Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    '09 Worlds was such a blur. I sat there for all the competition and don't remember any of it. Or at least differences between TV and live skating - only that it was hard to see jumps/spins in corners. I do remember thinking Davis and White were worthy of gold by a longshot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    2 reasons people look larger on TV. 1 the lens has a curve to get more stuff into the frame. Kind of a fish eye effect. The other is with HD when you use standard def the picture is stretched to fit the screen. If you put your settings on to picture box (on your HD sets). Most TV sets are set to standard.
    I also think a lot of times you have skaters who have muscle definition primarily because they are very thin, and are about average or a little below average height but with long limbs, so combine that with the thinness, muscle definition, 3 inch height boost provided by skates, and extra weight put on by the camera and all of a sudden these petite figure skaters look like pro volleyball or tennis players (tall and muscular, 5'4" and 110 pounds becomes 5'9" and 140 pounds).

I'll say I was shocked when I saw Carolina Kostner in person, because on ice she looks like, well, an amazon. In person she's maybe 5'6" or 5'7" with a slight build, not an amazon by any means, her being a little taller than average wasn't even that noticible because her thinness made her seem smaller.

vCash
    I've had the pleasure of seeing Shen/Zhao live (notably at 2003 Worlds) but I have to say that Pang/Tong's twists and throws are even more spectacular than theirs.

Carolina Kostner is fast, fast, fast. I agree that Miki Ando is much smoother in person, and is quite fast.

Evgeny Plushenko and Rachael Flatt have never done anything for me - on TV or in person.

If you saw Inoue/Baldwin during practice at Nationals in 2003, you'd think they were world medalists. Secure, confident, couldn't put a foot wrong.
    Last edited by all_empty; 11-03-2010 at 06:19 AM.

vCash
    Davis/White - you really see their preciseness well in person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Arggh, someday i will see them live! That is my vow! LOL!

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    '09 Worlds was such a blur. I sat there for all the competition and don't remember any of it. Or at least differences between TV and live skating - only that it was hard to see jumps/spins in corners. I do remember thinking Davis and White were worthy of gold by a longshot.
    Davis/White being robbed of a World medal is my most vivid memory from that Worlds too. I remember being because I thought they far and away had the best FD, yet, no medal. The mens' event was a big let-down, only to be followed by Vancouver, which was even more of a let-down with the men just giving the titles away to Lysacek both times. The ladies' podium was lovely, but the huge difference in points between Kim and the rest of the field made the event quite anticlimactic! Aside from Savchenko/Szolkowy, pairs was pretty forgettable too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Davis/White being robbed of a World medal is my most vivid memory from that Worlds too. I remember being because I thought they far and away had the best FD, yet, no medal.
    I agree that in LA Meryl/Charlie had the best FD amongst the top couples. But they were not on par with other top couples in the CD and had some mistakes in the OD, plus they were still US' #2 couple in the eyes of the judges at that event.

I think it was one of the worst competitions in ice dancing I can remember. Tessa and Scott's skating was very cautious as Tessa was still recovering from her surgery, Shabalin was struggling with an ongoin knee injury and Belbin/Agosto had to skate to the crap Linichuk gave to them. If I was the judge at those Worlds, I wouldn't award the gold medal to anyone.
    Last edited by IneZR; 11-03-2010 at 04:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IneZR View Post
    I agree that in LA Meryl/Charlie had the best FD amongst the top couples. But they were not on par with other top couples in the CD and had some mistakes in the OD, plus they were still US' #2 couple in the eyes of the judges at that event.

I think it was one of the worst competition in ice dancing I can remember. Tessa and Scott's skating was very cautious as Tessa was still recovering from her surgery, Shabalin was struggling with an ongoin knee injury and Belbin/Agosto had to skate to the crap Linichuk gave to them. If I was the judge at those Worlds, I wouldn't award the gold medal to anyone.
    O, now Tessa let D-W to take all gold in the World - dont worry
    I think V-M 2009 FD was best in all 4 years of this Olympic cycle - most modern, most innovated and unusual and this dance was robbed i think, because SC said - we hope they will retern to the romantic piece for the OG.

As for "live" impression from someone skating, i think one of the best is Lambiel - especially his "Flamenco". It loo so much better "live", then on TV
    Patric Chan skating skills is really remarkable "live" - his edges look impressive, his moves,
    Takahashi emotions and drive is so greate! It was happinest to watch his LP at 2010 WCh "live", when i want to stand on my feets in the middle of this program
    Joubert look more powerfull "live'
    Ksenia Makarova - really ice queen on ice "live"
    Amodio - he is so energetic
    Crone Porie look much better "live" then on TV
    And Scott Moir is really a whole with ice. His moves and face expression was so natural in Mahler.
    Last edited by pani; 11-03-2010 at 03:59 PM.

vCash
    I remember Mirai's speed really impressing me when I went to '09 Nationals. Unfortunately, I remember also not being impressed with the other top ladies at the event. Rachel seemed really slowed during the LP as did Caroline. It was even more jarring in person than on TV.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I think V-M 2009 FD was best in all 4 years of this Olympic cycle - most modern, most innovated and unusual and this dance was robbed i think, because SC said - we hope they will retern to the romantic piece for the OG.
    ITA. Pink Floyd was an amazing routine. Too bad it was never skated to it's full potential.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    ITA, that's what I found too. The sharpness in their skating is much more apparent live. And their speed is much more obvious live too - oftentimes skaters seem slower to me when I see them live than on tv, but I was actually surprised by how fast D/W are, especially at midline step sequences.

Jeremy's fluid quality is even better live than on tv, and Sasha Cohen's lovely positions really come across from the audience's perspective.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Jeremy Abbott, hands down. His basic skating skills, and the way he moves his body to embrace the entire arena, must be seen live to appreciate. Seeing him live from a "360" perspective makes you appreciate how he reaches out to everyone like a magician or sorcerer - a 2-dimensional TV can't quite capture this.

Agree with another poster re: Surya Bonaly. While her overall skating was rather clunky, you can just feel the power and physicality just ooze out of her in person. She's actually turned this into one of her performing strengths too and has blossomed as a show skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. It wasn't even a dance, just a bunch of elements put together. The lifts were the best I think I've seen from V/M, but it just didn't work as a whole. Meryl and Charlie were soooo robbed then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Jeremy Abbott, hands down. His basic skating skills, and the way he moves his body to embrace the entire arena, must be seen live to appreciate. Seeing him live from a "360" perspective makes you appreciate how he reaches out to everyone like a magician or sorcerer - a 2-dimensional TV can't quite capture this.
    What a great compliment!
    I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Jeremy skate "live".
    I hope to, soon.

Live in Guardian Angel
    vCash
    Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Isler were very impressive live! Their tricks were better in person than on TV!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. It wasn't even a dance, just a bunch of elements put together. The lifts were the best I think I've seen from V/M, but it just didn't work as a whole. Meryl and Charlie were soooo robbed then.
    ITA - with both of your points - and you didnt have to see it live to get this impression. I thought the same thing watching it on TV.

I'd like to know what mistakes D/W made in the OD. Because on TV I only saw one - Charlie lost his balance slightly on the second twizzle. V/M and D/S made numerous obvious mistakes in the OD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    When I saw Kwan at 1998 Worlds she blew me away. Her SP was amazing. I totally got her.
    I was there too! What was most amazing about Kwan at that competition was her jumps had an incredible delay in the first rotation...and you knew she was going to land every jump after the first rotation. I can't explain it. The SP was absolutely magical.

I'll also add G&G to the list. During their reign they skated the fastest of all other couples and had the absolute cleanest edges. You never heard their blades. Sergei flew down the ice on lifts...they kept the same speed going in/out of throws and the 3 twist...their spins were fast. No one else in the competition skated like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I actually would like to see Patrick live one day. It does sound like he'd be amazing to see.
    everytime I see him i think how much more I appreciate him live- it is WELL worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post

Agree with many on Joubert. He's one of the most charismatic skaters live.
    jobert and stephane were the two I was most impressed with live ( when I saw them at the olympics practices- even in practice i thought they were so much better love ( prior to brian;s epic meltdown that is)

Quote Originally Posted by IneZR View Post
    ITA. Pink Floyd was an amazing routine. Too bad it was never skated to it's full potential.
    when I saw it (twice) i thought it had such great potential but they were just not physically or emotionally able to do it so- too bad i LOVED that program i think it chnaged the sport of ice dance

this ws the answer on ET canada tonight- waht thes the music tessa and soctt skated to in 2009 ( i still cant beleive they made current event trivia with a non olympic program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    What a great compliment!
    I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Jeremy skate "live".
    I hope to, soon.
    Me too. I really hope to see him live before he retires.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    No surprise And dont worry - your D-W will take all this gold soon
    PF V-M FD was masterpiece. This dance wasnt so easy for understanding.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast