Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Crone and Porier - 2010/11 :)

This season, I believe, is a breakthrough season for this young team, with Scot and Tessa gone for most (if not all) of the season. I believe they have left their closest competitors slightly behind (Weaver and Poje, who I also like) but we'll know for sure after Skate America. I'm just a fan and not a skater or judge so I would like to hear what some of you have to say about their skating. I've heard complaints about Vanessa's posture, but couldn't detect anything negative at Skate Canada and watching on TV after. I really loved their costumes which suited the LP and looked crisp and clean and showed up very nicely on ice.

Comments?
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I fisr saw them last year during the grand prix season and I din't liked tehm at all, i don't no why, but later at the Oly they apeard to be another team for me.

I really like their FD this season and their skating much more confident.

vCash
    I've liked them since their YoYo Ma FD (two seasons ago). I can still watch it over and over.
    Last season, I was not fond of their programs.
    But this season, I love their FD. I have the feeling that they find their own style. And what I particularly like is that it hides her flaws.

vCash
    I think this team could be on podium at WCh this season. They have now third score from all competitiors. And they will improve there levels for some elements.
    Will see, what score they will have in USA

vCash
    I love this team and the variety they have shown in their programs and their hard work and determination to keep improving and challenging themselves all the time.

People are entitled to their opinions of course but I think the complaints about Vanessa's posture and lack of expression or too much expression or whatever else is supposedly wrong with her are overblown. Personally I am much more affected by the ease they have skating with each other after all these years and their genuineness.

Last year in their OD at the Olympics they seemed intimidated and nervous and their skating was not what it could have been. But by the FD they looked much more comfortable and they seemed to have learned and grown from the whole experience. By Worlds they were rocking it!

I am excited to watch this team over the upcoming years.

vCash
    I like this team a lot. Something in their quirkiness appeals to me. Even though they are young - they have a distinctiveness that so many teams lack. I even liked their offbeat choreography and costumes last year [although I'm almost a minority of one on that]. They definitely need to work posture, stretch and line - more and better ballet for her! - but I think she has improved noticeably this season.

Working with Christopher Dean will help them in so many ways - that dance is all about lines and angles - making her hold positions will definitely force her to concentrate on maintaining her lines. I expect them to improve a lot this season.

Technically I think they are one of the best teams out there. They do some incredibly difficult stuff - they were doing difficult twizzle entries before they became mandatory. I certainly hope they continue working with Dean and/or other outside choreographers.

I have great for them as skaters, partly for their ability, and partly because - like D/W in the US - they are not ballroom ice dancers but are pushing for something different. Which I like. But it's hard to do this in North America - which for some reason has been the last holdout for the ballroom style. If V/M skip this season, I think C/P have a strong chance to medal at Worlds.

vCash
    I don't know yet to what degree I like them- have to follow them more- but they are to be commended for trying to find their own style in an interesting way, through use of modern dance and unusual lines. I enjoy their FD quite a bit and it might be great with more mileage.

vCash
    Vanessa's posture is better but still weak for a team at this level.

I think their FD is an absolutely stunning program. SD is ok, although not outstanding.

I love their basic skating, it's so smooth and soft.

vCash
    I saw their FD at SC and was mesmerized. The choreography stood out by a mile. Although I have been somewhat indifferent to C&P in the past, this FD is a winner, and they interpret it with great style.

vCash
    I really loved all of the ODs and FDs they've done over the past three seasons. It's great that they're are getting more recognition now.

I last years FD so so much that the new one pales a bit in comparison, but it's still my favorite thing I've seen so far this season. I actually think their team could have done a better job of choreographing to that music than what Dean gave them, but whatever, it's a done deal.

LOVE the SD too, minus that version of the song.

vCash
    I never liked them, I must say, cause to me they always seemed just cold - in the typical Canadian dance team kind of cold. I actually never liked any Canadian ice dancers, I guess because they all always seem so stiff and out of emotion.
    This season's dances of C/P are like giving up on the coldness a bit and I guess I could even like their FD just as much as anyone, but there's one huge issue I have about it - I was already charmed by an Eleanor Rigby free dance, not so long ago so there is no way I'm gonna love this one as much as that one. Will always have Meryl and Charlie in my head hearing this music, sorry so, as much as I see this FD is really good, it still bugs me a bit. And it still lacks emotion anyway.

vCash
    I think I would like their FD better if the music was different. This version of ER just sounds dry. Doesn't bring out the emotion.

mia joy, one Canadian ice dance team that was not stiff and emotionless was Bourne/Kraatz. I loved them for years, always interested to see what they would come up with next. Their soft knees and flowing style was evident the very first year they won Canadians...1993. It was harder for me to follow them back in the 90s without the internet and since I'm American, I could only see them at their international comps. I have enjoyed immensely being able to see their old programs now. Funny but the only recent Canadian team that I think had that B/K vibe was Hann-McCurdy/Coreno but they didn't have B/K's skating skills. Too bad. V/M are in a different category altogether to me. They are amazing in a completely different way from B/K.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I loved their FD last season but this is a huge step up for them. Great call on working with Christopher Dean! It's a brilliant program, my favourite of the season so far, even if I think there are still some costuming and presentation issues (though not nearly as bad as previous years!) .

I would love to hear who these "stiff and emotionless" Canadian dance teams are...

vCash
    What's the deal with the blaring blue and red costumes? Are they meant to be patrio... oh wait, they are not even American or French. I don't get what the relatively abstract choreography has to do with the song Eleanor Rigby either --- at least it did not leave me with the sense of "loneliness."
    Last edited by Jun Y; 11-08-2010 at 02:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    What's the deal with the blaring blue and red costumes? Are they meant to be patrio... oh wait, they are not even American or French. I don't get what the relatively abstract choreography has to do with the song Eleanor Rigby either --- at least it did not leave me with the sense of "loneliness."
    Well, you probably don't know the Beatles discography.
    Their best of was in 2 discs : The red one and the blue one

About the choreography and the theme, I can't help you. I guess they decided to do something modern, new, without a real sense, just for the pleasure to feel the music.

Does anyone know if there is a message in their choreography ?

vCash
    There was an interview somewhere where they cited not the Red and Blue albums, but the British flag was the inspiration for the costumes. Some of the angular, diagonal, and triangular poses/lines is probably flag-emulative. If I had to guess what Dean was getting at. (presumably because the Beatles were British).

I alternate about this team. I really, really like that they have determined to have their very own, distinctive style. I think that's the way to go about any artistic endeavor. It is not necessary for me to like their stuff to really respect what they are trying to do. OTOH, I really liked their YoYo Ma FD. I like this year's FD, but they still haven't showed it to us in its very best version, and I can't wait to see it! In one sense it's like last year's program. It is totally not about Eleanor Rigby or the Beatles, any more than Bohemian Rhapsody the music is about Orpheus, and really the choreo was bogus and not about Orpheus or Queen, or Bohemian Rhapsody either, in any discernible way for me. I really hated their Bohemian Rhapsody/Orpheus/WTF FD.

I would be happier if they gave their FD's some abstract name. They could call this year's program A Study In Angles rather than Eleanor Rigby. It would be better without vocals, too, IMO. But it's really fine the way it is.

It reminds me a bit not of the Duchesnay's Eleanor Rigby, but of their Reflections FD, which Dean also choreographed. I really liked Reflections.

OTOH, I detested their non-Flamenco OD, found their Ragtime OD mildly annoying, and I can't stand the version of Fallin' in their SD, and the skating doesn't make it any better for me.

vCash
    I am not in love with this team or their FD this season. I applaud them for going in a different direction than V/M but now they are compared to the Duchesnays (not sure I spelled that right, sorry). They need to find THEIR identity.

As to costumes, they really didn't bother me until I saw the podium pictures from SC. It is extremely unflattering on her.

vCash
    I don't get it. I appreciate Crone/Poirier well enough, but I don't get Dean's choreography. If the FD is meant to be a pure expression of the music without connection to the original song lyrics, why leave the lyrics in the FD rather than use an instrumental version? No offense to Beatles fans, but pop songs are not designed for musical intricacies and complexities. The material is pretty thin for abstract, modern, detailed dance interpretation, IMHO.

I spotted quite a lot of modified Torvill/Dean signature moves in this FD. Modified but recognizable. To be completely honest (and blasphemous), I personally have not seen a substantial amount of progression or innovation in Chris Dean's choreography, musically or dance-wise, in the past 10 years. I admit that my eyes are pretty myopic, so I could be wrong.

vCash
    I would probably say, Jun Y, that I have not seen Dean's choreography change in closer to 20 years. I always recognize his style and his moves. In the 80s, T&D's style and moves were extremely innovative but now they are so recognizable (to some) that I, personally, don't find it innovative. I'm a huge T&D fan, I liked most everything they ever did. But for some reason, I don't care for his style on other skaters.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Love the team. Great FD.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast