Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Some of the skaters that impressed me so much in person (mostly in terms of their speed!) were Oksana Baiul, Todd Eldredge, G&G, and B&S.

Two other skaters that I thought were amazing live, not necessarily in terms of speed, but in their ability to reach the audience with their performances, were Michelle Kwan and Dorothy Hamill.

Ryan B.: Very entertaining to watch...Charisma with a capital C.

I have never seen Patrick compete live, but have seen him practice a handful of times when he was in Orlando, and he impressed me as well in terms of his overall skating quality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    I have never seen Patrick compete live, but have seen him practice a handful of times when he was in Orlando, and he impressed me as well in terms of his overall skating quality.

The other thing about him is he brings his speed and deep edges from practice into competition consistently. I noticed this particularly at 4CC a couple years ago where so many of the men looked incredible in practice but didn't bring the same speed and attack and depth of edge into the competition.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 11-08-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: double word

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    The other thing about him is he brings his his speed and deep edges from practice into competition consistently. I noticed this particularly at 4CC a couple years ago where so many of the men looked incredible in practice but didn't bring the same speed and attack and depth of edge into the competition.
    I agree to what you said here. He has good speed, deep edges and yet seamless smooth at the same time. His skating skills are as good as anything I've seen.

vCash
    Also want to give a mention to Elena Liashenko; she looks more dynamic and about 153534 times faster live than on TV.

vCash
    The first international skating event for me was Finlandia Trophy 2008... I remember thinking that Susanna Pöykiö was such a boooooooooring skater (and slow) but then she skated there with such charisma and smoothness. And Suzuki seems to have a lot more personality live.

But the one that really impressed me there with her speed was Laura. Goodness it looked like she was skating twice as fast as the rest of the field on the warmup.. And last year it looked the same. The fluidity was amazing too, there wasn't a break between the music started and ended.

Alena also seems a bit more refined live. I mean, she actually isn't slow and has edges which I though wasn't the case.

Oh and Kiira made sense to me at the Nationals 2008 (with the comeback skate). She has such a personality out there. But unfortunately she seems to lose some of it if she doesnt get the jumps done.

And the ones I feel get punished brutally by TV cameras are the Kerrs. I went to see the ice dance last year with my sister who doesn't really like skating (she was forced to come because I was very ill and faint and refused to let me go alone ) AND ACTUALLY CRIED after them as did I.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345