Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Do C/L Need a Coaching Change?

Still getting over the shock of how bad they looked at NHK and how awful their programs are. They totally deserved 5th place. What happened to them?

When they left their Italian coaches they were in the top 10 and moving up. Last year with their new French coaches they were 12th. It seems likely they wont even make the GPF this year, and they were just passed by 2 teams straight out of juniors. At this rate, they'll be lucky to make top 15 at Worlds.

If I were them, I'd be looking around for new coaches ASAP - and I'd do it now and not wait til next season.

I think they also need new programs fast, so I'd also be looking for a new choreographer. Since they wont be in the GPF [most likely] they'll have some time to work on new programs before Euros.

But come on - Anna & Luca - stop screwing around in Lyons. Time to Say Goodbye.

vCash
    Hm, I wouldn't say their SD is awful. Especially because they won the Nebelhorn SD with it, even over P/B. I haven't had a chance to see their free dance though, so I can't comment on that.

When exactly did they move to the French coaches? It seems their placement at Worlds was more to do with a mistake than with bad programs or technique, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inflameduntamed View Post
    When exactly did they move to the French coaches?
    I'm not sure exactly when, but sometime before the last season [Olympic season] started. Before that, each year they were advancing forward. Last year [with the new coaches] they had that goth look, drug addict FD to god-awful music [which probably resulted in the "uplifting"rule talk] . Tastes differ, but I hated it and for whatever reason they didnt do well with it. C/P nearly beat them in GPF FD, and they fell to 12th at Worlds. It had to be more than 1 mistake for them to fall so much, and they werent doing that well all season.

It's more than just making an occasional mistake - which can happen to anybody. Or even just having a bad performance. Looking at last season and their opening now, it's a consistent slide - and in ice dance that's a very bad sign. Perception is important. Being passed by 2 junior teams should be a huge wake-up call to them.

To me, they looked obviously under-prepared for the NHK - and that is certainly the fault of the coaches. The music choice for the FD is odd to say the least, and Doris Day for the SD????? Ugh!

vCash
    It's more than just making an occasional mistake - which can happen to anybody.
    They have a huge consistency problem IMO. I don't know if it's nerves or what...but they seem to make mistakes all the time. And that's never good in ice dance.

vCash
    Will they get passed by Alessandrini and Vaturi at Italian Nationals? That is possible.

Whom should they go to? To Camarlengo, maybe? Surely not to Shpilband with everybody else in the world.

vCash
    Do you know what's happened to A/V? They suddenly have their names crossed out of their GP events. It's a shame, because a good result at GP for them would help them at Nationals. And C/L look definitely vulnerable.

As for who to go to - well I could say almost anyone would be an improvement on their present coach

Besides Camerlengo, there is C/P coaches, also Paul MacIntosh, there are also coaches in Italy [I dont know there names but I've seen them with couples] and I'm sure there are coaches in Russia too - 2 I know of are K/N's old coaches, and Gorshkov. So there are a lot of coaches around for them if they're looking - whcih they should be.

vCash
    I hated last year's FD but really enjoyed both of their programs this year. I think their problem is simply their inconsistency and perhaps they don't have as much difficulty outside of the required elements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Do you know what's happened to A/V? They suddenly have their names crossed out of their GP events. It's a shame, because a good result at GP for them would help them at Nationals. And C/L look definitely vulnerable.

As for who to go to - well I could say almost anyone would be an improvement on their present coach

Besides Camerlengo, there is C/P coaches, also Paul MacIntosh, there are also coaches in Italy [I dont know there names but I've seen them with couples] and I'm sure there are coaches in Russia too - 2 I know of are K/N's old coaches, and Gorshkov. So there are a lot of coaches around for them if they're looking - whcih they should be.
    I don't know what happened to A/V, but their names are still on the Skate Canada roster, as of today (oct 25)?

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007086.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I don't know what happened to A/V, but their names are still on the Skate Canada roster, as of today (oct 25)?

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007086.htm
    That's strange, because when I downloaded the PDF chart of Ice Dance participants for the 6 events, there was a line through their names both times. I wonder what's going on?

vCash
    C/L don't need a coaching change. You can see the improvement when they are ON. Their SD is amazing, the FD is just fine.

IMO, the inconsistency problem is psychological. How is the relantioship with their coaches? How is the relationship between them? Are they an off ice couple? Or was they?

F/S also suffered inconsistency troubles in the past.

vCash
    I thought Luca was from the Eville Side. He's too cute to be straight. At least that's what I dream everynight

vCash
    Haha. If I remember correctly, they did say they have dated before in an interview. I also remember them raising the possibility of working in Delaware with someone, but I don't know of who that would be.

Anyway, I don't think their last year was that bad. Two GP silvers and one of their better Euros placements. There wasn't much of a difference after the change to me. They still seem to be inconsistent but are getting slightly better and better results each time overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ituriel View Post
    F/S also suffered inconsistency troubles in the past.
    This.

F&S languished in the bottom half of top of the top ten for years.(9th,9th,8th,9th) I remember after their disastrous 9th place finish in 2007 there was speculation that they would be passed by C&L by the 2010 Games.

Much like F&S, C&L just need to get good programs and get over their consistency issues.

I'm willing to give the current FD another shot when skated well, as I like the potential vibe the program has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    F&S languished in the bottom half of top of the top ten for years.(9th,9th,8th,9th) I remember after their disastrous 9th place finish in 2007 there was speculation that they would be passed by C&L by the 2010 Games.
    Isnt that why they went to Krylova/Camerlengo? I thought their placements started improving substantially with their new coaches [not to mention their skating and their programs.]

vCash
    I'd like to believe Tanith's assessment of C&L's FD performance-- that is was a bad outing and they should forget it and move on. I'd like to believe this because I loved this team when they first came on the senior scene. But, I also question the wisdom of giving a gorgeous young couple a drug-addict themed program last year and this year choreographing that horrible crotch lift that is in both their SD and their FD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Isnt that why they went to Krylova/Camerlengo? I thought their placements started improving substantially with their new coaches [not to mention their skating and their programs.]
    Yes. Complete transformation from 2007 to 2008. I really thought they had the best FD at 2008 Worlds.

And that came late for them. (I think Scali was 28 at the time?)

There's still a long time for C&L.

vCash
    Yes. Complete transformation from 2007 to 2008. I really thought they had the best FD at 2008 Worlds.

I loved F/S's 2008 FD. I think it's my favourite FD from them. But then again, 2008 Worlds had so much wonderful dances. It was like the best FD night I've ever seen, so many unforgettable ones! And btw, Anna and Luca had great programs back then too and looked very promising.

Yes, C/L still have time. People seem to forget that hitting 30 and still competeting in ice dancing is quite normal.

on the other hand, it's sad to see what's going on with them now, but come on, they're coached by Del/Schoe's coaches, how bad can it get? I really agree with those who claim it's all their inconsistency problem.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    I thought Luca was from the Eville Side. He's too cute to be straight. At least that's what I dream everynight
    His coach is totally dreamy too! Anna and Sylvia Fontana (with John Zimmerman) may be the luckiest Italian women alive to be surrounded by such beautiful, sexy men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    I'd like to believe Tanith's assessment of C&L's FD performance-- that is was a bad outing and they should forget it and move on. I'd like to believe this because I loved this team when they first came on the senior scene. But, I also question the wisdom of giving a gorgeous young couple a drug-addict themed program last year and this year choreographing that horrible crotch lift that is in both their SD and their FD.
    Thank you! Whoever thought that crotch lift was a good idea may be smoking something. Tanith's reaction to it was hilarious but not as funny as my husband's:

"Ummm...that's legal?"

vCash

But my point was - in the case of F/S their improvement was immediate and sustained. The looked and skated better from their first season with K/C - and their marks reflected it. They started moving up.

This is now C/L 2nd season with these coaches and all they've done is lose ranking. They need better coaches - and they need them fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast