man who went fishing, and had to spend most of his time trying to protect his huge Marlin catch from Sharks etc. In the end he failed, and returned home with basically just a skeleton of a fish. I didn't "get it" until I was required to write an exam essay relating the book to religion. It was many years ago, but I recall interpreting the rope cuts on both of the old man's hands to the nail wounds in Jesus' palms. After returning, he struggled to carry his boat's mast up the hill to his home. I recall relating that to Jesus carrying the cross up the hill.

For those who "don't get it", it can be helpful to read other interpretations. It helps people think more deeply than what is simply on the surface.
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.

vCash
    Thanks Tak for that interpretation as well. I had a gut feeling when I watched it at Skate Canada that it was about a stuggle against alienation, but didn't quite know how to put it into words. As a widow who lived alone for a few years before hooking up with another wonderful guy, I could really identify with the character of Rigby, and the struggle to maintain contact with the outside world by putting on a "face" so to speak. By the way, I have turned my BF into a skating fan (lol) and he is also a fan of this wonderful young team, and of several other teams, and ice dance in particular......so neat
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I love all of the FD music costumes etc ' but I just can't stand the last move where Paul yanks Vanessa over his shoulder by the ankle It's waiting for it at the end ' like when we waited for V/M goose .
    Do you know what I mean ? Here it is' our own very unique signature move
    Has anyone got a name for this move yet ?

vCash
    The program also included subtleties which may not be noticeable to TV viewers (since the TV cameras did not perform a closeup shot at that point), or even to other people at the K-Rock Centre. At the one point during their routine, Vanessa and Paul twirled around by the boards, holding their hands next to their head. I believe the expressions on their faces (which could only be seen close-up), was meant to portray angst (either that or they thought their program was going to be a failure ). I suspect the reason the choreography had that specific move performed next to the boards, was to make it easy for at least some people to see.
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-22-2010 at 03:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    I love all of the FD music costumes etc ' but I just can't stand the last move where Paul yanks Vanessa over his shoulder by the ankle It's waiting for it at the end ' like when we waited for V/M goose .
    Do you know what I mean ? Here it is' our own very unique signature move
    Has anyone got a name for this move yet ?
    It could also be symbolism. After being pulled over Paul's shoulder, she glides away, he grabs her ankle and pulls her back, and they re-form the opening pose as Tak mentioned.

That part of the routine could represent Eleanor Rigby's attempt to escape her situation, but getting pulled back. Not sure how the flip over the shoulder works into it, perhaps just a fancier way of doing it.

On second thought: The flip over the shoulder could represent Eleanor Rigby trying to get-over/past an obstacle to escape her lonely life, but can't.

Could Paul represent the loneliness (feeling "blue") in her life, following her around (the rink) like a shadow?
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-22-2010 at 03:52 PM.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Tak and rvi5, I agree with your observations and analysis of this haunting dance. It's a true work of art!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post

Could Paul represent the loneliness (feeling "blue") in her life, following her around (the rink) like a shadow?
    This is nice interpretation "Interesting as my english leterature professor would say "

I really like this program and I think they have a nice time to work on it till the GPF. Good luck to them

Oh and i hope Vanessa is better now from her shoulder injury.

vCash
    Since Eleanor is supposed to be dead at the end of the dance, so that death forms a happy release (per their coach's interview), I'm not sure how the flip over Paul's should says that. I thought it was just a cool move, myself.

Unless it's a trip/fall into the grave/crematorium/whatever?????

vCash
    If indeed you are an accredited judge, I'm surprised you're posting here because Skate Canada tells all of their judges NOT to post on the internet. There are a number of former posters to this forum, very active posters at that, who immediately stopped posting when they started shadow judging.

Does Skate Canada know you're going on the internet, telling everyone you're a judge and on the development committee, and trashing COS skaters? If not, I'd be happy to let them know. You've posted enough personal information about yourself that I'm pretty sure we could find out who you are quite quickly.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast