Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who Needs Redemption? All about the Men

In the midst of preparing for the upcoming Cup of China event, it is apparent that as a few more skaters enter the GP race this season- they share one thing in common: looking to set aside disappointments and inconsistencies from the past season and (hopefully) starting anew.

Who of the following men needs redemption the most and will be able to calim it? Brian Joubert, Tomas Verner, Samuel Contesti or Takahiko Kozuka - or do you have your own skater in mind?

If you are willing to have your response quoted on air during the CBC broadcast - please put an OK after your answer - if you would just like to share your opinion - that's great too!

As always - thanks to all of you for sharing your ideas - you have great things to say and I feel fortunate to be allowed to be here! Cheers Pj

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Verner needs redemption the most. His 2009-10 season was a total disappointment. He also has nowhere to go but up at this point.

Joubert at least got some redemption at 2010 Worlds.

Kozuka needs to re-assert himself as being one of the top 3 Japanese male skaters for 2010-11. Landing a clean 4T at Cup of China will help his cause, as well as placing ahead of Machida.

Verner, Joubert, and Contesti should have little difficulty making their nation's 2011 Worlds team, but the competition to make the Japanese Men's Worlds team (at home, no less) will be intense.

Voronov is also looking to come back from his poor performance at 2010 Euros that cost him a trip to the Olympics and at 2010 Worlds that left the Russian men with 1 spot at 2011 Worlds (due to Borodulin's skate blade mishap as well). If Voronov does not have good results during the Fall GP season, he risks being pushed aside permanently in favor of Gachinski and Borodulin.

OK
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 11-03-2010 at 06:09 PM.

vCash
    I'd have to say Tomas Verner. He's incredibly talented, yet he totally bombed his big events last year. Verner has a lot to prove right now. He has a headcase reputation and has to show that he can hold it together when it counts.

I'm sure Joubert is also looking for some redemption, but at least he picked up a bronze medal at 2010 Worlds, which enabled him to end his season on a better note than his disastrous finish at the 2010 Olympics. I don't think Kozuka needs redemption; he did fine last year, considering he is Japan's number 3 skater.

ok
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Tomas Verner for sure. Last season was a big disappointment, and a lot of it wasn't his fault where he got so sick, and then Brezina overwhelmed him, and then he lost confidence in himself, and the combination was just too much to overcome. I really give him credit for exploring his options and making a coaching change this season, it shows that he is really motivated to improve and perform at his best. He's so talented that I have no doubt he could win this event and even a medal at Worlds if he can stay focused and consistently skate up to his potential!

Brian Joubert was in need of redemption after the Olympics, but he did a good job of redeeming himself at Worlds so it would be nice if he can just show that he has not allowed himself to regress back into his Olympic mindset, that he is back on the upward swing.

Kozuka had a bit of a meltdown in his FS at Worlds but was otherwise strong last season; he could use a little redemption but doesn't need it as much as Verner of even Joubert.

OK

vCash
    Kozuka is not that bad. He is Japan's #3 skater so even if he lands a quad and 8 triples, the judges will continue to held him PCS wise. But skating to clean programs will help his reputation. Its Oda who might need redemption after bombing the SP last year at world (again not surprising when you look at his tendency to crack at big events).

Brain is ok, but at least he managed to pick up a bronze. And he is the only guy who managed to stay on the podium from 2006-2010, and thats quite achievement, inspite of peoples bashing him about his lack of artistry and yadi yada. It will be nice for him to pick up another world title thou.

Verner is prob the most underachiever skater inspite of all the talent and having a complete package to be a world champ. He is long due for a world medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    He also has nowhere to go but up at this point.
    wow, this is painfully true...
    I really hope he does get his redemption at last, he's so talented and so charismatic and has the best relationship with the audience when he skates. I miss that hardcore, self-confident, kick-ass kid from the 2006/2007 season. And he could still do so much better than then!

Verner, Joubert, and Contesti should have little difficulty making their nation's 2011 Worlds team, but the competition to make the Japanese Men's Worlds team (at home, no less) will be intense.
    I don't see in any way Joubert's difficulties with that, if he skates decently. Him and Amodio are out of anybody else's leage in France right now. How many spots for Worlds does France have again?
    And who is Contesti's competition again?
    And doesn't the Czech Rep have two spots as well? So that would make Tomas and Michal pretty safe, right?

I'm sorry, I think I'm a bit out of the topic here. Please correct me if all I think is wrong

OK

Wherever the beautiful and artistic male skaters are! :-D
    vCash
    I agree with the other posters that Tomas Verner has the greatest need for redemption. I'm not sure if he will get it this season, but I wish him the best of luck because there is so much to love about his skating (when he's not falling apart on the ice, of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    How many spots for Worlds does France have again?

And doesn't the Czech Rep have two spots as well?
    Yep.

vCash
    And who is Contesti's competition again?
    No one, unless you consider Paulo Bacchini competition, which I don't where he doesn't have a 3a in his arsenal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    No one, unless you consider Paulo Bacchini competition, which I don't where he doesn't have a 3a in his arsenal.
    Paolo Bacchini can do a triple axel. Not often, though; apparently that's one jump Peter Grütter doesn't teach very well (coughLambielcough).

To answer PJ's question, I think Tomáš Verner needs redemption. He's got a truckload of talent and if he could just keep it together and skate two programs worthy of his abilities in the same competition, he could be a world champion. ok
    Last edited by Nomad; 11-04-2010 at 01:47 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Tomas Verner. One of the great all-around talents in the men's field. He can do it all, and his jumps are beautiful when they are on. He has musicality, humor, and the ability to engage his audience. I hope he's recovered from illness and can overcome last season's disappointments and regain the form that won European silver. (OK)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Tomas Verner. One of the great all-around talents in the men's field. He can do it all, and his jumps are beautiful when they are on. He has musicality, humor, and the ability to engage his audience. I hope he's recovered from illness and can overcome last season's disappointments and regain the form that won European silver. (OK)
    He won European GOLD in 2008!

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    I'm sorry, I think I'm a bit out of the topic here. Please correct me if all I think is wrong
    Maybe you misunderstood what I meant? "little difficulty" meaning "easy" in English.

I agree with your opinion. Verner, Joubert, and Contesti (barring any unforeseen circumstance) are expected to make their nation's 2011 Worlds teams.

vCash
    They all need it, but I'm looking forward to Brian Joubert so much. During the Olympics, he complained about the size of the Pacific Coliseum and said other things that were kind of obnoxious. After that, he had to eat some humble pie and realized that he needed to do some work to get back to the top. I read an interview he gave after Worlds and he seemed so ready for the challenge. Can't wait to see him this year!

OK!

vCash
    Tomas Verner. There is no weakness in his skating except consistency. Great jumps, great edges, speed, wonderful musicality, expressivity, charisma, ability to connect with the audience, and - as somebody said- when needed, great sense of humor. He has to get it together eventually- I very much hope he does.
    OK

vCash
    Verner and Oda.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    He won European GOLD in 2008!
    You're right, senior moment. He won European Silver and Gold.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Don't forget Abbott, he's one of the best in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Don't forget Abbott, he's one of the best in the world.
    Abbott is not competing at cup of China

Joubert has been putting a lot of pressure on himself for this GP - it's the only one of the series he hasn't won yet, and he wants to become the first man to win them all. I hope it won't get to him.

Verner definitely needs to redeem himself after last season, especially as Brezina has taken over as Czech number 1 in the eyes of many.

I think they're the two men with most at stake.

As a result, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kozuka win... or Contesti, who is not quite in the same league skating wise, but often manages to make the most of the opportunities his opponents leave him.

OK.

vCash
    Verner has so much more to prove than Joubert. Despite having a European title from 2008, he has yet to medal at Worlds despite having come so close twice in the next quad. He has been inconsistent and was never a real threat because of it. And domestically he was also chased hard by Brezina. He needs redemption.

Kozuka still has a bright future ahead of him and his lack than stellar results last season was overseen because he was the 3rd ranked Japanese man. This season though - he needs to establish himself internationally or Hanyu or Machida might just snatch his World spot.

If Joubert never wins anything ever again he will always have a world title to show for himself.

Contesti is not champion material and has probably peaked internationally. No redemption needed.

OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Maybe you misunderstood what I meant? "little difficulty" meaning "easy" in English.

I agree with your opinion. Verner, Joubert, and Contesti (barring any unforeseen circumstance) are expected to make their nation's 2011 Worlds teams.
    oh my, I'm such ad idiot of course it means easy

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Tomas Verner. One of the great all-around talents in the men's field. He can do it all, and his jumps are beautiful when they are on. He has musicality, humor, and the ability to engage his audience.
    ITA. He's one of those few who have the whole package (in that field I would even be ready to compare him to Takahashi) - if only he lands his jumps.

OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast