Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Help on quick rocker

    I am working on the quick rocker sequence in Novice MIF and I'm having trouble. If you can see the following photo this is what my tracing looks like. My exit lobe on the rocker is flat and non-existant and then when I get to the 2nd rocker in the sequence, I have no speed and am doing it at practically a standstill. I try to go into it with more speed but it's almost like I'm getting twisted and can't get speed for progressing forward.

    I do not have money right now to pay for a coach and was looking online for some videos showing this move but I can only find this one and she does it so fast I can't really break down the body movements. I have been practicing just the rocker on a figure 8 pattern but it falls apart when I do it quickly on the sequence.

    If anybody knows of any videos or can give me some tips I'd appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I haven't learned the new Novice moves yet, but the old version had these same quick rockers as an end pattern. The trick for me was to keep the leading shoulder pulled back and under control, so that my chest continued to face outside the circle at all times, even on the rocker exit and crossover. When done as an end pattern, this meant my face and chest would be facing the boards at the end of the rink at all times and my right shoulder would be pulled back if I was doing the clockwise rockers on the left foot (left shoulder pulled back when doing CCW rockers on right foot). I hope that helps!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm confused — what rocker pattern are you talking about? There is no second rocker in the quick rocker pattern. It's a BI rocker with a mohawk/cross front, repeat.

    The straight-line sequence of rocker-3-rocker has been removed from Novice. Double rockers don't show up until Junior.

    I'd look at the video but I'm blocked from YouTube at work.

  4. #4
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,739
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't answer your question, but I just want to say that your drawing is excellent!
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    4,403
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1080
    I have no idea what's happeneing in the first part of that video- all happens to fast but I'm also working on the quick rocker choctaw sequence in the second part. Its actually is one of the few field moves which come naturally to me. Usually when I'm stuggling to get control of turns I have to think about the rise and fall of the knee and focus on turning on the right part of the blade. Only when I've got that sorted to I add speed. In this case on the rocker you should be turning over your heel. Make sure you have a deep knee bend, rise up for the turn and then bend agin on the forward inside.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Doubletoe you may have a point there, I may be twisting my body around too much. I'll try to keep my arms pulled toward the wall.

    CTT, so your knee is supposed to be going up and down? Whenever I see people doing it, it looks like they're doing it with completely straight legs!

    vesperholly, I meant the 2nd rocker is when I do the repeat.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    4,403
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1080
    Yeah you will definately need to bend your knees! Of course in time it will get easier and you'll be able to do them without thinking but emphasising knee bends will make it smoother until you get the hang off it.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Doubletoe you may have a point there, I may be twisting my body around too much. I'll try to keep my arms pulled toward the wall.

    CTT, so your knee is supposed to be going up and down? Whenever I see people doing it, it looks like they're doing it with completely straight legs!

    vesperholly, I meant the 2nd rocker is when I do the repeat.
    Yes, on this move (which is actually rocker-BI3-chocktaw, BI3-chocktaw...), you need to keep your leading shoulder pulled back as strongly as possible so that your shoulders stay aligned right on top of the circle you are skating on, even as your hips may swivel a little (I imagine my upper body is like a crab, traveling sideways). And you need a lot of knee bend and *ankle* bend for sure!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Yes, on this move (which is actually rocker-BI3-chocktaw, BI3-chocktaw...)
    Wait, what? There's no BI3 in this pattern. It's BI rocker-choctaw-cross front.

    OK, I can see the video now! I'm so jealous you guys get to compress those patterns into one now. It probably wouldn't have taken me 4 years to pass Novice with that pattern!

    ITA with the above advice, your free-side shoulder needs to be pulled back extremely tight. You should feel a pinch in your shoulder blade. But keep your head facing straight, don't look back. If you pull yourself around too much, you will do a 3-turn and the move will get all spinny instead of a large semi-circle.

    Try to slow it down a bit. The biggest error I see is trying to go through the turns at light speed, which makes it really difficult to do a true rocker. How is your slow rocker-choctaw pattern?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Wait, what? There's no BI3 in this pattern. It's BI rocker-choctaw-cross front.

    OK, I can see the video now! I'm so jealous you guys get to compress those patterns into one now. It probably wouldn't have taken me 4 years to pass Novice with that pattern!

    ITA with the above advice, your free-side shoulder needs to be pulled back extremely tight. You should feel a pinch in your shoulder blade. But keep your head facing straight, don't look back. If you pull yourself around too much, you will do a 3-turn and the move will get all spinny instead of a large semi-circle.

    Try to slow it down a bit. The biggest error I see is trying to go through the turns at light speed, which makes it really difficult to do a true rocker. How is your slow rocker-choctaw pattern?
    Oops, sorry about that! I can do it, I just can't tell you what I'm doing, LOL! Kind of a "duh" that those are rockers, not BI3's, eh?
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 10-16-2010 at 01:23 AM.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I tried Doubletoe's suggestion of keeping my chest turned towards the wall and this fixed like 90% of my problems. Previously, I was facing forward, not to the wall, and just twisting my arms and I think that's where I went wrong. I'm still skidding on my heel a bit because I don't have the rhythm of rocking back on the heel, turning, then rocking back off the heel. It is difficult though because I'm not used to pulling my arms back so far so it's really pinching my back muscles.

    Vesperholly, I am not going fast yet, still going very slow. I just started working on these. I am mostly working on them on a straight line - not even on the circle yet. I have been working on one rocker on the figure 8 pattern as well.

    Something else that I noticed helped me because I was doing them straight down the glass and looking at my reflection. If you keep your skating side aligned straight over the skate, it helps. I think I was leaning forward before as well which was throwing off my alignment. Keeping over the skating side seemed to reduce the skid.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I tried Doubletoe's suggestion of keeping my chest turned towards the wall and this fixed like 90% of my problems. Previously, I was facing forward, not to the wall, and just twisting my arms and I think that's where I went wrong. I'm still skidding on my heel a bit because I don't have the rhythm of rocking back on the heel, turning, then rocking back off the heel. It is difficult though because I'm not used to pulling my arms back so far so it's really pinching my back muscles.

    Vesperholly, I am not going fast yet, still going very slow. I just started working on these. I am mostly working on them on a straight line - not even on the circle yet. I have been working on one rocker on the figure 8 pattern as well.

    Something else that I noticed helped me because I was doing them straight down the glass and looking at my reflection. If you keep your skating side aligned straight over the skate, it helps. I think I was leaning forward before as well which was throwing off my alignment. Keeping over the skating side seemed to reduce the skid.
    Yes, you definitely want to keep your back pressed against the big imaginary circle you are on. Focusing on ankle bend will help you press into the ice and squeeze out those edges and chocktaw pushes with less skidding. Sounds like you're making great progress, though!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh good I'll try ankle bend next time, thanks! Progressing but very slow.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,132
    vCash
    699
    Rep Power
    17018
    You also might try crossing your free leg in front of the employed foot/leg (just slightly) before doing the turn. Then do an easy turn, no pulling.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    You also might try crossing your free leg in front of the employed foot/leg (just slightly) before doing the turn. Then do an easy turn, no pulling.
    Trying to envision how to do this. I'll give it a whirl.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    OK, inspired by this thread, I tried that pattern this morning for the first time in quite awhile (I did it as an end pattern, as it was in the previous Novice MIF) . I found that when it worked the best was when I focused on really holding that back inside edge after the crossover. Holding that edge while pulling the leading shoulder back not only kept me on that curve, but it also deepened the entry edge for the back inside rocker, making it easier to execute.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have tried these tips and improved quite a bit, so thanks everyone.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    neck deep & stuck fast
    Posts
    991
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It helps me to make sure I'm on a true inside edge after the turn (rocker), so I'm not doing a 3-turn onto an outside edge. Makes it more stable for some reason.

    My issue with these is that they take me in a very tight little circle & I can't keep the flow going. I can do the first 1/2 of the new Novice exercise without much problem, but then it all grinds to a halt on the 2nd section w/ the rocker/choctaws!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •