Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

Any Kimmie news?

I can't find any recent articles other than she was the first to vote in her town. The comments from locals seem to be resentful. Other than that, is she competing this season? Still working at the physical therapist office?

vCash
    She's not competing. I don't know about the physical therapist office, but she is attending school full-time at the University of Delaware.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Meissner skated in the Michael Weiss Foundation show last weekend -- here's the thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74497

Here's her Oct. 13th tweet confirming that she is not competing this season: http://twitter.com/kimmiemeissner/status/27252204042
    unfortunately I am not competing this year. I wish I was, but I felt like my heart wasn't in it, so I'm in school instead right now

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Interesting. Seems like she's taking the unofficial retirement route that Michelle and the Hughes girls took.

vCash
    Kind of funny that the article implies and at least one commenter seems to think that she won the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I can't find any recent articles other than she was the first to vote in her town. The comments from locals seem to be resentful. Other than that, is she competing this season? Still working at the physical therapist office?
    I don't think that Kimmie ever got the credit that she deserved. The point is that she actually won the world title- something very few people can say they did.

vCash
    Interesting. Seems like she's taking the unofficial retirement route that Michelle and the Hughes girls took.
    Not really. They never said "my heart is not in it".

I also agree with the poster who said Kimmie did not get enough credit for her accomplishments. I felt so bad for her during the 2008 season when she was bashed to no end for losing one of the three US spots.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I felt so bad for her during the 2008 season when she was bashed to no end for losing one of the three US spots.
    I am so sick of the 3 spots nonsense. Meissner and Czisny should suffer for that for the rest of their lives in the minds of some.

vCash
    The comments from locals seem to be resentful.
    I think most of the resentment there is political and nothing to do with Kimmie. There will always be some a-hole anywhere. I think about 99.9% of Harford County (and MD) residents think Kimmie is...what's the best word....awesome.

Based on her tweets, it does seem like Kimmie is still working at the PT office a couple days a week. She is concentrating on school this year, so she is not competing and also wanted to keep her show commitments to a minimum. I'm not sure how much longer she has to graduate, but I hope that we'll see her in more shows and maybe even SOI at some point. She is still the most recent American woman to medal (win) at Worlds.

vCash
    I felt so bad for her during the 2008 season when she was bashed to no end for losing one of the three US spots.
    She was? Why? Getting spots is a "team effort" that requires two skaters. I don't see how Kimmie could be blamed for that. There were three US skaters there with a chance to earn three spots, and Kimmie finished the highest of the US ladies. Not her fault the total didn't add to 13, and in my opinion, not a big deal. It's not like we've really deserved 3 spots after that anyway. I don't see the point in blaming the skaters. It's an individual sport, and I doubt they put much focus on how many spots the US has as long as they have one of them!

vCash
    I'm thinking we've seen the last of Kimmie. I was never a fan of her skating per se, but I think it's sad the way her career petered out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    She was? Why? Getting spots is a "team effort" that requires two skaters. I don't see how Kimmie could be blamed for that. There were three US skaters there with a chance to earn three spots, and Kimmie finished the highest of the US ladies.
    I don't think there is any accepted mathematics to determine who succeeded and who failed in an attempt to earn 3 spots. The criteria I use is that a skater succeeds if 3 spots can be achieved by somebody placing below her. A skater fails if 3 spots can only be achieved by somebody placing above her.

So when Rachael finished 5th, somebody placing below her could have restored the 3rd spot. Therefore Rachael succeeded. When Kimmie finished 7th, nobody finishing below her could have restored the 3rd spot. That would have required a 6th place finish. Therefore Kimmie failed.

Obviously if the 3rd spot is restored, then both skaters succeeded.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    I think the team of Nagasu and Flatt also "failed" to secure 3 ladies spots at last Worlds.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I think the team of Nagasu and Flatt also "failed" to secure 3 ladies spots at last Worlds.
    Yeah, and interestingly enough, both have gotten off easy from the lynch mob compared to Czisny and Meissner. I guess the witch hunters are forgiving them because it was an Olympic year and they were tired coming off Vancouver just a month earlier?

vCash
    It's a function of that "missing" 3rd spot not being as vivid yet, (wait 'til January!!) plus people recognizing that competing a month after the Olymipcs is tough.

And I think Mirai is about 1 or 2 more FS meltdowns away from some serious online bashing.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I guess the witch hunters are forgiving them because it was an Olympic year and they were tired coming off Vancouver just a month earlier?
    And all the other girls were fresh as the morning dew.

vCash
    I also agree with the poster who said Kimmie did not get enough credit for her accomplishments. I felt so bad for her during the 2008 season when she was bashed to no end for losing one of the three US spots.
    I don't know why people keep lamenting that she didn't get enough credit. Living in her hometown/home state, I've found she's had plenty of exposure and recognition over here. The simple fact is this: she wasn't around long enough to be remembered on a mass basis. Injuries took her out of the running in 2009 and caused her to miss the Olympic season, the season where everyone pays attention. Still, not since Sokolova have I seen such a quick fall from the top. Maybe the same thing is happening to Mao Asada right now, though.

The 2008 team took a little heat, yes- but I don't remember a particular skater being singled out...the only time that happened is when Czisny took a serious beating from fans for blowing the SP at 2009 Worlds. And this year, even though Nagasu was the one that blew the opportunity, people have tended to be more supportive and encouraging towards her. How's that for a flip-flop?

ETA: IIRC, in 2008- Wagner was the one that really tanked. Bebe surprised people by cracking the top 10, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I'm thinking we've seen the last of Kimmie. I was never a fan of her skating per se, but I think it's sad the way her career petered out.
    I agree. I was hoping she'd come back. But after the kapoffel (sp?) with her missing regionals last year, I just had a bad feeling.

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    I agree. I was hoping she'd come back. But after the kapoffel (sp?) with her missing regionals last year, I just had a bad feeling.
    maybe it's just me, but I am still hoping against hope that she will come back *delusional probably*

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Kimmie will be skating at the Kaleidoscope show on December 8th (Will be broadcasted December 19th on Fox at 4:30 pm) Others on the show include Scotty, Kurt, Hamill, Weir, Sasha, Plushy, Joannie and Surya:

http://www.kaleidoscope.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast