vCash

Post Marley, Brubaker have eyes on Greensboro

From IceNetwork:

Mary Beth Marley, the 2009 national novice silver medalist, had been on the radar screen for many pairs coaches around the country. Not only does she have strong skills as a singles skater, but she stands at just 4-9, the perfect size for a pairs skater.

But the 15-year-old from Chicago kept joking that she would only skate in pairs if Rockne Brubaker asked her to be his partner.
    Brubaker was so disheartened by missing out on the Winter Games that he admitted he couldn't tune in to the Opening Ceremony and couldn't watch much of the pairs event. In June, McLaughlin and Brubaker announced the end of their partnership.

When asked if he considered quitting competitive skating, Brubaker sighed.

"I did,'' he said. "I thought maybe I should move back home. I didn't want to feel like I was taking a step back.''

But his coach, John Nicks, scheduled some tryouts anyway. After one tryout with another skater, Marley trekked out from Illinois to California. For two weeks before her tryout, Marley worked on pairs moves with Jeremy Allen, a national pairs competitor who is now a coach. The work paid off.

"She came out and we did a throw triple Lutz,'' Brubaker said. "It's not like we were flying across the ice or anything, but still ... it was impressive. I had a couple of other tryouts set up after that with other skaters and I told my coach after skating with Mary Beth that I didn't want to try out with anybody else.''

Ever since, it's been hard for Brubaker to wipe the smile off his face.
    I wish them the best of luck! They have huge potential.

vCash
    Best of luck to them! I really hope it works out for Rockne this time. Looking forward to seeing them skate.

vCash
    I like them! I hope to see them in Greensboro.

vCash
    I'm glad he's happy in training. I hope things come together for them.

vCash
    I keep confusing Marley with Marlie.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I spoke with my coach today, who was also MBM's singles coach before the move. She encouraged MBM to go do the tryout, and said she watched Jeremy Allen working with her before the move out there, and then saw the progress with Rockne. She said MBM was picking up things amazingly fast, and wouldn't at all be surprised to se them on the podium at Nationals. I hope she's right!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I wish them all the best!

vCash
    I know nothing about MBM besides what I've read since she and Rockne teamed up but I loooove Rockne so I'm really hoping they do well. I'm excited to see how they do.

vCash
    I hope the new pair make it to Nationals.

Missing the Olympics and Worlds must have hurt.

vCash
    Marley/Brubaker technically have qualified for 2011 Nationals because there are less than 4 Senior pairs scheduled for Pacific Coast Sectionals next month (I believe a competition won't be held). Marley is also looking to qualify for Nationals in singles and should be a contendor in the Junior Ladies event at Coasts.

Another excerpt from the article:
    Marley and Brubaker raced through all of their pairs tests in a span of a week and a half and are now practicing their programs. The short program is to music from Elizabeth and the free skate is to The Addams Family. Marley and Brubaker are training in Aliso Viejo, Calif.

Marley is continuing to compete in singles skating and placed second in junior ladies behind Courtney Hicks at the Southwest Pacific Regional in Burbank, Calif., earlier this month.
    Here's a photo of Marley/Brubaker skating in the Weiss Foundation show this past Sunday that I linked from the earlier thread in GSD: Brubaker finds new partner.

And here is one fan's impressions of their exhibition performance that was posted in the Weiss Foundation show thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    I thought we might get an early look at Marley and Brubaker's SP, but they chose to do an exhibition program. At this time of year, I wouldn't expect any team to have a new exhibition program well polished, even an experienced team. I hope they're spending most of their practice time on competitive elements and unison in the SP and FS. I saw a lot of positive signs in the exhibition: They did a high double twist, and he caught her way above the ice. They did a lasso lift that went to one hand and looked fine in the air, but had problems coming down. In both the lasso lift and a carry lift Mary Beth had nice air positions, which is much to their credit considering she had no previous pairs experience. Her flexibility will be a plus in pairs. Their speed was fine under the circustances; it doesn't look like she's going to hold him back in that regard. And we know she can jump.

I didn't think Mary Beth looked shockingly young, but of couse I was aware of the age difference and didn't expect her to look as old as Rockne. In any case, I think the difference will be quite a bit less noticeable when she's made up for competition and skating a better-trained program.

It will be interesting to see how much progress they can make by Nationals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.