Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    what do you mean? he won the gold medal in vancouver.
    Evan will be disappointed to learn that. I think you're remembering Worlds.

I liked the men's competition much better at NHK than at Skate Canada. I thought all three medalists were great for the beginning of the season. But, then again, I usually enjoy all three of them.

Happy to have Terry back, but I wish they'd limit Weiss to the men and leave it as just Tara and Terry for the women like they have it Terry and Mike for the men. The three of them together didn't work as well for me as just Terry and Tara did in the other broadcasts.

vCash
    Dai is a much more mature skater than Patrick. His expression is much more varied. Patrick has amazing skating skills. They both are outstanding in attack and commitment to movement. I would hope Dai beats Patrick, if only to encourage Patrick to keep improving on the parts of his skating that are still a bit lacking. However, my dearest wish is that Jeremy pulls out all the stops, the stars align, and he beats them both!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Evan will be disappointed to learn that. I think you're remembering Worlds.
    nope, I know what I saw in Vancouver and Dai is the winner
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Chan has amazing technique but IMO there is a disconnect betw him and the program/music. They are just moves that Lori gave him. Dai interprets his music on a completely different level than Chan. And sadly, I dont see Patrick growing with Lori and jump harness girl as his coaches.
    Yes, agree with this completely.

vCash

vCash
    I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nashvilledancer View Post
    Dai is a much more mature skater than Patrick. His expression is much more varied. Patrick has amazing skating skills. They both are outstanding in attack and commitment to movement. I would hope Dai beats Patrick, if only to encourage Patrick to keep improving on the parts of his skating that are still a bit lacking. However, my dearest wish is that Jeremy pulls out all the stops, the stars align, and he beats them both!
    ITA. IMO, Dai and Jeremy are musical, but in different ways. I think they're both wonderful (and I love Patrick's skating skills), but I would love to see Jeremy pull it all together when it counts the most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    LOL, spandex. A little color? Actually, I've never seen the movie, is dictating the costume?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/

Life is Beautiful starred Roberto Benigni. Set in the 1940s in Italy. The first part of the movie covers the courtship of him and his future wife; second part of the movie sees them and their son to a Nazi work camp. The Benigni character is sweetly funny and imaginative and comes up with all kinds of games to help his son survive the work camp and his wife to endure it.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/

The Benigni character is sweetly funny and imaginative and comes up with all kinds of games to help his son survive the work camp and his wife to endure it.
    Thanks for the recap, I don't know why I've never rented "Life is Beautiful." Don't get me wrong, I love Jeremy and his skating, and I'm sure by Nationals his jumps will be together and he'll probably open with a quad. I just think the program needs a bit more flair, overall. Like I said earlier, I'd hate to see it overlooked in, say, the final flight at Worlds. Given the description of the movie above, there might be room for a few "lighter" moments, nothing heavy or out-of-character.

JMO, I'm hardly suggesting Jeremy try to be Dai, or, heaven forbid, Amodio.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I think Dai was the happiest person on the podium with Evan was a close second.

That said, I am loving the season so far. I could watch Chan stroke for hours - no jumps - just stroke. He's beautiful. Jeremy's programs draw me in and keep me there. Then there's Dai. I do so look forward to what he comes up with each season. It was so good to see that secure quad back.

vCash
    Weighing in a little late, but I want to put Rachael on Dancing with the Stars until she learns to express emotion -- not just the "I have to have an emotion now! Okay, now I can turn it off. Okay, now I have to turn it back on" thing she's got going on.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I saw the NBC telecast for NHK. It's been so long since I watched FS on TV! I think the last time it was in Feb.2010 (Olympics). That alone made my day.

The mens competition was very good, considering that this was the first one of the season for most skaters. Loved Amodio's performance. I hope he can keep up that performance level. Abbott and Takahashi were also very good (except for Dai's fall). Artistically these two are at a whole another level compared to most other skaters. I also enjoyed the young Japanese Hanryu and Shawn Sawyer (despite his struggles with the jumps).

Ladies competition was tame, by comparison. I actually enjoyed Carolina's performance this time, despite the limited jumps content and some mistakes on jumps. She has really matured as a skater. Still, I felt that Rachael should have probably won. Carolina did not have the 3lutz and 3flip due to injury, and she did struggle with some of the easier jumps too. Hers was the most enjoyable program to watch, but I am not sure it was worthy of the gold. I don't know how she can get through this season with that knee injury. At other competitions she will be competing against skaters who land the jumps and have the presentation too.

There was no contest jumpwise between Rachael and the rest of the field, unless there were downgrades on some of her jumps (I have not seen the protocols yet). Murakami was good for her first senior level competition. It was tough watching Mao struggle so much. I hope the switch to Mr.Sato as her coach will work out in the long run. Right now it does not seem to be working.

I wish they had shown at least the top 2 pairs. In dance they showed Davis & White because they are American, I think. I want to watch the top skaters regardless of their nationality. When will NBC learn what the audience wants?

Tara's commentating was a pleasant surprise. The commentators were actually talking about what was going on on the ice, instead of some irrelevant off ice stuff that some other commentators say (exception: Weiss talking about himself at one time instead of what he was watching). It was refreshing considering how Dick Button either praises a skater to the sky or slams him/her completely.

vCash
    I think it was Lipinski who made the good point that Flatt would be better working on speed and extension rather than choreography to get people into her programs more.

vCash
    I accidentally deleted this from my DVR box. Would anyone be able to make a copy of this NBC broadcast of the NHK from last Sunday (Oct. 31)? It would be much appreciated! Of course, I'll pay for costs, etc.

Thanks so much!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345