Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    While C&P do not remind me of the Duchesnays themselves particularly, this FD program still reminds me of their Reflections program, because of the kind of choreography that Christopher Dean did for both programs. Probably that's what Tanith was getting at.

I'd be happy if they just changed Vanessa's hair for the SD. No pulled back 1900's schoolteacher do with a honking huge ugly clip. Please?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I'd be happy if they just changed Vanessa's hair for the SD. No pulled back 1900's schoolteacher do with a honking huge ugly clip. Please?
    I SO agree. In England, this particular hairstyle is known as a Croydon Facelift. It's never meant as a compliment!!

Oh wait, I thought you were talking about the FD. But yes, the SD hairstyle is actually worse!

vCash
    Dear Tracy Wilson,

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the uplifting rule has not passed congress, in the end.

If you're going to commentate, you should know your shit.

As for Belbin comparing C&P to D&D, I assume she is trying to live up to the stereotype of dumb blonde. Those teams have absolutely nothing in common.

C&P have the technical ability that D&D never had. But their skating is usually much more introverted and they don't have the natural showman(woman)ship that D&D had. As a result they style is completely different too.

vCash
    T. Belbin's comment about them being like D&D is just to sound intelligent and canny in front of the camera (mnost likely something she read on forums) as most of the info/fluffs she talks about is right from the web (like last season she used GoldenSkate as her resource , I won't be surprised at all if she's doing that this year). And Belbin doesn't like C&P, she's never liked them, but that's understandable and okay, she needs to save room for her Samuelson & Bates when they return. At Skt America, she'll talk about C&P lacking X Y and Z, but oh nos, not the Shibutani&Shibutani, they have the most unlimited potential to carry traditions of American ice dancing and are just awesomes.

But that's understandable, she's saving a spot for her Samuelson & Bates. Also, during her commentary on the American network she said C&P have a much better handle on their basics than in the past. Okay. But if this pertains specifically to C&P then why doesn't she say this about 90% of other teams who pertains more to this than them? Anyways. But that's okay though, she's doing her job and saving spot for S&B.

But back to topics of Crone & Poriner: Sometimes, Vanessa looked constipated on the ice, like she can't wait to go number 2 upon leaving the ice. Now she's better at curbing this habit than in the past. I don't love their SD. And she doesn't have that good expression in her upper body and core and from the neck to waist: (just like Pechalat but Vanessa of course has worse posture). Paul is a fantastic skater and ice dancer. I love it!

Hoffmann & Zavozin have a beautiful waltz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXHl0XQHco : the only SD where I wasn't bored in the first 45 seconds.
    And Nora Hoffmann is a really good skater too. (Although I prefer their SD to FD)

Faiella & Scali have disappointed me greatly for their failed Waltz and Flamenco performances at Cup ofo China. I want to cry. :
    Last edited by piano18; 11-11-2010 at 09:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Dear Tracy Wilson,

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the uplifting rule has not passed congress, in the end.

If you're going to commentate, you should know your shit.

As for Belbin comparing C&P to D&D, I assume she is trying to live up to the stereotype of dumb blonde. Those teams have absolutely nothing in common.

C&P have the technical ability that D&D never had. But their skating is usually much more introverted and they don't have the natural showman(woman)ship that D&D had. As a result they style is completely different too.
    Tanith said the programs were similar. She did said both teams have atack or something and nothing else. She didn't said nothing about their style being similar...just the programs.

I really like C/P FD, I like abstract things makes us think more. They have a lot of room to grow with this program, I hope it gets better and better.

Their Sd is ok. Vanessa need a costume changing as well..she allways star the season with horrible dresses. I hope they do some changes on the program...I don't know...their opening lift is incredble but the rest of the program is kind of boring. I hope they work on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    T. (like last season she used GoldenSkate as her resource , :
    And you know this how?

Those of us from Golden Skate are not aware of it.

Tanith's only commentary last year, AFAIR was at Worlds.

In all likelihood, Tanith used Universal Sports/NBC Sports as a source. And she probably used it this time, too.

Certainly, as a long-time ice dance competitor in both the COP and 6.0 eras, who grew up in the Canadian system, and trained in the Zoueva/Shpilband and Linichuk schools, she knows a lot more about ice dance than either you or I do, I would strongly suspect.

vCash
    Certainly, as a long-time ice dance competitor in both the COP and 6.0 eras, who grew up in the Canadian system, and trained in the Zoueva/Shpilband and Linichuk schools, she knows a lot more about ice dance than either you or I do, I would strongly suspect.
    Here's where you're making the assumption that she's not only capable of competing herself, but also looking at it critically and analytically from outside.

But very few skaters are.

vCash
    In any case, I would like to know which of these four articles about Worlds, which Tanith might have referred to, (although I very much doubt it) are so
    eye-roll worthy

Preview
    http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/..._preview.shtml
    By Elvin Walker
    CD
    http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/w_cd.shtml
    By Anna Kondakova
    OD
    http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/w_od.shtml
    By Anna Kondakova
    FD
    http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/w_fd.shtml
    By Anna Kondakova

vCash
    Oopps, not worlds or last season (she only did that one event- its this season, sorry) . Where else would she know Paul&Islam competed at Minto-golden skate article. Type it on google. And the comparison with Duschesnay's program - in the forum section most likely.
    I should wait until the end of this season though to see how much of her Fluff/program notes before and during competition are like the GS ones on articles and forums.
    Last edited by piano18; 11-11-2010 at 11:44 PM.

vCash
    In all likelihood, Tanith used Universal Sports/NBC Sports as a source. And she probably used it this time, too.

Where does NBC get their sources?

vCash

Same place as other news services

From wire services, from press conferences & interviews given by skaters, skating journalists, possibly ice network/USFSA, and their own employees that they hire to cover skating, and whatever.

vCash
    well anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Crone/Poirer fare at Skate America.

vCash
    I won't be surprised at all if she's doing that this year). And Belbin doesn't like C&P, she's never liked them, but that's understandable and okay, she needs to save room for her Samuelson & Bates when they return.
    It also may have to do with the fact that C&P have shown more choreographic range in three seasons than B&A did in their entire career and she knows it.

INTJ
    vCash
    I really took notice of this team at a practice at the Olympics. They did their free dance and the entire rink was silent. Even DelSchoes stopped, and then clapped when they were done. I hadn't really appreciated their skating before that.

I love their free dance. They are doing a fantastic job of setting themselves apart stylistically. I'm too young to remember the Duchenays (sp?) but to me this dance is completely fresh and different. There are so many subtleties in the choreography and imo, it's brilliant. I can't wait to see it executed to its fullest.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post

It's not a bad program, but it lacks coherence or originality, IN MY OPINION. Of course, it may be very meaningful and delightful and moving to another viewer.
    you can say a lot of things about it but I think it is very origional ( well that could be after all the DRAMA :diva: s of years past!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

i think she ws just trying to show that she actually knows a few NON us ice dance teams by name

Where does NBC get their sources?
    where all the canadian networks do..... FSU!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    It's just a comment from Tanith Belbin, who seems to be continuing the Susie Wynne tradition of commentary.
    Well, that explains it! Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    According to what Tracy Wilson said on CBC, C&P are portraying the life of Eleanor Rigby -- she said with the new rules oplifting music" it's a challenge skating to ER when it's about the story of a person who lived and died invisible to the world -- so they open and close the program in the identical pose, "portraying her death not as sad but as liberating from the life she led".
    I'll have to watch it again with that in mind, but that certainly wasnt my first impression. It didnt seem linear [telling a story] to me at all. I can understand part of what she's saying - because the spare, lean lines - there's a starkness and barren-ness in this program - do effectively mirror the isolation and loneliness of the character in the song. [In fact, that might be what first suggested this idea to him.]

But as for the rest - it might be something they came up with to cover themselves in case the 'uplifting' rule came in. [And - like in all art - different interpretations are possible. It's a very personal thing.]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I really took notice of this team at a practice at the Olympics. They did their free dance and the entire rink was silent. Even DelSchoes stopped, and then clapped when they were done. I hadn't really appreciated their skating before that.
    Awesome.

I love hearing that. Thanks for sharing it.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I realize I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer Vanessa and Paul over Tessa and Scott. I've totally fallen in love with C/P this season! He, in particular, has stunning posture, style, and body lines on the ice. For me, Crone's & Poirier's power and athleticism stands out more than Virtue's & Moir's do. Plus, I think Paul is a much better ice dancer than Scott; however, I do prefer Tessa over Vanessa. JMO. I guess my dream Canadian dance couple would be if Tessa and Paul danced together. Anyway, I wish Vanessa & Paul all the best this season . . . they have improved so much and I am really cheering for them to make a huge breakthrough this season. Also, I wish Tessa a speedy and full recovery from her injury.

vCash
    I don't mind him (Paul) but I cannot stand to watch her. I much prefer Islam and Paul.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast