Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Back in the 90s, I was able to see quite a few SOI shows and one thing that stood out for me was Torvill and Dean. I had seen them on TV many times but to see them live was special. Jayne looked so tiny in person but they moved across the ice and in each other's arms like butter. So smooth and precise. They were the first ice dance team I followed intensely and I'm so glad I had the chance to see them skate live once. Also cherish the memory of seeing Paul Wylie live and Scott Hamilton. Both of them make you want to watch them endlessly. The showmanship is incredible.

As far as contemporary skaters, I was enthralled by Jeremy Abbott...I love his tv skating but to see him live is very amazing. I agree that he "reaches out" and his fluidity and smoothness is just to die for. I couldn't take my eyes off him and I didn't want it to end. Seeing Davis/White, of course, was a complete thrill and I loved how much better I could see their speed and closeness. Seeing their Bollywood OD was a memory I'll never forget.

Michael Weiss is very charismatic on the ice, his moves just make you catch your breath and then you want to cheer. Sasha Cohen is fierce and you really see that when you see her live. She just tries to own the ice and it's surprising for such a tiny thing.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    No surprise And dont worry - your D-W will take all this gold soon
    PF V-M FD was masterpiece. This dance wasnt so easy for understanding.
    haha thanks for implying I'm a moron it wasn't difficult to understand, because there was nothing to understand about it.
    and hey, I don't want Meryl and Charlie to win anything JUST because Tessa and Scott cannot compete (or decide to retire). I want them to win in a top level, fair fight

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Stephene Lambiel and Lucinda Ruh's spins simply had to be seen in person to be appreciated. No TV screen could ever do justice to their speed and centering!

Joubert and Plushenko's jumps are better appreciated in person too. (Although I still didn't care for many of Plushenko's program post 2003. ) Matt Savoie's edges in person

Dance is always better live than in person, if not just for the edges and speed but getting to see the tacky costumes up close and personal!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I was lucky to see Lucinda Ruh live and her spins were to die for.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Oksana Baiul = amazing in person.
    Also especially MK when young = amazing in person

vCash
    [QUOTE=Tak;2929838]I think Michelle Kwan had a lot more charisma live than on TV. I used to think she was overmarked on the presentation score, until I saw her live and then I understood why her second mark was so high./QUOTE]

Why do you think her charisma/presentation was harder to detect on television?

vCash
    I've only seen a cheesefest live in 2005. Kwan owned the ice, even though she was skating to that Bolero program. I also remember thinking how fearless Kimmie Meissner looked out there, much less awkward than she was on tv. And Johnny Weir's skating was so smooth and fluid.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I was lucky to see Lucinda Ruh live and her spins were to die for.
    And her presentation was quite lovely as well, she was just too tall too be a consistent jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Screenie
    Also especially MK when young = amazing in person
    Yes her programs were more technical when she was younger, but I can't say I ever felt Kwan's presenation lacked even in her "later" years. I remember sitting next to a marine whose girlfriend had drug him to skating at the Atlanta nationals who was embarassed to be in tears after Kwan's free skate. He said a sporting event had never made him so emotional before.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Why do you think her charisma/presentation was harder to detect on television?
    I'm not sure - maybe the same reason that some people just come out really well in photographs and some people dont? [and nothing to do with how they look in person].

Cap/Lan look a whole lot better on TV - she's very charismatic with the camera, not so much with the audience. Live, she just doesnt project the way she does on camera.

vCash
    I have a question somewhat on topic with the thread. I've never been to live skating, just watched it on tv. One thing I have noticed through the years, is that some skaters seem to spend, at least to me, alot of their time focused/projecting on/towards the judges. Shae-Lynn Bourne used to always annoy me in this regard but maybe the tv was making it seem more so than it was. I know the judges give the marks but its the audience paying the money and often times providing the extra energy.

vCash
    Tim Goebel was better in person. I saw him live Worlds 2003. It was a huge surprise. He was especially good in the American in Paris LP, the whole Aw shucks kind of persona he was working came right across. Of course, I had expected nothing of him, so it was a huge shock.

Wing & Lowe were better than I expected, for their really great timing. Yes, they weren't super speedy, but they were quite precise. And I still remember the John Lennon FD they did in Washington when the Iraq War had just been declared. Very brave.

Michelle was so smooth, so deep in the ice, yet so light on the blade, and she just exploeded into her final footwork. The LP, bare as it was, did not seem at all empty live, just built to the end.

Plushenko was odd. If you sat on the judge's side, you thought he was without peer and amazing. If you sat on the other side, you thought Goebel should have won. It was a very judge-centric program he skated. My friends couldn't figure it out until we all discovered we were split in opinion by which side of the arena our seats were located on.

Irina had to be seen live to be thoroughly appreciated, particularly that one foot footwork of hers.

Chan I've seen live several times-yup, very smooth, next up?

Ryan Bradley-no one can rock a crowd, from a small rink to a huge arena, like Ryan Bradley. He can project a character like no one else live.

No one in any discipline was better than Torvill & Dean live, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I remember Mirai's speed really impressing me when I went to '09 Nationals.
    Mirai's skating is pretty impressive, but do you think that her speed looks effortless? (It should for skaters with excellent technique.)
    Last edited by krenseby; 11-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Tim Goebel was better in person. I saw him live Worlds 2003. It was a huge surprise. He was especially good in the American in Paris LP, the whole Aw shucks kind of persona he was working came right across. Of course, I had expected nothing of him, so it was a huge shock.

Wing & Lowe were better than I expected, for their really great timing. Yes, they weren't super speedy, but they were quite precise. And I still remember the John Lennon FD they did in Washington when the Iraq War had just been declared. Very brave.

Michelle was so smooth, so deep in the ice, yet so light on the blade, and she just exploeded into her final footwork. The LP, bare as it was, did not seem at all empty live, just built to the end.

Plushenko was odd. If you sat on the judge's side, you thought he was without peer and amazing. If you sat on the other side, you thought Goebel should have won. It was a very judge-centric program he skated. My friends couldn't figure it out until we all discovered we were split in opinion by which side of the arena our seats were located on.

Irina had to be seen live to be thoroughly appreciated, particularly that one foot footwork of hers.

Chan I've seen live several times-yup, very smooth, next up?

Ryan Bradley-no one can rock a crowd, from a small rink to a huge arena, like Ryan Bradley. He can project a character like no one else live.

No one in any discipline was better than Torvill & Dean live, IMO.
    Boy, Doris, I could have wrote that entire post. Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
    I have a question somewhat on topic with the thread. I've never been to live skating, just watched it on tv. One thing I have noticed through the years, is that some skaters seem to spend, at least to me, alot of their time focused/projecting on/towards the judges. Shae-Lynn Bourne used to always annoy me in this regard but maybe the tv was making it seem more so than it was. I know the judges give the marks but its the audience paying the money and often times providing the extra energy.

Oh yeah -- it was an especially great Russian tradition. Pluschenko, Yagudin -- if you sat on the side with the judges you got a great show, if you sat on the other side you saw their backs. A lot. It could get pretty annoying. It was one of the things Lori Nichol did not do, so skaters she choreographed for didn't seem to end up with the judge-centric kinds of programs.

What you really miss about seeing them live is seeing all of the quirky skaters that don't necessarily make the broadcasts. Laurent Tobel, Lucinda Ruh back before Dick pushed ABC to get her on screen, and the joy of watching the final flight of ice dancers before the FD -- those women have Diva down to an art. All of them.

I hope you get the chance to go to a live competition some time. It's fun!

vCash
    From NHK Trophy 2010: Shibutani/Shibutani and Bazarova/Larionov

Shibutanis' skating was amazing and their twizzles were super fast. Especially, I was impressed by their skating quality. It is worthwhile to see it live. I think, even if I saw only their skating all the day, I would not be bored at all.

Bazarova/Larionov was much more beautiful than TV. They had speed, elegance, and beauty. The audiences loved them very much. I didn't know they are such a great team until I saw them in person.

vCash
    Totally agree. I was there. He was the biggest surprise- that persona really worked for him - and hewuzrobbed!

Also better live than on TV:

Belbin/Agosto. She projects so well to an audience. Live you notice the speed, and that Agosto is very, very good. I always liked Davis/White better on TV, but live- it's Belbin/Agosto no contest.

Joubert- much more charisma live.

Abbott- Maybe because he's so smooth, you don't see the speed on TV, but live he is fast, swoopy, and always right on with the music.

Cizney- much better live- and an excellent show skater. She skates with Joy- that doesn't always come across on TV.

vCash
    I have always liked Stephane Lambiel - but seeing him in person - for me - was a completely different experience from seeing him on TV / computer screen. As much as you can see his artistry in 2D - it is nothing like the 3D version.

Seeing the Siudek's lifts live was much more amazing in person than on screen.

Often when I have watched events live - I have disagreed with wuzrobbeds in several of the disciplines.

But I agree with the posters who say the biggest difference live from on screen is in ice dance as the camera does lie IMO in terms of speed and ice coverage and line. Seeing the OD and the FD at the Olympics last year was incredible.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I am quite excited that I have seen many if not most of the skaters mentioned in this thread live.

vCash
    I had the opportunity to see a lot of skater at worlds in torino and some really show up things I didn't expected:
    Joubert: his jumps are huge! maybe not the musicality other skaters have but he has charisma! you can feel it seeing him live. didn't expected from him!
    Rippon: elegant, beautiful jumps..really beautiful;
    Davis White: I knew that they are good but not THAT good! I think I never breathed during their program! they have such speed and detailed lines that on tv cannot be seen;
    Virtue Moir same as above but I preferred the first one (never thought I would have said that)
    Mao Asada gorgeous program and gorgeous skater! really breathtaking
    Carolina Kostner I cried after her performance (maybe was the atmosphere there..don't know) she is a skater you can fully appreciate live...you loose a lot of her general skills on tv
    Miki Ando It was a discovery for me!

But some of other skater left me disappointed:
    Yuna she is one of the best skaters out there but I've never thought she should have such a margin between the other and what I've seen in torino didn't make me change my mind. she skated badly but even without those mistake she didn't get me as the others...mah..
    Chan...never liked him so much...beautiful skating qualities but as yuna I don't see such a difference with others..
    Laura Lepisto...really...I don't get her on tv and I don't get her live...she has a lot of qualities and had a beautiful program last year (forgetting her jumps) but the components she gets are a mistery to me...

vCash
    Joannie Rochette. She looks slow and heavy to me on tv, but live, she looks way better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Joannie Rochette. She looks slow and heavy to me on tv, but live, she looks way better.
    It's funny I 've never seen her as slow and heavy, but now that you mention it, she doesn't seem as light on the ice as Yuna and Mao.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast