Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

ISU Communication No. 1655: Decisions of the ISU Council (including JGP 2011-12 info)

Published today, October 27 - Communication No. 1655: Decisions of the ISU Council

The 2013 Four Continents Championships are provisionally awarded to Osaka, Japan (dates are February 5-10).

Re. the JGP in 2011-12, there will be 7 events again:
    2. Allotments ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2011/12
    The Council has made the following allotments:

August 31-September 4, 2011 Riga/Latvia including Pair Skating
    September 7-11, 2011 Brisbane/Australia
    September 14-18, 2011 Gdansk/Poland including Pair Skating
    September 21-25, 2011 Brasov /Romania
    September 28-October 2, 2011 Innsbruck/Austria including Pair Skating
    October 5-9, 2011 Milan/Italy
    October 12-16, 2011 Tallinn/Estonia including Pair Skating
    The allotment of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (junior and senior combined) remains pending.

Effective the season 2011/12 the Council decided to reduce the entries to the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Based on the results of the individual events of this series, there shall be 6 qualified couples for Ice Dance and 6 qualified couples for Pair Skating while the Single Skating (Ladies and Men) 8 entries each are maintained.

vCash
    Go Brisbane!!! Yeah!
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Effective the season 2011/12 the Council decided to reduce the entries to the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Based on the results of the individual events of this series, there shall be 6 qualified couples for Ice Dance and 6 qualified couples for Pair Skating while the Single Skating (Ladies and Men) 8 entries each are maintained.
    Oh, for the love of god.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Any guesses for what the rationale is for reducing dance and pairs to 6, while keeping 8 for singles? I guess I understand for pairs, since only 4 events have a pairs event, but what's the point in making it tougher for dancers to make the Final?

I guess it cuts costs a bit, but then why not cut costs more and reduce all 4 disciplines to 6?

vCash
    The cut of JGPF entries for pairs is reasonable. Not so much for Dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emilieh View Post
    I guess it cuts costs a bit, but then why not cut costs more and reduce all 4 disciplines to 6?
    Don't put ideas in their heads.

The thing is that I suspect that the ISU council actually hates skating. Speedy has to at least. The moronic idea from last season to make a break before the first and second group and then provide "entertainment" to the audience because they were surely be bored with skating by then and needed a break just goes to show that they don't understand our enthusism for skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    The thing is that I suspect that the ISU council actually hates skating. Speedy has to at least. The moronic idea from last season to make a break before the first and second group and then provide "entertainment" to the audience because they were surely be bored with skating by then and needed a break just goes to show that they don't understand our enthusism for skating.
    Ok, ??? Why not just turn it into the Thanksgiving Day Parade?

No idea what cutting down the number of dance teams is going to do for anyone...

vCash
    who's hosting 4cc's in 2012?

vCash
    To reduce the cost of the JGPF, I propose to suppress this event.

vCash

vCash
    It makes sense with pairs, but having one less qualifier than number of events is idiotic.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    It makes sense with pairs, but having one less qualifier than number of events is idiotic.
    Good point. What if 7 different couples each win an event and take silver or bronze in the other?

Well, then there'll be a tie for 6th place, or a three-way tie for 5th or four-way for 4th, and you'd end up with 7 teams in the final anyway.

vCash
    I really hope USA gets the final, since it seems odd they wouldn't have any JGP events 2 years in a row!

vCash
    Did they ask for one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Good point. What if 7 different couples each win an event and take silver or bronze in the other?

Well, then there'll be a tie for 6th place, or a three-way tie for 5th or four-way for 4th, and you'd end up with 7 teams in the final anyway.
    Not necessarily. It'll become a really crazy war over who got the highest scores and whatever. Not a fun way to be left out of the JGPF.

vCash
    Beginning in 2012, there will be a Jr. World Synchronized Skating Championships, too.

Considering the 2010 ISU Congress decision to implement the ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships under certain financial conditions, the Council decided to implement the ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships as of the season 2011/12. ISU Figure Skating Members will be informed shortly of the applicable financial and other conditions and will be invited to send applications to host this Championships.

vCash
    UGH, THIS IS RIDICULOUS

vCash
    Gdańsk! I'm reserving a free week by the sea in September next year .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    Oh, for the love of god.

Bets on when the ISU JGP is reduced from 7 to 6 events.

Who is volunteering to become a martyr and blow themselves up in the ISU headquarters in Swissland? Jackie you're closest.

Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Gdańsk! I'm reserving a free week by the sea in September next year .
    Woop woop and I am joining you.

vCash
    What's the big deal? The Junior Grand Prix Final is not the end-all-be-all of the sport. The reduction in spots only means that the final will consist of more elite dancers. All teams will still have a chance to gain important international experience on the JGP circuit, which is the goal for most teams anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast