vCash

Caroline Zhang's SP

I know there has been a lot of talk about Caroline Zhang with her new coach, jumping technique, growth spurt... and I was a really big fan of hers (and Mirai's!) and I'm still rooting for her, but can someone explain to me why her scores were so low for her SP at NHK? Everything seems fine at this specific skate: good jumps, and good speed (for once), and ok spins and spirals
    The only mistake I saw was a spiral that she didnt hold long enough but that shouldnt matter under the new COP.

Your thoughts or just detailed criticism?

Here's a video if you haven't seen it http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjE2NzE4NDE2.html
    the one on youtube was taken down

vCash
    In terms of base mark, her combo spin was only called at level 1 so she lost some points there.

In terms of her GOE, her jumps have yet to improve to a level to earn positive GOEs, especially her 2axel. But as a result on reworking her jump technique, she might have spent less time on her spins - they have become slower at NHK and didn't get the higher GOE she usually got for them (except for the layback).

In terms of PCS, her basics and speed still couldn't compare to those skaters who got higher PCS than her, namely Kostner, Asada, Korpi, Murakami, Wagner, Flatt and Elene G. She was still quite slow and blank-faced IMO.

On an overall scale, because jump values have changed over the season and there is now one element less, SP scores are supposed to be lower compared to last year.

vCash
    I agree with Marco.
    I've been impressed by her improvements on the mulekick. But her 2Axel is still very bad. Her edges and speed are weak for an elite skater. I noticed that her spins are slower than before.

vCash
    It's a nice program. I'd like it if her layback was in the middle of the rink instead of at the end. It'd be easier and more enjoyable to watch it.

I would agree if she fixes the 2a she'll get a bigger score. She's already fixed so much so can't wait to see what she does this week.