Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284

    Dropping Like Flies!

    Just reported by Sarah Brannen and Drew Meekins on Twitter:

    • Brezina having surgery
    • Dobbs and Jacobsen split
    • Tommy Steenberg out for the season


    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

    What next????

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,425
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    a cancellation of the season for too few competitors????

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No, D/J? UGH. I liked them. Last year, I remember thinking about how much potential they had.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    No, D/J? UGH. I liked them. Last year, I remember thinking about how much potential they had.
    I agree. It made me sad.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Entre Pinto y Valdemoro
    Posts
    703
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What happened to Brezina? Is he out for long?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere obsessing about ice dancing
    Posts
    1,041
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I agree. It made me sad.
    D/J split already? Why can't our US Pairs stay together?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    returned to the sekret
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,258
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    What happened to Brezina? Is he out for long?
    I don't know exactly, something about veins in his groin?
    Anyway he had surgery and should be back on ice at the end of this week. He has to take it slowly though; in 2 weeks he is allowed to jump again.

    http://zimni-sporty.erasport.cz/c-56...r-brezina.html
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

  8. #8
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,311
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16934
    There's also a Oct. 19th Czech article link posted in the Brezina thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...6&postcount=28

    Maybe it's time to start up an "injured skater list" again...

    ETA: Dobbs/Jacobsen's rumored split was first mentioned in the Pairs Splits Season 2010/2011 thread in GSD. Their names have been removed from USFS' Team C envelope, so it's official now.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-27-2010 at 06:00 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by newbatgirl View Post
    D/J split already? Why can't our US Pairs stay together?
    I think it's because pairs isn't our strongest discipline and every pairs skater wants to be the one to change that.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    I'm so sorry that Steenberg is out for the season, but he's right, mono can take months and months to get over. I hope he's able to do really well in school this year and come back strong next season.

    With respect to Brezina, I've been wondering if the translated "varicose veins" might really have been an abdominal aneurysm?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm so sorry that Steenberg is out for the season, but he's right, mono can take months and months to get over. I hope he's able to do really well in school this year and come back strong next season.

    With respect to Brezina, I've been wondering if the translated "varicose veins" might really have been an abdominal aneurysm?
    I doubt if it was an abdominal aneurysm, it would have involved the aorta, and that's not something that you get over in two weeks. However, what concerns me is that sometimes, when someone has some abnormalities that involve veins,etc., it may be indicative of other arterial/venous malformations elsewhere.

  12. #12
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,689
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15340
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I think it's because pairs isn't our strongest discipline and every pairs skater wants to be the one to change that.
    I wonder if Dobbs' success at Four Continents has made her focus more on her singles skating.

    It does seem that many US Pairs have skaters that also compete in singles. Is that common outside North America (haven't there been a few Canadian ladies who do both on the senior level as well)?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    397
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In Russia it is not common. Once you switch to pairs, you compete only in pairs.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I wonder if Dobbs' success at Four Continents has made her focus more on her singles skating.
    From the icenetwork article...
    "He decided a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to take a break from competitive skating, which is kind of disappointing and sad for me," she said. "I really enjoyed skating with him. I already miss pairs and it's only been three weeks. After nationals I want to see what I can do and if the opportunity presents itself I want to try it again."

    Makes it sound like it was his decision...not hers?

  15. #15
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    14,926
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15443
    I hope Brezina will recover quickly. I was really looking forward to seeing how he progressed this season.

    And I'm sorry that Steenburg will be out, but he sounds like he is making the most of it by using his extra time for studies and dance.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fogerty View Post
    From the icenetwork article...
    "He decided a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to take a break from competitive skating, which is kind of disappointing and sad for me," she said. "I really enjoyed skating with him. I already miss pairs and it's only been three weeks. After nationals I want to see what I can do and if the opportunity presents itself I want to try it again."

    Makes it sound like it was his decision...not hers?
    I was about to post the same thing. He may legitimately want to retire.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,425
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Each to his own, but I wouldn't want a partner who divided their time between two different disciplines.

  18. #18
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,689
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15340
    Well, that was what I was wondering - if Jacobsen decided he didn't want to deal with the accommodations of her singles training. But I would hope he'd try to find another partner if that was the case, not retire.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Well, that was what I was wondering - if Jacobsen decided he didn't want to deal with the accommodations of her singles training. But I would hope he'd try to find another partner if that was the case, not retire.
    He was injured for a while in the summer (I read about that while she was at Champs Camp). Maybe he just decided that he was tired of it.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,829
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Aw, that's too bad about Dobbs/Jacobsen. Too bad she's as tall as she is. . . Drew is still partnerless!

    Good luck to Evan in his recovery! Cracks me up that he was all worried about toe point (actually, ankle bend will probably be more difficult to regain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •