vCash

Speedy Under Investigation

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...41585531_x.htm

"There isn't anything secret or anything wrong."

I suddenly find myself older than I ever intended to be--Roxy Hart in "Chicago"

vCash
    He has been "incompetent" since he took the job....

But I am not sure stupdity is his crime or that of those who put him in the position.

vCash
    Cinquanta acknowledged the deal was signed this year, which means it came after Pyeongchang was selected as one of the final three candidates. But he couldn't recall whether he was aware of Cho's status as bid leader when the deal was signed.

"It's very confusing. I'll tell you quite frankly that I really don't remember," Cinquanta said. "We've now gone through all the documents and this Mr. Cho never shows up. I never spoke with him about this."
    Convenient memory lapse.
    Cinquanta added that he didn't accept even "one Lira" from Cho, referring to the country's former currency before converting to the euro.
    Hmm, not one Lira ... but maybe a Euro or won?

vCash
    its so obvious! cinquanta i'm sure is well aware that Korean Air is part of the pyeongchang bid and still went ahead and signed the sponsorship deal. this is so blatant on Korean Air's part knowing especially that speedy is an IOC member and will vote in the Durban session. Denis Oswald the Rowing IOC member involved in the samsung issue has excused himself and will not vote for the 2018 hosting rights.

vCash
    News of such corruption is most terrible for the skaters.

vCash
    Please let this be the demise of that jerk-wad idiot. He is such a scandal in his own right it's a joke.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    It would be great if Speedy was gone. He is corrupt, for sure.

However, I do not think he did anything wrong in this specific instance.

It makes sense that a deal would be negotiated with a Korean company since the ISU's biggest star is Korean.

It would be absurd to suspect the ISU of corruption anytime they dealt with a Korean company since the ISU's most prominent athlete is Korean and many Koreans think she has more seniority than Mary.

I hope the ISU does more business with Korean companies in the future. It would be stupid if they did not.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 11-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    It would be great if Speedy was gone. He is corrupt, for sure.

However, I do not think he did anything wrong in this specific instance.

It makes sense that a deal would be negotiated with a Korean company since the ISU's biggest star is Korean.

It would be absurd to suspect the ISU of corruption anytime they dealt with a Korean company since the ISU's most prominent athlete is Korean and many Koreans think she has more seniority than Mary.

I hope the ISU does more business with Korean companies in the future. It would be stupid if they did not.
    Yes, i think the news is overblown and does not prove corruption, on the other hand is severe blow to Korean bid for 2018 Olympics. Interesting other federation have also signed deals like this eg, FISA(rowing - Samsung), i won't call him corrupt but may be incompetent and unsuitable for the job for which he is employed may be more accurate.

vCash
    [QUOTE/] ...Cinquanta added that he didn't accept even "one Lira" from Cho, referring to the country's former currency before converting to the euro.

"Look at all the international sporting events and the sponsors involved. If we take away the sponsors we'll be out of work," he said. "Sports survive on sponsorship." [/QUOTE]

That's too lame to come from an IOC member. I wonder what the question was from the interviewer. It looks like he/she had enough grounds to be so point blank. Regardless of all that, what an absurd answer from the one who's in charge! I now truly realize he's not the guy.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I will also add that Korean athletes are very prominent in SPEED SKATING . . . which means speed skating might actually have a chance to PAY FOR ITSELF rather than be subsidized by figure skating, for once, even if all the profits will come from SONG BIRD OF HEAVEN, PURE AS ICE, QUEEN YUNA {{ewww . . . got to shower now}}

vCash
    ^It's ALL YUNA's fault.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Even if this single incident really isn't serious enough to warrant ousting...let's face it, was it REALLY tax evasion that made us want to lock Al Capone up for life?

Get him on what you can get him on, if you can't get him on the hard stuff.

vCash
    The IOC isn't exactly a model of ethics itself, so if they are investigating Speedy it probably means one of two things:
    - something unethical really did happen
    OR
    - if they're afraid that someone might get on their case for this or something related to it, they'll talk to everyone involved, who will swear up and down that nothing was shady, and then they can say "look, we were pro-active and we looked into it and found no evidence of wrongdoing" (even if it's all highly suspicious even to outsiders)

In any case, it's pretty that a member of the IOC executive claims not to know who the head of the Korean Olympic bid committee is - which would seem to be a pretty important piece of information if you're evaluating bids for a $$$$$$ event. Maybe the IOC should fire Speedy for not bothering to do his job well.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Please -- he wasn't aware of who the head of the bid committee is? That is not credible. Not at all.

<<Overedge beat me.>>

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    This is just the latest in a long line of, at best, bad judgments on Speedy's part. The IOC has enough problems, they need a squeaky-clean ISU head. But the politiks are byzantine and I'm sure Speedy's lined enough pockets to protect himself.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Oy. I really would like to get rid of $peedy, but if it's true it would reflect badly on the ISU as a whole and that would not be one bit helpful. It just seems really... bizarre.