45 48.39%
  • Pang & Tong

22 23.66%
  • Kavaguti & Smirnov

26 27.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

World Pairs Champion in 2011

At this early juncture of the season which of the 3 pairs do you think will win the World title this year.

vCash
    All three of them have a chance at winning. The pairs' competition will be interesting to watch at Worlds. Although I'm not a big fan of Kavaguti & Smirnov, it would be nice to see them win, as Pang & Tong and Savchenko & Szolkowy already have two gold medals.

vCash
    I want Savchenko and Szolkowy to win, but I wouldn't be upset or anything if Kavaguti and Smirnov win. I think K/S finally have a program that could help them win. K/S and S/S have such different programs that if they both skate clean it will come down to levels and taste on the PCS.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    If S&S can skate cleanly, I think they'll win.

vCash
    While K/S, free program is lovely this year, the first program from them I actually enjoy watching, I'm worried about their short program leaving them behind because it really is not a very strong program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    While K/S, free program is lovely this year, the first program from them I actually enjoy watching, I'm worried about their short program leaving them behind because it really is not a very strong program.
    No, it really isn't strong. I missed it the other morning and just went to watch it. I think I had high hopes because of the free program, but I felt really let down.

The thing is though, I don't know what kind of program I think they should do. I would like to see something really edgy from them. I think he could definitely pull it off and Yuka is such a hard worker that she would figure out a way to pull it off.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the top pairs re who is in and who is out this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Accoring to the judges it was the third stongest SP this season, and they really aren't done working on it yet. If they would have got credit for the last lift in the FS they would have the second highest FS score ahead of P/T.

I had no idea they were off ice for 4 months this summer, I think everything should really come together by the end of the season.

vCash
    I would like S/S to win but I wouldn't be surprised to see K/S take it.

vCash
    Not much support for Pang & Tong. And I concur with that. They will easily remain the #1 Chinese team for now as Sui & Han are ineligible for Worlds this season, but they peaked last year probably. Based on their skating so far I would be surprised if they defended their title, more likely a silver or bronze for them.

I see the Germans most likely taking it this year, but Kavaguti & Smirnov could if they actually skate cleanly and improve their short program.

vCash
    I think S&S will win but I would like to see K&S win their first world title in 2011, so I voted with my heart rather than with my head.

vCash
    As a big P/T fan, I can't help but think that staying in after last year was a mistake. Am I right in thinking they're wanting to go on until Sochi?! That, to me, is crazy. They've had a wonderful career, and last year was its peak. They're both 30+ and with all due respect, they're no S/Z, even at their best. I can't see them pulling a S/Z in 2014. If they're still loving skating of course, then good on em, but I can't see them ever topping 2010. It'd be nice if they proved me wrong though.

My guess is S/S and K/S battle for the gold, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Russians take it, their LP is lurrrvely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    As a big P/T fan, I can't help but think that staying in after last year was a mistake. Am I right in thinking they're wanting to go on until Sochi?! That, to me, is crazy. They've had a wonderful career, and last year was its peak. They're both 30+ and with all due respect, they're no S/Z, even at their best. I can't see them pulling a S/Z in 2014. If they're still loving skating of course, then good on em, but I can't see them ever topping 2010. It'd be nice if they proved me wrong though.

My guess is S/S and K/S battle for the gold, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Russians take it, their LP is lurrrvely.
    The Chinese federation are probably wanting P/T to stay in until Sui/Han establish themselves more, and they arent eligible for Worlds until next season I believe. The Zhangs are done, they might return to skate but they will never win another World medal most likely. They need P/T around to have a viable contender at the moment.

I also understand them wanting to continue after their best season ever and for the first time ever having full support as their countries #1 team. What does it matter if they arent Shen/Zhou, Shen/Zhou are retired and are now certain to never return, so it is not like they have to compete against Shen/Zhou again.

vCash
    It looks like K&S are the strongest right now, so I voted them, but who knows what will happen by the end of the season. I'm disappointed in P&T so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I also understand them wanting to continue after their best season ever and for the first time ever having full support as their countries #1 team. What does it matter if they arent Shen/Zhou, Shen/Zhou are retired and are now certain to never return, so it is not like they have to compete against Shen/Zhou again.
    No, that wasn't the context I meant. What I meant was that staying in until Sochi to go for gold is a long shot - something S/Z managed to do in Vancouver, but P/T aren't in the same league as them. I agree though that P/T might be hanging around until they can hand the mantle over to one of the younger teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

After the 2010 Olympics I had read that P&T want to go to Sochi. I don't see anything wrong with it. I am not their fan and honestly have no desire to see them there. However, if that's what they want to do, I don't see age as a factor. S&Z were in their thirties in 2010 (Hongbo was in his thirties in 2006 I think). For pairs it's not unrealistic to skate at a high level past age 30. I am not sure if they have plateaued in their skating. If they want to improve upon something, I wish they would work on Pang's posture, position in the air on lifts, and their unison on spins.

vCash
    P/T should be retire. Having won 2 World titles, O silver and numerous medals is more than what other would have accompalished. Both always look thin and I wonder will their body hold up to Sochi.

vCash
    Voted for K/S, becuase I kind of want them to win .
    They have gorgeous LP this season, and a solid SP.
    S/S are experimenting with non-drama style, and for me it is a bit OTT. Both programs ala their own Lost in Space SP - is a bit annoying imo.
    P/T have a wonderful SP, and a solid LP, but they've been utilizing the same style for years, so its getting boring.
    None of the pairs are super-consistent, so probably the cleanest will win.

vCash
    Whether S/S or K/S win, I would like to see. Also hope V/T get a medal!

vCash
    Not meant to hijack the thread but I was curious about the status of these other top pairs who aren't considered part of the mix to take the world title but could possibly figure into a podium finish if healthy. I didn't think it merited another thread-

D/D - are they out for the season or just until CAN nats and Worlds?

Z/Z - I think I read they were also injured earlier this year. Are they out all season or just until Worlds?

V/T - Will they be a team and ready to go by Russian nats? They are obviously not on the GP circuit. They are being mentioned more than once in this thread

Thanks for any clarification!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast