Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I think Paul is a much better ice dancer than Scott
    Opinions vary, of course, but this is what Evgeni Platov had to say about Scott:

"Moir, in my opinion, is a real find, a true talent, quite unique. He has a gift to make each movement beautiful. The coach does not have to invent anything – everything is done by nature. The only thing is not to spoil him…"

Link to interview translation: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...message/184831

Coming from a two-time OGM, that's high praise.

That said, I agree that Paul is a very good dancer and I look forward to seeing him develop, along with Vanessa.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I do like Scott and he has had some magical moments on ice, but my issues with him come from his facial expressions at times seeming over the top; he is guilty of excessive O-face, and I'm not a big fan of that. Also, he has badly botched twizzle sections in a couple of major competitions, such as 2009 Worlds OD and 2010 Worlds FD. At times I'm also not a fan of how he comes off to the press. Still, he's a fine artist and athlete on the ice and I do like him; I just happen to like Mr. Poirier better.

vCash
    ^ Scott has skated a lot of great programs on his way to the top, not to mention three great programs under Olympic pressure as a front-runner.

We'll see if Paul can do that, as he climbs his way up the ladder. As yet, he is untested in the big leagues (i.e. as a world podium contender). By the time Paul's been on the world podium for a couple of years (assuming they get there) and has dealt with the heightened expectations, demands and pressure that come with it...not to mention injuries to the team....I bet we'll find that he's made a couple of errors here and there.

I'm not trying to be critical of him by saying this - I really like Paul's skating. He is clearly talented and I look forward to seeing him develop. But it's an apples and oranges comparison between him and Scott at the moment - Scott has proven himself at the world podium level, Paul has not.

I hope that he and Vanessa keep working and improving. It's good for ice dance to have as many strong teams as possible.
    Last edited by flowerpower; 11-16-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fix typos

vCash

i hate this team

I saw crone and poirer at skate america. They showed no charisma, no charm , no nothing. I don't get why they get such high marks. They are one of the most boring dance teams I have ever watched. At the other extreme is the frantic movements of Kaitleen Weaver - that girl needs to slow down.

vCash
    I've really grown to like Vanessa and Paul. I did'nt much care for their 08-09 program but I loved last years. Loved the music and the cheography. Costumes were but they always seem to be with those two.

I really like this years program as well. I was'nt sure I would but its growing on me. Even the costumes and music are. I can see why some people would find it boring. Comparing it to the speed and often (IMO) frentic programs of Davis/White it comes off less entertaining.

I also agree with the criticisms of Vanessa's posture. Even Robin Cousins mentioned how distracting he found it at the Olympics. I do think a large part of that is costuming too though. At least I see her trying to project some personality into the dances. Too often I find Paul a blank slate in contrast.

As for comparing Paul to Scott. I much prefer Scott. Yes he overemotes at times but at least he shares a connection with his partner, looks at her and gives off a vibe that they are a couple skating together. I actually think Scott is one of my favourite male dancers.
    This is my biggest issue with Paul. He is a great skater but I often feel he is skating beside Vanessa rather than with her. He does'nt appear, at least to me, to show any interest in her at all. For a couple that have been together that long I find it odd and distracting. I am not sure if its a comfort thing for him. But I think its something he needs to work on. I tend to disconnect from their programs at times because I don't feel a connection between them. It suits the Eleanor Rigby program but they all can't be this way. Just my nonprofessional viewing audience opinion.
    Last edited by Clytie; 11-16-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Its hard to proofread when your going to be late for work.

vCash
    I realize I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer Vanessa and Paul over Tessa and Scott. I've totally fallen in love with C/P this season! He, in particular, has stunning posture, style, and body lines on the ice. For me, Crone's & Poirier's power and athleticism stands out more than Virtue's & Moir's do. Plus, I think Paul is a much better ice dancer than Scott; however, I do prefer Tessa over Vanessa. JMO. I guess my dream Canadian dance couple would be if Tessa and Paul danced together. Anyway, I wish Vanessa & Paul all the best this season . . . they have improved so much and I am really cheering for them to make a huge breakthrough this season. Also, I wish Tessa a speedy and full recovery from her injury.
    I dont know, maybe in Paul age Scott wasnt so good. Paul have a greate potential, but now he isnt so strong, like Scott is. If he has difficultes with lift Vanessa this year, how he could lift Tessa?
    Do you remember, how Scott didnt let Tessa fall on ice in OD at SC last season? He could in the same time hold Tessa and still on his feet.
    And Moirs edges and posture is amazing I didtn talk about his charisma.

vCash
    . Also, he has badly botched twizzle sections in a couple of major competitions, such as 2009 Worlds OD and 2010 Worlds FD. At times I'm also not a fan of how he comes off to the press. Still, he's a fine artist and athlete on the ice and I do like him; I just happen to like Mr. Poirier better.
    Last season Paul didnt have mistakes only at WCh in FD and at OG FD
    Last edited by pani; 11-16-2010 at 02:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post

This is a huge undertaking for them - and I congratulate them for embracing the challenge and not going the safe route. Another coach might have kept this program til they were more mature. But I think by working on this concept and trying hard to get it across to the audience they will learn so much - about posture, line, style, presentation - that it will be worth it.
    ITA! I am so impressed that they are pushing themselves like this at this stage in their career. I love how this team really listens to the criticism about their skating...in fact, they often pick out those thing on their own and work on them (I have heard this in their comments to the press). They know they need to push their expression further, and I really feel that they are doing that. I also noticed the improvement in Vanessa's posture; this is something that takes time to change and I am happy she is addressing it now. I saw this program when they debuted it at SC and loved it. It was still very rough being a brand new and very challenging program, but I could appreciate the transitions and I really feel that they are emotionally invested in the program. I love the greater attention to detail...the positioning and extension of the limbs, for instance...they are really finishing their moves. The way in which they relate to each other has also developed. These two are so technically proficient that I can sit back and just enjoy their beautiful skating. Their speed and power is just breathtaking. And they are different...they have set themselves apart from the other teams. I cannot wait to see these two at the GPF!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    I love the greater attention to detail...the positioning and extension of the limbs, for instance...they are really finishing their moves. The way in which they relate to each other has also developed. These two are so technically proficient that I can sit back and just enjoy their beautiful skating. Their speed and power is just breathtaking. And they are different...they have set themselves apart from the other teams. I cannot wait to see these two at the GPF!
    Absolutely! I couldn't have said it better. Who says every couple has to convince everyone in the audience that they are in love? Too much lovey-dovey connection makes me . Think of how boring it would be if all these dancers skated the same types of programs and exhibited the same types of emotions. Not every Canadian dance couple has to be clones of Virtue + Moir. Who would want that anyway?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen View Post
    I saw crone and poirer at skate america. They showed no charisma, no charm , no nothing. I don't get why they get such high marks. They are one of the most boring dance teams I have ever watched. At the other extreme is the frantic movements of Kaitleen Weaver - that girl needs to slow down.
    ditto espec the I hate this team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by withrespect View Post
    ditto espec the I hate this team
    From reading your past posts, you:

-clearly have connections to Barrie/Mariposa skaters and club
    -are a skating judge
    -are a "good friend" of Brian Orser's
    -are or were a long-time skating club President and on the Central Ontario Section's skater development committee

And you are posting stuff as quoted above?

What are your thoughts on Paul & Islam?

(As an aside, I hope Skate Canada, Carol Lane and C&P's parents encourage them to stay away from internet skating boards.)

As for C&P's skating, I think part of the reason they are getting the marks they are is because they have excellent edge quality - very deep with a good run to their blades. They also carry good power and speed throughout their programs despite doing little crossovers. They also have programs that are chock full of transitions and they seem to handle that difficulty well.

Their leg extension/unison is improving as is Vanessa's posture. They are still very young and are young enough to improve in these areas. It's not like they are 28 or 30 years old where it is too late to improve on these things. They are both still teenagers IIRC.

I agree with the poster who said that they don't want to see every team doing romance/fake romance in their programs. Variety is good and I think C&P are setting themselves apart stylistically and choreographically. I think their FD this year has the potential to be amazing if they can master the choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by withrespect View Post
    I don't mind him (Paul) but I cannot stand to watch her. I much prefer Islam and Paul.
    Now there's a surprise considering the Mariposa connection!

Thank you for answering my question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    ...It's not like they are 28 or 30 years old where it is too late to improve on these things. They are both still teenagers IIRC...
    Paul turned 19 about 10 days ago.

Vanessa turned 20 on Oct 29th, the first day of competition at Skate Canada International.

One section of the audience began singing "Happy Birthday" when she was in the K&C awaiting their SD scores. A PA announcement was also made on the final day when they entered the K&C for the FD scores.

vCash
    I guess Chris Dean is the guest judge on BOTB next week. I wonder if he will extend his stay in Toronto to work with C&P before GPF?

vCash
    Think of how boring it would be if all these dancers skated the same types of programs and exhibited the same types of emotions. Not every Canadian dance couple has to be clones of Virtue + Moir. Who would want that anyway?
    Exactly! I haven't been the biggest fans of C/P in the past, and really felt that W/P should have gone to the Olympics. I tend to like more classical lines. That's my opinion. However, C/P are winning me over with their FD this year. I love that they are stepping in a new direction and trying something really challenging. It's a brilliant choice, and will grow and develop over the year. V/M are simply stunning and unique. C/P are completely different, but especially in the FD, captivating in their own way. W/P have lovely long lines and a style all their own. Although I think they need a little program shake-up, especially in their FD. All this diversity and quality is a fantastic thing for Canadian ice dance. Every team should have their own personality. There is no need to create clones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    W/P have lovely long lines and a style all their own.
    I am not trying to be mean here, but what is the style W/P have that is all their own? How would you describe it? Because I dont see it. If anything, they are looking more and more like a re-tread B/K - esp in that SD.

They are tall, so their lines are long, yes, but all too often they are not lovely. Her line and positions this year are leaving a lot to be desired. That FD is doing them no favors IMO. It is far too "cluttered", they often look like they can't keep up with the choreo, and worrying so much about what to do next definitely detracts from the interpretation and performance.

Who did their choreo last year? Because it doesnt look like the same person to me - and last year's FD was much better IMO.

vCash
    Who says every couple has to convince everyone in the audience that they are in love? Too much lovey-dovey connection makes me . Think of how boring it would be if all these dancers skated the same types of programs and exhibited the same types of emotions. Not every Canadian dance couple has to be clones of Virtue + Moir. Who would want that anyway?
    so well put! ITA--I do not want to see every dance team doing the 2 people in love thing. I want variety in the types and aspects of relationships we see on the ice. This FD really gets at that loneliness of ER and the escape from it at the end. We are so lucky to have teams that offer us so many different styles.

vCash
    "From reading your past posts, you:

-clearly have connections to Barrie/Mariposa skaters and club
    -are a skating judge
    -are a "good friend" of Brian Orser's
    -are or were a long-time skating club President and on the Central Ontario Section's skater development committee"

WTF are you STALKING ME? Good grief get your own life and get out of mine. You know what they say about assumptions right?

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for someone who spends their time looking up other people's posting history or be flattered you think I'm important enough to do so.

You know NOTHING about me nor who I am.

vCash
    Well, we know this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this.

That took me about ten minutes. I'd say we know quite a bit about you, unless you have a habit of making up lies when you post. And no, I'm not stalking you (nor is Rafter, of course).

You do realize that any member can go on to the community list and list all the posts by any poster?

Perhaps in the future you should show a bit more discretion in what you post, especially if you are actively involved in the skating community.

vCash
    ^^I don't know whether to or

I choose to

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast