Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Definitely Plushenko. Not that I ever thought he looked bad on TV, but I saw him practice at the 2003 worlds, and I was really blown away by the speed and power of his skating relative to his competitors. (And that speed isn't limited to the ice; the man walks faster than I can run.)

Ice dance in general bored me silly until I started going to Skate America and watching practices, and now I'm hooked. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be more interested in ice dance than in the ladiezzz, and yet here we are.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Surprisingly Flatt was pretty impressive. I wish I could've seen more "on" Kostner because the one time I saw her skate, it was one of her epic disasters.
    Yuna was electrifying, and another surprise, Ando was great--but I didn't like the same skate when I saw it on youtube.

Agree with many on Joubert. He's one of the most charismatic skaters live.

vCash
    I think it is always better to see them live. TV, although it captures the facial expressions, and can focus on certain aspects (like the feet) in a moment, can't give you the whole picture.........the speed and presence can't translate over tv.

One person who really surprised me live was Irina. She always looked bulky on tv.......not bulky! Tiny tiny....and could she fly!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Inoue/Baldwin - at the live competitions I saw them at, they were *clearly* world class. Even if they blew their jumps or what have you, it was their overall skating that put them at that level. Very fast, very powerful, mature and polished - clearly, at the time, far superior to other US pairs teams in terms of their overall "package". IMO, that doesn't come across for them on tv, but live, it really did.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    The difference is always huge, regardless of the skater. The first time I saw skating live, I literally couldn't breathe. The fact that it was a show with some of my favorourite skaters ever didn't help at all

However, I do agree in some skaters' cases the difference is even bigger than normally. I agree about Joubert - not only is he much more charismatic and dynamic, but also he looks way slimmer (and well, therefore hotter ) live than on TV. And his skating looks easier and smoother. I especially love watching him at trainings, when he's wearing simple black clothes. His competition costumes really don't do justice to him at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I actually would like to see Patrick live one day. It does sound like he'd be amazing to see.
    His footwork and flow across the ice, yes. His jumps, not so much.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    People kept telling me that I'd LOVE Plushenko once I saw him live. So I saw him live, and I still don't love him.

But I will say that Rachel Flatt comes across very very boring on TV and is really much more impressive in person.

The first time I saw Suguri or Kostner in person, I was shocked by their speed.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Tomas Verner. Not only is he a charismatic performer but he has really good edge quality and his jumps are huge. Especially his 4t - it's an absolute monster .

Miki Ando. She is really fast and slender in person and her jumps are really impressive. She also seems more expressive than on TV.

vCash
    Different question: why DOES the TV camera chunk up so many skaters? I'd agree that with almost all of the skaters, when you see them live they aren't nearly as thick as they often appeared on TV. Irina Slutskaya and Sarah Hughes both turned out to be quite slim and even relatively fine boned up close, but both look much larger on TV. (Phaneuf still looked very big in the shoulders and head in person, but she's one of the few exceptions.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Different question: why DOES the TV camera chunk up so many skaters? I'd agree that with almost all of the skaters, when you see them live they aren't nearly as thick as they often appeared on TV. Irina Slutskaya and Sarah Hughes both turned out to be quite slim and even relatively fine boned up close, but both look much larger on TV. (Phaneuf still looked very big in the shoulders and head in person, but she's one of the few exceptions.)
    Well they do say TV adds ten pounds (or is it twenty?)
    I think there are qualities that are appreciated differently on TV and live. Skaters who have great extensions and positions are better shown on TV unless you sit in the front row of the rink.

vCash
    There is live, and then there is live in practice sessions. Some skaters show fantastic skating skills in practice but become tentative in competition, which then translates into a muted impression on TV.

Alissa Czisny and Yannick Ponsero are two recent examples I can think of. I would rather watch them in practice all day and get the best of their skating, then just skip their competition altogether.

vCash
    The names that come to mind include Michelle Kwan and Shen and Zhao

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Ahhh, forgot about S&Z. I'd heard from folks how huge their throws were. It wasn't until I saw them live that I went . They are gargantuan!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Dance practises are always good value, not just for what goes on the ice but what goes on off the ice as well.

I saw Skary Babs at 98 Worlds making booby gestures about a particularly big breasted Russian ice dancer whilst the particular ice dancer's back was turned as she was signing autographs.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    2 reasons people look larger on TV. 1 the lens has a curve to get more stuff into the frame. Kind of a fish eye effect. The other is with HD when you use standard def the picture is stretched to fit the screen. If you put your settings on to picture box (on your HD sets). Most TV sets are set to standard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Dance practises are always good value, not just for what goes on the ice but what goes on off the ice as well.

I saw Skary Babs at 98 Worlds making booby gestures about a particularly big breasted Russian ice dancer whilst the particular ice dancer's back was turned as she was signing autographs.
    That's the kind of gem I don't get to see for missing practice sessions

vCash
    I don't remember seeing that for myself, but I do remember Fusar Poli changing costumes above the waist on the ice in the middle of a (CD/OD?) practice. She did it with her chest right up by the judges' stand so no one would get a clear view. But even so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Never seen MK live but as fab as Shen/Zhao are on TV, they are stunning live. So glad I got to see them compete last year. Shen in particular is electric when she lands jumps.

vCash
    Anna Semmenovich? She's the only "stacked" ice dancer I can remember from around that era. (And whatever kind of support system she used was pretty damn amazing. The boobs didn't move one bit. Ever.)

having a nice day
    vCash
    Sigh, I haven't seen any live skating in so long you'll have to walk down memory lane with me...

Plushenko, for sure. Todd Eldredge. Michelle Kwan. Dorothy Hamill. But mostly who I think of is Alexander Abt. Watching him make two simple strokes and voila! he was at the other end of the rink. Wow. Just wow. WOW!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast