vCash

A question about being allowed to skate @ worlds

I am sitting here in Kingston watching practices at Skate Canada and a number of people have already come up to me with a great question - if skaters like Lysacek, Rochette and Kim don't compete during the Grand Prix series - should they be allowed to compete at Worlds? This is about skaters who have reasons other than medical to withdraw/not compete...

If you are ok with being quoted on CBC, please put an OK after your response!

Thanks for your support - men are about to take the ice for practice >>>cheers Pj

vCash
    I don't think Grand Prix participation should be attached to World Championship (or Euros or 4C) eligibility. Some skaters don't get the opportunity to compete on the GP circuit (they are new, injured, not high enough in ISU standings, whatever) and if they qualify though their country's national champsionship (or whom/whatever determines the world team) and they meet the age/nationality requirements, they should definitely be allowed to compete at Worlds. (OK)

INTJ
    vCash
    I don't see why the Grand Prix circuit should have anything to do with competing at worlds. Otherwise, the Grand Prix Final might as well be worlds. There's financial incentive for skaters to compete in the Grand Prix as well as the benefit of getting feedback on their programs from an international technical and judging panel. If they choose not to take advantage of this, it just means different skaters will get the competitive experience and we'll have dark horse competitors at worlds to make things a little more interesting.

Ok
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    I believe skaters like Yu-Na Kim, Evan Lysacek, and Joannie Rochette should be allowed to skate at Worlds if they wish to despite not competing during the Grand Prix Series. The figure skating season is so long that it's practically two seasons - the fall Grand Prix season from October to December and the winter season from January to March, which includes Nationals (Worlds qualifiers for North American skaters), Europeans (which many European nations use as Worlds qualifiers)/Four Continents, and Worlds. Skaters like Lysacek and Rochette would have to qualify for their respective national world teams based on their performances at their National Championships in January. Results from the Grand Prix season have never been used as a primary qualifier for a World team selection before. A strong Grand Prix series showing can set up a skater/team to make a favorable impression with the National judges and their National federations who decide on the maximum 3 skaters/teams who make up the world teams for each nation, but the skaters ultimately have to deliver good showings at their National Championships to qualify as a world team skater. The Grand Prix exists as a way for skaters to present their new programs to judges and to gain useful feedback and comfort in competitive environments with their new programs or new coach/choreographer teams or for junior level skaters to gain experience competing for the first time in the senior ranks.

Ok.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Currently, the Federations are responsible for determining criteria for the World team, although they can be threatened with sanctions if a skater bypasses GP and skates in shows. To make the GP a qualification criterion for Worlds means a transfer of authority from the Federations to the ISU.

While I think the ISU should be 100% responsible for the judges and officials, I disagree with transferring power to select teams to the ISU.

If a seeded skater bypasses the GP season, that is one more opportunity for non-seeded skaters to compete and get feedback. I think it's win/win, regardless of who skates.

(OK)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash
    Absolutely not. Skaters should be able to choose what events they feel they are ready for and able to do their best in. And if that means bypassing the GP series for the qualifying competitions leading up to Worlds, so be it. I personally feel that adding the GP series and the GP final to the competitive season has made the season way too long and too demanding for many skaters, and I don't blame them in the least for picking and choosing which events they want to participate in.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    No. GP events are invitational events that only allow for a limited number of skaters to compete. If skaters such as Lysacek, Rochette and Kim were mandated to compete in the GP series as a pre-qualifier for the World Championship, how many up and coming skaters would be denied the invaluable experience of skating at a GP event?

(OK)